Need an opinion here....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need an opinion here....

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need an opinion here....

Okay, so I have an unfired Yugo with a canted front sight. Yes, I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, and I know the fix, but....Is it worth having it done (a local gunsmith wants $150), or should I just leave it? If I drift the front sight post out to the left enough, it compensates, and all is good. But DANG....it looks funky leaving it like that. Fix it, or leave it? I have already replaced the rear leaf with the same issue. Ugh.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself among the ranks of the insane"
    Marcus Aurelius

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11750 times
    Fix it, especially if the smith says he knows how and is capable.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2200 times
    All the smiths I've ever encountered in this town didn't know shit about AK's...
    Iffin he's competent, I'd go for it.

That said, check out Peacemakers on Hacienda and Decatur. Not for smithing, but for da AK's.
    I feel like a child in that store.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sensei View Post
    Okay, so I have an unfired Yugo with a canted front sight... If I drift the front sight post out to the left enough, it compensates, and all is good.
    1d9.jpg

It's been fired and it's off zero, or it just looks like it's off zero?
    Thrasher likes this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

©Daedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's definitely off-zero. I used a laser bore sighter, and the cant is to the left. It's actually visible if you look down the barrel. I have to drift the sight a lot to the left to compensate. I have heard of people tapping it with a hammer buffered with a piece of wood to get it to line up. I don't think I have the guts to try that one. Still...$150 to fix the sight. Hmm....
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself among the ranks of the insane"
    Marcus Aurelius

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try Rifle Dynamics. Oh, DAMN....that is some serious stuff right there. Also M13 Industries....they do AK gunsmithing. I am going there on Tuesday to see what they charge.
    Marcus Aurelius

Member #
    Liked
    10043 times
    A laser boresighter doesn't really tell the full story. I've had more than a few rifles that were dead on but the laser boresight was off.
    Thrasher and trevorakm like this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

©Daedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2200 times
    I'd say shoot it first, I don't really trust boresighters. Hit or miss (pun) in my experience.
    Is this a fun gun, or a serious one? If a fun gun, and it zeroes, leave it.
    If this thing may be called on to go above and beyond to protect your life, get it aligned. No sense dealing with a jacked up sight picture AND having to make hits.
    Walleye and Mike Sensei like this.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2076 times
    Personally I could not live with a canted front sight. I'd fix it. If a buck-fifty solves your problem it's money well spent.

I AM bit OCD what it comes to my inventory though, so there's that. My sights are all straight as arrows and I've checked them with all kinds of gauges and levels but sometimes I almost have myself convince they're just slightly off and it irks the shit out of me. Welcome to my world.
    trevorakm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    52086 times
    A dead blow hammer on a padded surface can do wonders.
    Don't beat the crap out of it, just a swift hit or two, it can take it.
    Gman and Thrasher like this.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm the same way. Yeah, I gotta do something about it.
    Marcus Aurelius

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times
    Traak’s got the right idea...search fix ak front canted sight on the internet, there is a video of it.
    Last edited by Gman; 08-05-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    TRAAK's and Mike Sensei like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Agreed. I'll take it to the range. However, I can actually see the cant if I look down the barrel. Even the rear leaf pivot pin was tilted, so I had to replace that right from the get-go. If I gotta spend the bucks, then what the heck...considering the price I paid for an unfired Yugo.
    Marcus Aurelius

Member #
    Liked
    1060 times
    If your in Vegas I would call up rifle dynamics and see if they could take care of you. That way your not shipping anything out(assuming they are in vegas). I bet it wouldnít be a crazy lead time. Call them. And if thatís the shop thatís charging $150, then that sounds about right. Probably other guys would do it cheaper however you know that RD at least knows what they are doing...
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    732 times
    $150?!

Drive out the pins, tap the front sight to straighten, redrill (or ream) holes, reinsert pins.
    Thrasher likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors