A Glock After 86000 Rounds
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: A Glock After 86000 Rounds

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times

A Glock After 86000 Rounds

Well, 86,126 to be exact. This is a one owner Gen2 bought new in October of 1988 that has been used in competition for most of it's life. While it was mostly retired around 80,000 rounds, it s still used in matches now and then. Just for fun, I field stripped it and took some pictures comparing it to a Gen4 with 750 rounds down the pipe. It's interesting to see just how well the finish and mechanicals have held up over the years.

The Gen2 is up top. Notice how smooth the frame is in the area surrounding the trigger pin running from the rear of the take down divot to just in front of the slide release. That's so smooth from a thumb rubbing against it over the course of almost 31 years.

Here's the other side:

Again, the Gen2 is at the top. The sights have been replaced but it's stock otherwise. This pistol has many times outshot custom built race guns costing thousands of dollars. To paraphrase the owner (who has won many a match with this old Glock), "It doesn't matter how much your pistol costs bud or how fancy it is if you don't practice with it."

Here, the slides have been removed to show the rails:

For the first 50,000 rounds, it was almost never lubricated and cleaned even less.

A few exterior shots of the slides. In all three the Gen2 is at the top of the frame:

Note the general lack of finish wear. That's one tough coating!

Front with the workhorse on the left:

A view inside. Which is which should be obvious:

And the rear with the 2 on the right:

The firing pin broke at around 48,000 and Glock replaced it for free. In fact, Glock has never charged a penny for any service and one time it was shipped out on a Monday and was back home by Friday. That, my friends, is Customer Service! While we're on the subject, the trigger spring broke around 26,000 rounds. There have never been any other breakages. At 50,000 rounds, the pistol was returned to Glock to have all springs replaced as preventative maintenance. The recoil spring has been switched out every 3-6000 rounds since new.

The breech face on the 2:

And on the 4:

I'll be back with more in a bit.
    Gman, Walleye, Moses1986 and 7 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1007 times
    Great write up, thanks for sharing.
    Wilhelm, sniper48 and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    Thanks!...a gun like that is worth way more than dollars and cents...I've owned Glocks for about the last 16 years and I love 'em...they're the ak's of the pistol world...
    Wilhelm and scottyb like this.
    Akforum member #234...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    The frame rails on the 2 have developed little dimples over the years but it wore to a point and stopped:

It has never affected reliability though. In 86,126 rounds there have been exactly 5 stoppages and 3 of those were from the same box of reloaded ammo. For practice, this pistol has always been fed a steady diet of the lowest cost ammo available at the time of purchase, whether it be steel or brass cased, factory new or reloaded. Glock is clearly the AK of pistols. There may be equals but there are none better. I say that and I don't even own one although I'm told this one will be given to me at some point for preservation.

The same area on the 4:

I assume it will have little divots some day too.

Moving on to the frame, here are a couple general shots of the Gen2:

Again, notice the area on the left side view around the trigger pin worn smooth from use.

And the Gen4:

The slide releases with the 2 on the left showing the finish almost completely gone:

Here is a closeup of the Gen4 takedown latch:

Compare that with the latch on the Gen2:

It used to be as prominent as the other one but it's been worn down to the point of being hard to grasp. My God, I absolutely LOVE to see stuff like this!!!

Top view of the 2 frame:

And the 4:

More to follow.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    It is amazing how it held up. This is my first time seeing a firearm with that high counted rounds. Thank you
    Wilhelm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    A closeup of the front right frame rail on the Gen2 (left) and the front left rail on the Gen4 (right):

There is no point in showing the other rails as all look the same. By now it should be clear that money spent on an Austrian made Gen2 is money very well spent. I can't speak for newer versions but a Gen2 is clearly a TANK.

Front and rear views of the barely used Gen4 frame locking block:

Compared to the same views of the Gen2:

Next up is the recoil springs. The Gen4 is on the right:

Originally, the Gen 2 had a non-captive recoil spring. As previously mentioned, it was changed out every 3-6000 rounds and different weight springs were used depending on the match. Once it was semi-retired, a more modern captive assembly (shown) was installed simply for convenience sake.

One more post to go. In that one, we'll look at the barrel but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. See you then!
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 08-02-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    Great post and pics! Very informative and interesting...thanks for sharing!

Robert
    Wilhelm likes this.
    WTB/WTT

Member #
    Liked
    1068 times
    That Glock is a little over 1 years older than I am:P I have a Gen 3 Glock 30 that I haven't put too many rounds through, I hope it holds out as well as yours did!!

Thank you for Posting
    Wilhelm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Hmmm, and they say it won't hold up over time.
    Wilhelm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4742 times

Great write up and pics as usual. I am looking forward to the next installment.
    Wilhelm likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11719 times
    Awesome! Can't wait to see how well the barrel held up on this one.
    10Gauge and Wilhelm like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2065 times
    Nice one, Wilhelm. I'm definitely showing this link around to some of my people.

...The EG Raindrop Camo backdrop was a nice touch!
    scottyb and Wilhelm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this.
    Wilhelm likes this.
    WTB: PLO kits & other rare kits...PM me if you have one to sell!

Member #
    Liked
    8057 times
    Gen2 and early to mid production 3 were the best. Gen1 were just as good except the very early ones did have issues with drop fire. Late 3s started to incorporate the new extractor that was such a nightmare in gen4. To be fair the gun still worked. It shot, extracted and re chambered the next round. Just the extraction would be straight back into the user's face and sometimes the problem didn't develop until around a thousand rounds into the use. So, technically you could still rely on the gun if need be.

The finish on the old ones was amazing. My own early gen 3 has been riding in a holster every day since 2003. That doesn't count the countless classes, range trips and just general use. There is no finish wear. Glock stopped using that finish because the application was extremely poisonous to the person applying it.

I just recently had a gunsmith do a complete disassembly and cleaning as well as replacing all the springs. After 16 years of riding in an IWB holster the internals were full of lint and due to sweat and rain many of the springs were completely rusted and one was broken. I didn't clean is often or thoroughly. When I did it was just a quick wipe of the internal surfaces with an oily patch. With all that you'd think it would malfunction. Not at all. In fact I didn't even notice anything wrong. I don't keep track of rounds fired but in the last 5 years or so I've been going through roughly 6k rounds a year. Since I rotate my ammo I just base it on how much I buy. Once one case is down to a few boxes I order another one. Anything from Russian steel case to NATO 124gr.

These are the greatest end of the world guns. Keep a couple springs on hand and maybe a barrel..... maybe.

Today there are many great polymer designed guns but none as tested, proven and prolific as the Glock 9mm

Lately I've been really really really thinking about getting the gen 5. I'm a lefty and practicing malfunction drills requires 3 hands for me......and takes an ungodly long time! The new gen5 is ambidextrous

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    The last thing we need to look at is the barrel so lets get right to it.

The Gen2 is at the top:

Here is a closer look at the finish wear from the spring and front bushing:

Clearly built to last.

The rear of the barrel lug on the Gen4:

And on the Gen2:

I asked about the damage. When was it noticed and does it cause concern? I was told that this just slowly happened over time and that it doesn't bother the owner at all. He could not pinpoint any particular occurrences or any flakes found when cleaning. My understanding is that this is just gradual wear.

The front of the barrel lug on the 4:

And the 2:

It's a little battered but obviously still doing its thing.

The crowns compared with the 2 on the left:

The crown on the 4 is in better focus so it looks sharper. In reality, I could see no difference between the two.

This second to last picture is the bore on a Glock after 750 rounds:

And here is the bore on a Glock after 86,126 rounds:

If you ask me, it looks as good as the other one. On a typical range trip, this barrel sees anywhere from 300-600 rounds. That's a lot of rounds at one time and I'm sure it gets pretty toasty so, to me, that makes the general lack of wear all the more impressive.

As I said at the outset, I don't own a Glock and I've never had the desire to. BUT, I would love to own this Glock simply because I'm in awe of its condition after so many years of real use and so many rounds of all kinds of ammo varying in both manufacture and quality, some of which was admittedly pretty crappy reloads. Whatever you think of the general design or the newer models, it's pretty clear to me that Glock built the 9mm Gen2's to last and last. I know I would trust my life to it. So that's it for this one. I hope you enjoyed it. I know working it up provided me with a pleasant afternoon with an old friend. That alone made it worth doing. See you next time!
    Arik, Walleye, Moses1986 and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors