Highpoints and Peanuts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Highpoints and Peanuts

Member #
    Liked
    8212 times

Highpoints and Peanuts

.....this is what I paid $8 to see at a gun show!

Advertised as 400 tables but I assumed it would be less. Figured 300 +/-. Instead it was about 50, maybe less. 1/3 of those were chocolates, peanuts, jewelry, trinkets. The rest were Century products and Highpoints. Walked it 3 times just to get my monies worth.

Ammo was overpriced even for a gun show. $115 for 500 Winchester 147gr 9mm. So..... $230 per case. I can pay $10 and get a case of 45acp or $170 for case of 9. Only redeeming thing, barely, is I got to see a few milsurp rifles.

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    I haven’t been to a show in years, just for that reason.
    Averageman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yup, I stopped going to them as well. The prices are absurdly high, the inventory isn’t great and vendors act like arrogant turds for some reason when you try to kindly negotiate down from their “bend you over a fence” pricing. Sadly, another pastime on the way out.
    maus45 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Walked it 3 times just to get my monies worth.
    Got your exercise, Cheaper then the gym??? 😂😂😂 I need to go to one here in Texas sometime.

Member #
    Liked
    1852 times
    Years ago, I did the computer shows. They used to be real good. Then the cell phone accessory tables started showing up. So less people would come. Then prices went up to make up for less people. Then less people would show up because it was getting expensive. Then the vendors would skip the shows as there weren't enough people there to make money. The tables that they left empty were taken up by cell phone accessory vendors. Less people would show up because there were more cell phone accessories being sold than computers. Then the prices would go up to offset the lower amount of people.

I can see the gun shows doing the same thing. Ironically, one of the places I did the computer shows now does the big local gun show.
    RustySnake likes this.
    Blahpony confirmed as Darth Paydirt - 10Gauge

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3920 times
    Check the show vendor policies. If the show doesn't have a strict rule against food and non-firearms related junk, it typically won't be worth going to. Its like the only shows where there's any hope of finding something interesting are in some of the smaller towns (that the dealers won't mess with) and larger cities (that will bring in some collector-grade tables).
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3631 times
    What show did ya hit bud?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2089 times
    The last one I went to was about 4 years ago when the wife came to the States. An "American Gun Show" is something a lot of foreigners want to check off their lists when they come here so I showed her one. Before that was in '10 when Georgia Optics sold me a mismarked ACOG that I'm convinced was an intentional deception in order to unload a used optic that wasn't selling.

Other than that...

-$8-$12 typically at the door.
    -Shit inventories.
    -Insulting prices …and add the door money to your purchase.
    -Arrogant dishonest vendors with god complexes and very little real knowledge of products or the industry.
    -Counterfit items.
    -Higher end guns intentionally fitted with garbage components.
    -$3-$5 debit card fee.
    -Fucktard trailer trash and ghetto-rats everywhere.

Give me a few minutes and I could probably come up with a few more good reasons to avoid them.

Member #
    Liked
    8212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    Check the show vendor policies. If the show doesn't have a strict rule against food and non-firearms related junk, it typically won't be worth going to. Its like the only shows where there's any hope of finding something interesting are in some of the smaller towns (that the dealers won't mess with) and larger cities (that will bring in some collector-grade tables).
    Yes and no. I see this crap all the time but usually it's a small percentage compared to the actual show. Here it was about a 1/3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    What show did ya hit bud?
    PA National Guard Armory in Southampton on Roosevelt blvd

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    Dude gun shows blow dicks and more dicks... we all know this

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    It was good while it lasted.

HGCA - Houston Gun Collector Association shows - were pretty damn good 2011 and before. The last two I tried in 2015 and 2016 were absolutely pathetic - as in why bother even organizing.

One of my best memories was digging through Northridge's tables there in 2008 with Trueno. He found a Russian 6x3 bayonet mixed in with the Romy's. Later it was digging through another vendor's box of Chinese mags that had North Korean mags mixed in. The one NK mag I still have was from that day. Good times.

When fuel was approaching $4 a gallon Northridge stopped coming - 2009 or so.

The Dallas Collector show I attended in 2016 was pretty good.

Some day I need to make an SAR and Wannenmacher show.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 07-06-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    493 times
    The only reason I go to the shows is to crop dust the intersections. If I didn’t know some of the local guys that have tables I probably wouldn’t even waste the gas.

Member #
    Liked
    1852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
    The only reason I go to the shows is to crop dust the intersections. If I didn’t know some of the local guys that have tables I probably wouldn’t even waste the gas.
    Pun intended?
    RustySnake and 10Gauge like this.
    Blahpony confirmed as Darth Paydirt - 10Gauge

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blahpony View Post
    Years ago, I did the computer shows. They used to be real good. Then the cell phone accessory tables started showing up. So less people would come. Then prices went up to make up for less people. Then less people would show up because it was getting expensive. Then the vendors would skip the shows as there weren't enough people there to make money. The tables that they left empty were taken up by cell phone accessory vendors. Less people would show up because there were more cell phone accessories being sold than computers. Then the prices would go up to offset the lower amount of people.

I can see the gun shows doing the same thing. Ironically, one of the places I did the computer shows now does the big local gun show.
    Hit the nail on the head there.

Quote Originally Posted by blahpony View Post
    Pun intended?
    LOL i was wondering what he meant, so you go just to fart next to them????

Member #
    Liked
    1067 times
    The final shows that I used to attend with my daughter were advertised as "Gun And Knife Show". As my daughter liked to say, some guns, some knives and a lot of "And". I don't mind accessories, but non-firearm books, Beanie Babies and other stuffed animals, jewelry and the like are ok on one or two tables out of 500, but not when the And is a large percentage of the show.
    RustySnake likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors