The statement that the NRA is the best 2A organization because of history, size, etc. (compared to GOA for example) mirrors the argument that Trump was the best 2016 choice given the alternative (Hillary Clinton).
But that's the reality of the world we live in. Yes, Trump was the best choice, but he's shown he's not a great friend of gun owners. Yes, the NRA is important because it is the biggest, most influential entity for gun owners, even though it's also showing it's not a great friend recently.
Maybe I'm just stating the obvious. And as has already been mentioned, the NRA has probably an 80% membership that doesn't care about semi's, bumpstocks, suppressors, etc. So if the other 20% leave, does that send enough of a message? Or does it just make them less influential? And is that better or worse? No easy answer. Except that LaPierre should be gone.