Buying rifle online vs in store - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Buying rifle online vs in store

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Pretty much same here. Whatever you saved initially you lost on shipping and transfer.
    And if you buy online alot of places have at least a 15% restocking fee. Plus you pay return shipping.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1892 times
    I went through a “contractor rich” phase right after I entered the industry and went on a ridiculous buying binge. I won some, I lost some. One or 2 of the bad decisions are still collecting dust. Unless you’re strictly dealing with larger, reputable sellers you’re going to make mistakes. Just learn from them.

Do discovery. Ask around. Always look at feedback and reviews before you purchase. Take particular caution when using Gunbroker and similar sites. That’s pretty much where all my folly came from.

(EDIT)BTW- I’ve also had gun stores/FFL’s rip me off too on online gun purchases. A couple times they took components off rifles I bought and then said they were never in the box.

Always bear in mind the gun industry is rife with scumbags who know no shame.
    Last edited by YankeeZulu; 05-14-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirstygator View Post
    any CheapDirt horror stories I should know about?
    Yes! Stay away from cheaper that dirt! They did us gun owners really bad during the ban scare years ago! So bad that there were anti cheaper than dirt Facebook pages open up against them! Many threads and pics on the internet about how they were tryin’ to screw us! Their “public apology“ after the ban scare was a way to recover their business.

The thing about ban scares is it tells you exactly what companies are supportive of their customers. There are many, many other companies out there better than cheaper than dirt and realistically, after their high shipping prices, its not cheaper than anywhere else.
    Mullo98, Thrasher and Moses1986 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    Yes! Stay away from cheaper that dirt! They did us gun owners really bad during the ban scare years ago! So bad that there were anti cheaper than dirt Facebook pages open up against them! Many threads and pics on the internet about how they were tryin’ to screw us! Their “public apology“ after the ban scare was a way to recover their business.
    On that note, it's amazing that it's been more than 10 years now since that whole ruckus. And then a year later, K-Var was blowing out Russian AKs for ~$450...
    otus likes this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

©Daedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4888 times
    CTD can burn in hell.
    Mullo98, Thrasher, 22many and 3 others like this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    A dark, ruined castle in Transylvania. Otherwise known as Mississippi
    Liked
    1002 times
    A few things I could see about buying from a physical store is you might be able to haggle a little, if they have a range, you can test shoot it before buying and you might be able to get first dibs or better deals if you become a regular customer. But that’s really on the store.
    Interested in Middle Eastern, South Asian and Yugoslavian AKs and gear. “ Only a woman can break his spell...”

Member #
    Liked
    10006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    CTD can burn in hell.
    Don't give them any ideas. "Real, authentic hellfire! Just like they use in the sandbox! So lethal, the navy seal delta force rangers asked us not to talk about it!"
    scottyb, Thrasher and Moses1986 like this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

©Daedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2159 times
    I think with Atlantic, since they "QC'd" it, if you do need to return it you just mail it to them.
    I've never had to return anything from them though, so don't quote me on it.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    What did cheaper than dirt do?

I have never bought anything from them aside from a handguard maybe like 4 years ago.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    On that note, it's amazing that it's been more than 10 years now since that whole ruckus. And then a year later, K-Var was blowing out Russian AKs for ~$450...
    Yeah they screwed us in 2008 also. I was referring to 2013. Im sure the next one they will try again.

I remember $325 saigas at the gun show. Now i wish i would have bought 10 of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What did cheaper than dirt do?

I have never bought anything from them aside from a handguard maybe like 4 years ago.
    Tried to rape us with their high prices. Pmags for $200. 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $1000 among other highway robbery prices. The really bad part is if someone already had a order into them they would cancel the order and you would have to buy at the inflated price. It got so bad that they were issuing call tags for things that werent delivered to customers yet and sent back and resold at higher prices. Also, the price was always changing constantly as if it was a bidding war of which company had the highest prices. It was the worst customer service/business policys i have ever seen! I will NEVER give ctd a penny of my money!

On a side note, props to rguns, aim surplus, desert fox, and apex for not canceling orders or upping prices! Customer for life i am to them!

Here is just a preview of CTD:

Last edited by 22many; 05-14-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Mullo98, Walleye, JoeMomma and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    I live pretty darn far away from them, but I have used Atlantic and been very pleased with products, service, and shipping!
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I pretty much buy everything online unless its one of those spur of the moment type things. The gun store can never come close to the online price( unless its some place like academy or something, theyre pretty good on pricing), and that would theoretically be fine with me, if the gun store people werent literally the most obnoxious people on the planet (universally it would seem, to pretty much every gun store i've been too).
    I'd be down to support local business and stuff if it wasnt for them:
    A: never having anything I actually want, even when it comes to ammo
    b: being a bunch of boomers who give me shit every time I'm in there, despite me knowing more than them
    C: Having to listen to other cringy people at the gun store, talk about dumb shit, usually like some fortnite tier shit or like history channel "pop history" factoids
    D : the pricing as previously mentioned

I will say I am bro's with the old gun store man, just because He's chill with me shipping stuff, and by the fact that I'm willing to pay their ridiculous 50$ transfer fee, just cuz we're bros.
    anyway, moral of the story is buy online, especially if its new, WASR's can be found for like 700$. there's also this website called gundeals, and often times you can wait to find the cheapest stuff, cuz people post the deals.

that or getcha somebody to build ya one, thats always fun
    In a post-apocalyptic SHTF situation, I plan on forming a gang of post-apocalyptic barbarian raiders, and taking all of your NON-GMO seeds and women

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

WASR Rifles

The WASR rifles can be really decent - or really (really) bad. It depends on which subcontractor built that particular batch and whether it was 4:30PM on a Friday when that particular rifle was assembled....

I have seen a ton (and I mean a bunch) of WASR-10's wander through the shop. Many have canted sites, headspace problems, bolt carriers that bind in the receiver and ten other problems I can think of.

But I have seen/bought several of them that were great. I would buy a WASR over the internet, but I can pull it completely apart and put it back together if required. If you can do that, find the cheapest price and go for it.

But if you are not in a position to pull the rifle apart and fix it, I would not buy one I haven't put my hands on.

If you can pick it up and look at it, you can eliminate two-thirds of the problems that seem to be common on those rifles (i.e. are the sights straight, is the gas block straight, does the operating rod move easily, does the gas piston bind in the gas block, is the headspace correct, does the trigger bind, is the hammer banging on the back of the bolt carrier, etc.). But it's "pot-luck" on something coming over the internet. So make certain the vendor has a return policy or you may get stuck with something that has issues.

Best case put your hands on one and take a head space gauge - it will likely save you a lot of headaches in the future.

If you do get a "twisted" WASR, you will need to pull it apart to fix it or send it to somebody that has the tools required to do that.

Understand those problems are not limited to the WASR rifles. I had a "Big Brand-Name" AK show up a few months ago that had the barrel pushed in so far the bolt would not close in the chamber (period). That was a brand-new rifle. I gave it back to the customer who returned it to the manufacture. Nice thing - they acknowledged the problem and replaced it.

I doubt you will get the same service from Century on a WASR.

Good luck!

M.T.V.

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    Yeah they screwed us in 2008 also. I was referring to 2013. Im sure the next one they will try again.

I remember $325 saigas at the gun show. Now i wish i would have bought 10 of them!

Tried to rape us with their high prices. Pmags for $200. 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $1000 among other highway robbery prices. The really bad part is if someone already had a order into them they would cancel the order and you would have to buy at the inflated price. It got so bad that they were issuing call tags for things that werent delivered to customers yet and sent back and resold at higher prices. Also, the price was always changing constantly as if it was a bidding war of which company had the highest prices. It was the worst customer service/business policys i have ever seen! I will NEVER give ctd a penny of my money!

On a side note, props to rguns, aim surplus, desert fox, and apex for not canceling orders or upping prices! Customer for life i am to them!

Here is just a preview of CTD:

Lol that is terrible, what a bunch of cocksuckers

Member #
    Liked
    51414 times
    ....so did you get your WASR OP?
    pics / vid required for validation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors