Buying first AK kit. Opinions needed!! can imagine that the Russian kits ae
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Buying first AK kit. Opinions needed!! can imagine that the Russian kits ae

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Buying first AK kit. Opinions needed!! can imagine that the Russian kits ae

Hey Guy's, I'm very interested in buying my first kit to build. Iv'e decided to go with a Childres receiver, now the decision is what kit to get and from whom ?. R-guns has Russian kits that are going for $750, Arms of America has some real nice Polish kits for $409. The truth is I like them all but unfortunately I can only pick one for now. I can imagin that due to the political atmosphere with Russia that the Russian kits are rare. Opinions are apreciated...

Member #
    Liked
    4907 times
    For your first kit get something that if you make a mistake it will not be super expensive. A WBP Polish or a nice Romy on a Nodak spud.

Do you have any build tools? Have you read up on the process or watched any of several videos on the subject?

If you want a nice Russian kit you could match it with a Polish barrel, Childers receiver and send it to a pro builder.

There are of course other options but as we type these are growing fewer every day.

Good luck!
    Last edited by scottyb; 05-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Mullo98 likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Thanks scottyb, no I'm not going to do the building myself, I have CW Gunwerks here locally, they do nice work. The cost of the Russian AKM kit plus the polish barrel, plus childers receiver and cost of the build puts the build slightly over a $1200. I guess I'm trying to decide if it's a good investment..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4907 times
    Sounded like you meant to build it yourself.

You can shop around and keep an eye on the for sale threads. You can score some good deals from folks.

Its also nice to have a rifle built for you the way you want it.

I definitely recommend getting a Russian rifle.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    2740 times
    What’s experience do you have with AKs already?

Member #
    Liked
    235 times
    If you build it yourself, set aside some money, beer, and free time. I just finished my first one and oh boy, what an adventure.

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    Professional built Soviet AKM is what I would do.
    WTB
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59437
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59170
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N L-90108
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N F-80598
    FN-49
    SVT-40

Member #
    Liked
    241 times
    People might hate me for this... I would go Polish. Honestly, the Russian one will be of no better quality, but you'll sure pay more for it because it's "Russian".

Maybe you don't have a Russian AK though. If that were the case maybe Russian is the way to go, or just scrap the build idea and buy a Vepr.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    The problem Ive always had with a lot of surplus guns is thoes damm billboards, excesive import marks and their placement on these guns. That's why I don't like the Vepr. One thing I like about the Childers receiver is their stamp in descreatly placed under the trigger guard so you really have to look for it to see it. Since I have always been more of an invester/collector I don't think I will be attempting to collect many AK's I just want to have what investment wisely.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Iv'e been around collecting/investing for many years, the list of the guns Iv'e owned is long, unfortunately in order to keep acquiring more guns I had to sell many. For a time it turned into a small business, so as far as experiance I would say I'm not an expert of anything I just know enough to be dangerous LOL

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I own two AK's right now and looking to add more to the collection!fullsizeoutput_13db.jpeg This is one of them.. 1982 Romanian built on a Childres receiver by CW Gunwerks..
    Last edited by KillRoy; 05-09-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5315 times
    As it all stands as of right now ... it’s unlikely anymore Russians will be imported.
    Thats how R Guns is getting away with raising the price every few months.

So id be inclined to get one ... either from them or a privet party.

Since value is your thing.
    Barrel.
    Polish or Romanian

Recever.
    The consciences here will be ReCreator unmarked shell and get marking stencils from Weaponmark for the most correct build.

Shop
    need to pick a shop that’s familiar with doing accurate Russian builds or you’ll loose value.

The thing is Russin AK buyers / collectors are anal
    If one or two things aren’t right it’s barely going to be worth the value of the parts.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Good points, I agree that most collectors are anal, it's just that some are more than others. So how would you reproduce the tiny proof marks found on most Russian Ak receivers and on their wood stocks. Those tiny marks for the most part disappear if you attempt to refinish the stocks. A lot to consider...

Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    WeaponMark has etching stencils that will recreate the exact selector markings for whichever ak kit you buy. You will need to have someone do the notches. That is why having a builder that can do this, as close as possible, to the original arsenal notches, is very important. The markings on the the parts should be left as is and the gun only finished to match the original parts. The wood should not be refinished. Everything should be as close as possible to original. Using a CommBlok chrome lined hammer forged barrel, or a Russian barrel if you have plenty of cash to spend on it, would be the most exact and bring a premium. If you find one it will be $1000+. That's why most use a Polish or Romanian barrel built to "Russian" specs on Russian machines. Not original but close.

I agree with most that a Russian kit with a top quality builder is the way to go for an investment
    akraider and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Other than R-Guns who else have Russian kits for sale, Iv'e been looking and can't find any other!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors