Buying first AK kit. Opinions needed!! can imagine that the Russian kits ae - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Buying first AK kit. Opinions needed!! can imagine that the Russian kits ae

Member #
    Liked
    2066 times
    Word of advice... spend the extra $100.00 on the matching hand select kit. For the extra $100 you get ALOT more kit for your dollar. The kits are usually less refurbished, they have all matching numbers on the wood, parts and they are desirable. The kits that are $750.00 are very plentiful, you don't know what you will get.

Dont get the markings on the receiver, buy the etch kit from Frank aka Weaponmark and send with the kit.

CW Gunworks has sprayed Russian paint before on Jmac's post sample PPSH, don't pay someone to build that gun and not get them to use the right paint. Ask them not to refinish the small removable parts, paint the barreled action. If the trunnion has the proof stamps still visible, ask them to retain the factory paint on the front trunnion. It depends on what the paint on the kit looks like.

The Russian kits that are here are the only ones that were and will ever be imported. You asked who else has them, no one. Apex has kits with no trunnions, it is speculated that they came over around the same time these kits came in the country. Years ago. Russian kits aren't allowed to be imported, these came in as a fluke from what I remember. These came in as Bulgarian AKM spare parts I believe and they were matched back up later on. The Trunnions where atleast separated from the matching carrier/bolt, top etc etc.

1968 Izzy Hand select - $850 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811271217
    1969 Izzy Hand select - $850 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811783316
    Last edited by techno; 05-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Member #
    Liked
    5213 times
    If I was going to get another I’d look for a Tula ... Iv come to like the wood better and they seem to be more in demand.
    None are listed at R Guns right now but I’d not be surprised if the have more they’ve yet to unpack and sort.
    Iv seen them sell out of them and then 30 days later they have them again.
    Id start by calling them ( Mary) and ask if they have any upcoming .... it’s worth a try.

If no id look for one from a privet party
    GunBroker .... Forum market places
    Iv seen quite a few pop up that are RGun kits being flipped.

However you get one the first thing to do is assess the parts.
    RGuns sorts them from a mass pile I believe ... meaning Tula and Izhmash parts are mixed.
    Lots of people here Iv seen have had to trade and buy the right parts to get their kits right.
    Theres picture threads here on matching up the parts from the two factory’s.

There are later / modern style Russians here I think. https://rusweapons.com/?post_type=product
    I haven’t looked close ... zero interest

The biggies though for top value are IMO

All one factory parts
    Right looking receiver shell and spot welds
    Commie barrel
    Markings and paint on new parts
    Recognized Builder.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    900 times
    astig had a pretty decent deal on a matching kit, pulled rommy barrel and receiver posted up a few days ago over on akfiles, I've bought from him before he's a good seller, if it's still available ask for some more pics and see if it's something you'd like.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10918 times
    Building an all matching Russian kit would be worth it, but its going to cost you. As has been said, consider Polish. If you get an all matching kit, you can get a new Polish barrel (better than originals I'm told), and a Childers receiver is made from a Polish stamped flat. Any more original and its the real thing.
    TPinFl, scottyb and akraider like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Rguns has 1968 Tula matching numbers kits on GB right now for $775+$15 shipping.....

I just saw 2 of them listed 30 minutes ago. hope this helps..

Greg
    JoeMomma and akraider like this.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

TOMORROW:
    One of the greatest labor saving devices of today.

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KillRoy View Post
    Good points, I agree that most collectors are anal, it's just that some are more than others. So how would you reproduce the tiny proof marks found on most Russian Ak receivers and on their wood stocks. Those tiny marks for the most part disappear if you attempt to refinish the stocks. A lot to consider...
    Ooh, don't refinish the wood! Never looks correct.

Robert
    akraider likes this.
    WTB/WTT

Member #
    Liked
    919 times
    honestly, it all depends on what you want, and how much money you want to spend. It sounds like you're not really trying to blow your wallet up, but still wanting something nice. The Russian kit will cost you nearly twice as much, as the Polish. That being said, the Russian kit will be worth nearly twice as much when the rifle is complete. Are the Russian AK's any better than the Polish? In my opinion, no. As a matter of fact, it has been my experience that the quality of the Polish AK's (especially the milled ones) is unmatched. Russian AK's are cool because they are the original, and they are just iconic. That was my choice when I did my first build, because I wanted to do the original. I'm more of a 5.45 guy, but I wanted to do something straight forward and original, so I chose a hand-select 1969 Izzy in 7.62. You will not be disappointed with either, but you should ask yourself 1 question... would you rather save a significant amount of money and have a really nice AK when it's over... or... would you rather spend the money, and when it's over, have a really nice AK that's worth a little more. My vote is for the Russian. don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Polish AK's. I would just choose a Russian for the reasons I stated earlier. Here's the problem with that. the guy that owns Rguns is a straight up dickhead. me personally, I would not give him any more of my business, but that's up to you to decide. now that that's out of the way... let's talk barrels. like a few others have said, the closest thing to an original Russian barrel, is the cold-hammer forged, chrome-lined Polish barrel. that's what I use for my Russian builds, and they are very nice, high-quality barrels. I strongly recommend this option. also like someone else here has already said... if the finish on the parts in your kit is decent, keep them original. if you have a decent builder, they can match the paint on the barrel and receiver to the original paint on the small parts. And for the love of God, don't refinish the wood. if you're going to do that, you might as well sell it and buy different furniture, rather than ruin original stuff. sorry to write a book here, but I hope it helps some. best of luck to you!
    COCONUTS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    You'll probably, eventually resell it so look at the potential resale value...Russians are at or very near the top of the list...I'm biased towards 74's so an '88 or an '87 Russian 74 from Rguns...then a Tula akm from Rguns...then an Izzy Akm from Rguns...BR7.62 or Two River Arms as builder (s)...you can't go wrong and good luck with making your choice...
    Akforum member #234...

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    R-Guns has several Russian 47/74's rifles builds listed on GunBroker. They look nice but I noticed that the safety/selector marking are not correct, don't know why the builder didn't mark the selector marks correctly. That little oversight for me is a deal breaker.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10918 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KillRoy View Post
    R-Guns has several Russian 47/74's rifles builds listed on GunBroker. They look nice but I noticed that the safety/selector marking are not correct, don't know why the builder didn't mark the selector marks correctly. That little oversight for me is a deal breaker.
    Which is why many people, myself included, prefer to buy the kit and receiver, and spend the extra money for a known builder to do a total clone build. Is it more expensive? Yep, and its also worth it. All matching Romanian G with original barrel:
    Right With Gear.jpg
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors