how do you carry one in the chamber on a tt33 / ttc ???
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By myst173
  • 2 Post By KMFDM
  • 1 Post By myst173

Thread: how do you carry one in the chamber on a tt33 / ttc ???

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times

how do you carry one in the chamber on a tt33 / ttc ???

not that i would carry a romanian TTC as it's just too big, collectible, etc...

but im trying to figure out how the soviets carried these into combat?

I thought I read somewhere that they would carry them with one in the chamber, with the hammer at half cock/half cock safety.

that way when a german soldier popped up all they had to do was use their thumb to bring the hammer to full cock, and then start pulling the trigger.

but in order to accomplish this they would have to rack a round into the chamber, then safely, SAFELY, bring the hammer down all the way, then go back up to half cock.

I tried this with an empty chamber and even if you try to pull the trigger to bring the hammer down slowly....once you get the hammer down, it 1) does'nt seem fully all the way down and 2) won't lock into place in the half cock position if you try.....

and in case you didn't know, on the ttc.....if you are at half cock you cannot rack the slide to bring the weapon into "full cock" ...you have to use your thumb or whatever to bring the hammer itself up to full cock.....
    WTB: russian dshk kit or built semi DSHK
    WTB rare cool kits: russian, north korean, what have you, pretty much anything greasy old commie, ak, pkm, dshk, maxim, whatever

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    a really cool way to carry it IMO would be the one in the chamber, half cock / safe, i just can't for the life of me figure out if or how that was possible...
    WTB rare cool kits: russian, north korean, what have you, pretty much anything greasy old commie, ak, pkm, dshk, maxim, whatever

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    947 times
    That's common in older automatics.
    Easiest way to accomplish is rack the slide, have the gun in your right hand in front of you pointed diagonally toward the ground to your left, put your left hand up over the top of the slide being sure it's above the gun and the barrel isn't pointed toward your wrist, arm, etc. Put your thumb up against the front of the hammer, flip the safety off, slowly pull the trigger and then let the hammer down slowly with your thumb. Practice it with an empty chamber, it's not hard to do. Most of the older guns and ammo take a full hammer swing to set off the primer so even if the hammer slips off your finger as you get it closer to being dropped they typically wont go off.

The above isn't hard to do and is safe if you do it properly even in a discharge (bullet goes into the ground and not into you), but it's still the whole reason decockers were developed.

That never would fly in a modern commercial gun just from the lawyers, but these were military weapons from decades ago when a safety on a sub gun could be as simple as a pin sticking out of the dust cover that went about a 1/4 inch into a hole in the open bolt that was just waiting to slam forward.
    mike_r123 and otus like this.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by myst173 View Post
    That's common in older automatics.
    Easiest way to accomplish is rack the slide, have the gun in your right hand in front of you pointed diagonally toward the ground to your left, put your left hand up over the top of the slide being sure it's above the gun and the barrel isn't pointed toward your wrist, arm, etc. Put your thumb up against the front of the hammer, flip the safety off, slowly pull the trigger and then let the hammer down slowly with your thumb. Practice it with an empty chamber, it's not hard to do. Most of the older guns and ammo take a full hammer swing to set off the primer so even if the hammer slips off your finger as you get it closer to being dropped they typically wont go off.

The above isn't hard to do and is safe if you do it properly even in a discharge (bullet goes into the ground and not into you), but it's still the whole reason decockers were developed.

That never would fly in a modern commercial gun just from the lawyers, but these were military weapons from decades ago when a safety on a sub gun could be as simple as a pin sticking out of the dust cover that went about a 1/4 inch into a hole in the open bolt that was just waiting to slam forward.
    awesome, thanks!

did the russians carry their tt33 with a round in the chamber /following this whole slowly bring the hammer down procedure? or did they carry with an empty chamber, then whip it out and rack the slide?

Member #
    Liked
    916 times
    Learn something new everyday...

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    I have carried a TT33 before and I can tell you I don't trust the halfcock.

A freind of mine used to carry a TT33 with a round chambered. It fell on a concrete floor and discharged through his leg and it was not pretty afterwards for a couple of years for him.
    TRAAK's and otus like this.
    "odio vitae semper dissolubilis"

"Ludo mentis sciem"

"Senecta aetas viresque, atque perfidium expugnat"

"sic semper purgamentus Yugo kalashnikov! Tempus orbem ad excoquam eorum et dimittetur eis!"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    947 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_r123 View Post
    awesome, thanks!
    did the russians carry their tt33 with a round in the chamber /following this whole slowly bring the hammer down procedure? or did they carry with an empty chamber, then whip it out and rack the slide?
    No idea if it was common practice or not, but like the threads above, it doesn't mean it's actually safe. Most armies have different weapons procedures when they're in the field expecting combat and when they're just moving from place to place. So there's a very real chance that they carried empty moving up to the front and then went hot once they were there, then would go back to a safer state when they were away from active combat and not on patrol or similar.

Most newer designs put some type of physical block between the hammer and the firing pin to keep a drop or the like from being able to make the gun go off. Just how designs have changed over the years, basicly same reason older revolvers were carried on an empty chamber when you wanted to be 100% safe.
    otus likes this.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors