Are Childers receivers finished?

Member #
    Liked
    985 times

Are Childers receivers finished?

I purchased a couple of Childers receivers over a year ago. I didn't select an option to have them finished, but both are a nice solid consistent semigloss black. Are they finished or is the color just a result of their manufacturing process?
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    4436 times
    I'd be interested to know exactly as well.
    I assume it's a result of their heat treating process, if I remember right used salt bath.
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    985 times
    I'm having to send my receivers off to be finished after my dehumidifier stopped dehumidifying though it was running and indicating that the humidity was at 30%. Almost all of my DC Industries / Nodak Spud receivers promptly got rust spots, especially around the center support, but my Childers and 74ULLC receivers are virtually rust free. I know my 74ULLC receivers are unfinished and were quenched in a oil bath. I don't know about the Childers though. They don't have rust and look ready to build, but I don't want to assume that it's actually a finish. Their website says nothing about finishing that I could find. Their engraving shows as bare metal, so I'm guessing the receivers are unfinished, but again they are black semigloss in color and look perfect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4436 times
    Dave heat treats in a furnace then blasts and then puts oil on his receivers.
    I think heat treat in salt produced a finish basically the same as hot salt bluing. So it's basically a layer of oxidation.
    I think... Lol
    I know how hot salt bluing works but I've never studied up on salt heat treating just seem pictures. And assuming they would produce the same results depending on surface finish before the process
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    I think heat treat in salt produced a finish basically the same as hot salt bluing. So it's basically a layer of oxidation.
    I think... Lol
    I know how hot salt bluing works but I've never studied up on salt heat treating just seem pictures. And assuming they would produce the same results depending on surface finish before the process
    That is my understanding too, Brendyn, regarding the heat treatment in salt producing a black oxide finish. Chemically, it makes complete sense that it would work that way.
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    I have purchased multiple receivers from Childers over different points in time. Some appeared to be right out of the salt bath, others with a clean black oxide or bluing finish, and some that were blasted bare metal.

Member #
    Liked
    319 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    I think... Lol
    I agree, the top layer of the metal get oxidized in the heat treatment and that is a "finish". Hot blue is a controlled oxidization of the metal also in a different more beautiful and expensive way

Member #
    Liked
    985 times
    This is very interesting. I sent them off to be refinished anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mine appear to be just a result from the heat treat process. These need oil .

file-23 (2).jpeg

Member #
    Liked
    985 times
    SGT ROCK, did you recently receive those? Mine were a nice solid black.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    SGT ROCK, did you recently receive those? Mine were a nice solid black.

No, i've had them for more than a year.

Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    A bit off topic here but my last Recreator complete receiver was a nice even bluish/black finish all over...scuffed it up where I etched the selector marks just to make sure I'd have a good connection...the finish reminded me of bluing...all the others I've seen/received were like a shiney blasted metal finish...
    Akforum member #234...

Sponsors