AK Rifles banner

What was your experience upon leaving forums for a time?

1K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Leviathan 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been considering cutting my visits to nothing. Just keeping up with some items that interest me online. Basically going outside to play more. How long did it take to feel the welcomed break?

#3 ·
:grin:

#5 ·
I’ve come and gone before. But it’s like I’m missing something that needs to be found. Maybe a midlife crisis? Not honestly sure but just need time off I guess.

#7 ·
Left for about 2-3 months couple of times. Not voluntarily, but I just had projects that took me from dawn till dusk and was just too tired to log on. Felt like I had shook off an addiction and was able to focus on other things. After a while, like the man said, "just when I think I'm out---they drag me back in!"

#10 ·
I left the forums and the gun hobby in general for a few years. Got back into collecting a few years ago. The forums change a lot. I used to be very active on the 1919a4 forum. I even met a bunch of guys and built one in NOVA (Northern Virginia). I was quite a spectacle, cops showed up and everything. Anyway, that forum is basically dead now. I think it is good to take a break every few years. This hobby can kind of take over your life, which isn't always a good thing. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Robo

#19 ·
why did they show up? did you start popping off rounds too close to city limits or they were nsa tracking your build party or what?

#13 ·
It comes naturally. Summertime means getting outdoors. Camping, fishing, hiking, stuff that makes us whole and healthy. Fresh air, exercise, sun tan, sun burn, vitamin A and D, ticks, chiggers, squitos, bugs, itching, whining, beer, barbeque, etc.
It's real easy to forget the forums and check in whenever you get bored or can't sleep at night.
You can also do it when you're drunk and all of your friends left you since you ran out of alcohol.
Then again, just to have some fun and come in and stir up shit while everyone else is on vacation so they come back and wonder what the hell happened while they were gone from the forums.
How long does what take? A steak to cook to medium rare on the grill? Chicken legs or wings in the oven? To get a sunburn on a cloudy day?
How in the hell should I know how long something takes? I just Google whatever I need to know or ask the forum.
LOL!
You'll be fine. It's not like quitting smoking or drinking. You can handle it. Have faith.

#16 ·
I look at it as part of something I do and not something that needs time allocated to it. Sometimes I'm on more, sometimes less. Just depends on the day. I'm at work very early so I have time to read the news and scan the forums. In the evening when unwinding I pop in and out but it's not something I set aside time for

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I gotta admit, the luster has worn off about AK's and internet forums in general for me. The heyday of kits a plenty and surplus abound made it more interesting. While there is always something to learn new about AK's and their history, that pace has slowed to a trickle.

Basically it is a one or two times a week at most now I show up here. Even have skipped a few weeks at times. While there is some great members here, coming around to just be interactive about general stuff, current events or politics, is just not my thing. Some people are social butterfly's first and then gun enthusiast second and that is not my scene.

Unless a boat load of unseen kits show up and/or the market turns upwards concerning AK's, my current apathy will probably continue.

#18 ·
I think sabbaticals away from electronic devices for any extended period of time are healthy for the mind....especially with spring/summer coming. One day years ago I got so fed up with cable tv for instance, I just turned it off and walked away, I'm much healthier for it too. That was like 4 or 5 years ago....

#21 ·
I look at a couple other forums just for info purposes but this is the only one I really interact with other members. I’m limited to when I can pop in but I seldom take more than a day or two away.

#22 ·
Last time I was on was in 2016, then tonight I was like hey old friend where have you been. But seriously this is the best forum around. Due to my job /jobs that I have finally left, I can be a normal person and hang out on the ask forum again.

#24 ·
This is the only forum I actually post on. I’ve been lurking the f out of ar15.com for various reasons since 2015. Still never said a word there though. I take breaks from time to time. What comes to mind as one time I had to take a break was the last big herd of derptards espousing how great the c39/ras47was over everything else.

View attachment 239090

#25 · (Edited)
Over time one's enthusiasm may tend to wax and wan with just about anything. Contributing factors can be stresses in one's personal life and/or career, viewing too much negative news (political in particular), your outlook for the future based on age or health, financial situation, etc. Have a friend whom has been a collector of Imperial German arms & accoutrements for decades. One day he came home from a small collector show, and his wife went off like a emotional grenade. He dropped out completely for several years until things were smoothed over, and still has both his wife and collection (one of the lucky ones). He never saw it coming. If one needs time off to regroup, nothing wrong with taking a breather. However, if during this hiatus, you decide to start offing a number of your hard-won collectibles, think long and hard about this. The couple of times I found myself there, I let some stuff go and have regretted it ever since...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.