anybody an expert on Sig 556/55x conversions?

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times

anybody an expert on Sig 556/55x conversions?

I need a little advice on a Sig 556 at my local gun shop. I looks like it has been converted using surplus parts. I dont know for sure, but it does have a stamped lower receiver. I know some of the conversions can be very expensive. I will stop by and take some pictures tomorrow. Any advice on what to look for?
    One thing is for sure, its ugly. The guy painted it camouflage with model paint. The trigger is by far the worst I have ever felt. Its super spongy and its totally unpredictable when it will break. The rifle is on consignment by a guy selling his collection due to a divorce. I can pick this thing up for a good deal.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2004 times
    They haven't ever had surplus kits for these. It is possible to convert using an original Swiss steel or Aluminum lower though.

Unless dirt cheap, I would pass. The problem with the 556 is that it becomes a money pit as you feel the need to replace the cheap American parts with original Swiss parts.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    Thanks Stottman, I think it looks like a 551A1 rather than a 556 like I originally thought. Either way they dont get glowing reviews. Thanks for your input

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    i am pretty sure there were 552 and 553 "surplus" cut up parts kits.

i owned a couple back in the day when I thought a kit build was the only way i was going to be able to build an sbr clone of a 552 from a 556.

then they came out with the 551a1. that was one of many face palm moments in this wonderful hobby.

yes ive heard the quality isn't quite as good as the original swiss rifles of course, but it is what it is, close enough for a lot of people.

i dont' know if they are making 551a1 factory sbr anymore.

i would check out OSage county guns in Missouri, they are a big time sig dealer.

me personally i would find a good clean 551a1 (not something that has been bubbad up with model paint or some shit) and then make a few tweaks from there to add originality.

check out this for a more authentic diopter, this is a tweak im working on getting for mine now

(SET) MFI SIG 556 Rear Diopter Sight & Rail with SIG SANs 550 / SG 551 Style Hooded Front Sight ( WITH FIBER OPTIC ) (BLACK) / SUPER SALE

there are also swiss steel semi auto lowers (they were born semi auto, not converted) from i think COGUNSALES and some others i think

the parts are out there. i think full "surplus" cut up kits come on gb for sale now and again as well.

and of course there is jdi firearms that imports full swiss 552/553 pistols, which you can take and swap out parts for 922 and form 1 etc...

this guy seems to know what hes talking about on the parts count.

02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
    MBR308

MemberJoin DateAug 2012LocationPennsylvaniaPosts74Thanked110 times

SAN SWISS 553 SBR done right! (922r compliant)
    Here is my SAN SWISS 553 SBR and is 100% 922r compliant. I replaced the lower with a Genuine SanSwiss 553 US lower. Replaced the trigger, cocking handle, and grip with my sig 556 classic as a donor, hammer and sear are factory swiss (you can tell the difference in the trigger as there are no welds on the top of the trigger). And yes a factory 4 position gas valve, the only issue is the gas tube does not clear the flash hider but the valve removes fine, I can always remove the flash hider if needed to clean.

As for the 556 pistol I have a form 1 in for sbr to use the 553 original lower on it and still 922r compliant. Just wish sig sold replacement parts as I had to buy another rifle as a parts donor. Saker556 suppressor should be here in another month. The sight mounted is a aimpoint micro T2.

US Parts

1. Sig Sauer Pistol grip
    2. Sig Sauer Straight cocking handle (might be considered operating rod, replaced hammer as 7th part to be safe)
    3. Sig Sauer Trigger from sig 556 pistol
    4. Mag body
    5. Mag floor plate
    6. Mag follower
    7. Silencer Co Trifecta flash hider
    8. Sig Sauer 556 Hammer

IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    Attached Images

WTB: russian dshk kit or built semi DSHK
    WTB rare cool kits: russian, north korean, what have you, pretty much anything greasy old commie, ak, pkm, dshk, maxim, whatever

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    The 551 is a nice looking gun, if you can pick up a decent clone of one for a good price I'd be all over it. Some of the 551/552/553 guns are supposed to be actual Swiss rifles imported in by Sig as pistols. Once they got over here the buyers will SBR them like the CZ scorpions by adding in compliance parts. Then Sig also sold some factory SBR's for awhile, not sure what they have for purchase now as I've mainly been buying ak's for the last couple years.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2004 times
    There have been 551 and 552 parts kits but I would be hesitant to call them surplus. They were from excellent condition "post samples " that were ex LEO. And being original Swiss, actually priced higher than the US made 556s.

Even a Swiss lower half with original stock runs more than a 556.I sold a few for $2K.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors