Range Report: PTR91 & Poly Legend.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Range Report: PTR91 & Poly Legend.

This past weekend I went woth a friend from work to his cabin up in the Sangre de Christo Mountains. A fairly remote and beautiful location. The weather was mostly sunny, 65 degrees, and with a slight Westerly breeze. We took enough arms and ammo to equip a squad of light infantry, but the only rifles I wanted to fire were my new-to-me PolyTech Legend (purchased about two months ago) and my brand new PTR91.

The PTR had a HK retractable stock that I had just recieved by UPS on Wednesday to replace that horrid Choate folder factory installed. That rifle performed flawlessly. From a sandbag rest, I took 9 shots from 25 yards to see where the sights were and found that the rifle was already dead on from the factory. All nine were in a 1.5" group just outside left of the bullseye. Happy enough with that I finished up that session by smacking steel targets 75-150 yards away and with good effect. With decent glass, good ammo and a bipod this rifle will make a good CS rifle capable of hitting man-size targets out to 600m+.

The Legend, of course, fired without a single hiccup. After putting roughly a dozen rounds rounds downrange to the 25-yard zeroing target I was satisfied that was as accurate as it would ever be in factory trim. The 100 yard steel targets were tagged as easily as with the PTR.

The most fun thing with the AK though was bump-firing it. I was bumping off 6-10 round bursts with ease. This was much easier than trying to do it with any of my AR-15s.

Anyway, it was a very fun filled weekend, and I have discovered two new loves of my life. Definitely hooked on the whole AK-47 thing!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    yeah...the addiction grows quick....i satrted with one and i'm up to 3....well 2 because the wife liked my cur2 somuch , she staked claim to it....enjoy your new addiction...i shot a ptr 2 weeks ago....man waht a nice rifle.....i need one of those too!!!
    "One click down for automatic.Two clicks down for semi.Mikhail Kalashnikov was not a man to mess around." The Punisher

LHD

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wait a minute. I was promised a range report. There are no pics and no women even mentioned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Those PTRs are great. I found myself ignoring my AKs during the PTR honeymoon period. Mine wasn't sighted in from the factory though, pain in the ass the first time doing it.

Word of wisdom on glassing the PTR... you probably don't want to go with something huge like a super sniper, etc. It's tempting because the thing is so damn accurate, and I foolishly succumbed to that temptation, but a nice compact 4x is plenty for most use. Dan's ammo has original HK claw mounts for 125 I think. Also, I highly recommend the IOR stanag rings on the claw if you're not gonna go with a Hensoldt scope.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sangre de Christo Mountains. I dance the dance of burning envy. Something old and mystical about being in glorious places packin'. Thanks for the report.
    Please let us know how the scope turns out on the PTR.

Sponsors