Glock 19--owner experiences?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glock 19--owner experiences?

Member #
    Liked
    83 times

Glock 19--owner experiences?

i am thinking about purchasing a gen 4 glock 19. on the surface they have the glock reputation for reliability but under the surface in pistol forums i'm reading that if you purchase one to make sure it has the later production run updated springs and extractor and that some owners percieve them to be sensitive to limp wristing and underpowered ammo due to their lightweight polymer frames(my polymer framed ruger p95 has always been gtg, so i dont put much stock into this).
    any of you guys own a glock 19? any problems with it? is there any advantage a gen 3 has over a gen 4 other than being $50 less expensive?
    Last edited by steelfed; 06-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    A G19 was the first pistol I bought 14 years ago this month. It was a Gen 1. Since then I've owned 2 Gen 3s and 1 Gen 4. I have shoot thousands of rounds through the 19s and can't think of a single malfunction. I usually shoot the cheap Winchester White Box for training and Federal HST for defensive carry. The only thing I've done to my G19s is swap out the sights. I feel that is a must and I prefer Trijicon HD in orange. I've considered undercutting the trigger guard but haven't done it yet.

Between the Gen 4 and Gen 3. I can tell you that I will only own the Gen 3 for CCW. I tried the Gen 4 and very quickly found that the texturing is too aggressive for Inside the Waistband Carry. It is very uncomfortable when rubbing against your side. I carry a Gen 3 either at work or in a CCW role all day long. I have no issue with it and they have yet to let me down. I usually clean it every few months when I start to notice a build up of deodorant and lint.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Exile; 06-06-2016 at 06:37 AM.
    steelfed and Omega7.62 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1926 times
    Not a 19, but I own 2 G17's and a G26 and after reading all of the drama, which was ongoing at the time, I bought all Gen Three's.
    I have been told that this has all ben resolved and that the Gen Fours no longer have any of those issues. It would seem that there was some legitimate issues at the time and like everything else, no matter how limited the issues were to a small number of specific guns made during a short time, this issues has followed the Gen Four Glocks ever since.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have owned and shot Gen 1, 2, and 3's for 25 years, IMO the Gen 4 was a "fix" for a problem that never existed. Unless the rough texture finish is something that appeals to you, save your money and get a Gen 3. As with Exile's experience I have shot thousands of rounds through my Glocks without a malfunction, truly AK like reliability!
    texasgunsmith and Lunker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7520 times
    I own 2 of the G19s but no new ones.

Can't speak for limp wristing because I don't have that problem. I have them in 9, 40 and 45 and no issues with that particular problem.

The one I own is gen 3 and 2. The gen 2 I bought cause it was a unique and to have a spare for the gen 3. I don't have a gen 4 simply because I already have 2 and have no need for the gen 4

These are very common guns. You can rent one in most gun ranges.

They are great guns overall. There are better looking guns and guns with better features (possibly) but Glock makes great all around tools!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 06-06-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Gen 3's are close to flawless. Gen 4's complicated some parts like recoil spring assembly, while pretty reliable, not as much as gen 3's.
    If you want parts, gen 3 excels in this area also, from factory parts to a near endless amount of custom and aftermarket support.
    I use gen3 glock 21sf's, because 13 rounds of 45acp suit my wants/needs. But the gen3 g17 and g19 are pretty legendary for 9mm, having shot them, they do shoot and feel well. Though i like to put the hogue slip cover grips on glocks, best $10 you can spend, imo.

Member #
    Liked
    16186 times
    keep an eye out for police trade-ins. Carried more than shot and are around 300 or 350
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    7520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Gauge View Post
    keep an eye out for police trade-ins. Carried more than shot and are around 300 or 350
    This ^. Most of mine have been police trades and I couldn't be happier. Glock reliability at discount prices

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    A Glock 19 Gen 1 was my first modern handgun. I've had it for 25 years (bought it in 1991). It's one of the best firearms I've ever owned (still have it). The only thing I don't like about Glocks is the long trigger pull. The stock sights on current production guns are crappy and easily breakable plastic. Replace them with metal ones.
    01 FFL, Gunsmith, and Prop Maker
    NRA Life Member - Benefactor
    GOA Life Member
    NSSF Member
    VCDL Member

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    I bought a Gen. 4 Glock 19 in 2010, and I ended up having to replace the recoil spring assembly and the ejector to get the gun to reliably feed weaker ammunition for range practice. Glock ended up issuing a recall on the recoil spring assemble, even though they never officially called it a recall. I haven't had any issues since installing a 043 recoil spring assembly and a 30274 ejector. I haven't had any discomfort carrying the gun IWB (I wear an oversized tank top underneath my shirt when carrying). The trigger seems a bit stiffer on the Gen. 4 G19 compared to my Gen. 3 G17, but a Ghost disconnector can get it closer to feeling like a Gen. 3.

Gen. 3 and Gen. 4 are both functional and reliable (the latter's bugs have been ironed out). Perhaps try shooting a Gen. 3 and a Gen. 4 to see what you like.
    "This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem."

-Joe Rogan

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    All my Glocks are Gen 4 now. I like the more aggressive grip texture and the medium size beavertail. My hand is in the same place everytime.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've owned Glocks, off and on for the last 15 years. I've carried both Glock 22 Gen 3 and later a Glock 19 Gen 3 for work. I can not speak much on the Gen 4's, other than I don't care for them. The new Gen 4 grip design feels great until I'm on the range and the new texture digs in my hand. So I just stay with the Gen 3's.

My only complaint with the Glocks is the BTF issues which every Glock 9mm has done. I don't every remember the Glock 22 Gen 3 that I owned doing that, but it had the old factory ejector and extractor. What I don't like with the Glocks, is more than made up for with their reliability and durability. They are like the AK's of pistols.

My advice to you is, figure out which generation you won't, either the Gen 3 or Gen 4, and buy your Glock 19 today.

I know you advised that you wanted a Glock 19 Gen 4, but Southern Ohio Gun has Glock 22 Gen 4 in like new condition for $395.00

Glock 22 40Cal 4th Gen - Glock - Handguns - Southern Ohio Gun
    Last edited by Потрошитель; 06-06-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    7520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Потрошитель View Post
    I've owned Glocks, off and on for the last 15 years. I've carried both Glock 22 Gen 3 and later a Glock 19 Gen 3 for work. I can not speak much on the Gen 4's, other than I don't care for them. The new Gen 4 grip design feels great until I'm on the range and the new texture digs in my hand. So I just stay with the Gen 3's.

My only complaint with the Glocks is the BTF issues which every Glock 9mm has done. I don't every remember the Glock 22 Gen 3 that I owned doing that, but it had the old factory ejector and extractor. What I don't like with the Glocks, is more that made up for with their reliability and durability. They are like the AK's of pistols.

My advice to you is, figure out which generation you won't, either the Gen 3 or Gen 4, and buy your Glock 19 today.
    Late gen 3 and early gen 4 are the only ones that did that. The spring and extractor change came right before the switch to gen4

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Late gen 3 and early gen 4 are the only ones that did that. The spring and extractor change came right before the switch to gen4

My Glock 19 Gen 3 that I carried in 2009, before switching to the Sig Sauer P229 9mm also did the same thing. Still a great gun and I wouldn't recommend passing on one for that reason solely. My advice to the OP, is to buy one today.

Member #
    Liked
    7520 times
    The gen 4 came out in 2010. So if your gen 3 was from around 2009 it could have been one of those that had the newer parts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors