DDI AK74 review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DDI AK74 review

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

DDI AK74 review

Picked this up last week from Classic Arms for $699. It's their "Magpul" version (I pulled off the magpul handguards on day one). The magpul grip is very comfy w/ a rubberized texture and the stock shoulders well and gives a good cheek weld.

For those that don't know, DDI , according to the "other" forums is currently making the best kit built guns on the market at the moment. Gunkote finish and a "fenocite" treated US made barrel.

I've always been a AK barrel snob and have insisted to only buy rifles with the original Euro hammer forged barrels. But, the positive reviews made me take the leap and pick this one up as I wanted a "beater" AK74 so I dont shoot my precious Russian and Bulgarian rifles and get them dirty

The rifle came boxed nicely and came w/ a tapco 74 magazine. First thing I noticed is how nice the finish was on the rifle. Super smooth "matte" type texture that really looks bonded to the metal very well. Whoever is doing their gunkote-ing is doing a very nice job.

Quick disassembly revealed that it was built on a matching #'s Bulgarian parts kit. The bolt still had it's original finish on it and it looked to be from an unfired kit. The selector was un-numbers and gas tube, you could make out an old electro stenciled # underneath the new finish. Chrome on the inside of the gas block was perfectly clean. And no cant in the sights at all.

Very impressed. Was hoping it would shoot as good as it looked. (I put on the plum handgaurds in place of the magpul handguards)

Chambered a laser bore sighter and pointing across the living room, the sights looked to be pretty spot on. So I went to the range to sight it in today.

here are the results with untouched sights at 25m (Wolf 60gr)

Pretty sure the "fliers" were my fault. The thing was dead on from the builder. More dialed than my factory rifles were when new by a long shot.

Then was able to hit the 200 yard steel consistently after verifying the zero.

Very pleased with the rifle. It looks like who ever the barrel manufacturer is for them figured out how to properly make 5.45 barrels and one shouldn't be wary of these barrels at least.

The only knocks to the rifle. Minimal and easy fixes.
    There is quite a bit of mag wobble in mine. Not just the normal side to side. But, up and down and fore and aft. The mag release/catch isn't applying enough pressure to the rear magazine lug. In fact, if it wasnt for gravity pulling down on the mag, it wouldnt even be touching the mag catch. BUT, IT DOES HOLD THE MAGAZINE HIGH ENOUGH TO FUNCTION 100%. I'm just nit picky and like to use a magazine hold while shooting, so I could feel the wobble. I will likely swap out the mag catch for one of those new m+m MRL that is designed to have more surface area to lock onto the rear lug of the magazine.

Also, in light of Century Arms being sued for this, I'll bring this up too. The selector, if you were to *somehow* lift it past the "safe" position, it makes contact with the disconnecter and can cause the rifle to fire. This is also a SIMPLE fix w/ a file on the selector to increase the clearance there. Or, swap out the selector for something else like a Krebs style one.

I'm just being very picky here. This rifle is incredibly nice and well worth the $699 and are GTG. It will likely become my most common shooter that I'll likely trick out w/ optics and maybe some other Russian gear
    Last edited by moshaholic2; 04-01-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    tripletdadOH and Lord AK-47 like this.
    Russian slings '93 '09 '11

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Very nice thanks for sharing.
    I wonder if they are from all matching Kits like yours ?
    I'm feeling the urge to call Classic Arms.
    JEREMIAH 9:23-24 PSALM 32:8-9

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Very nice thanks for sharing.
    I wonder if they are from all matching Kits like yours ?
    I'm feeling the urge to call Classic Arms.
    From my understanding, is that Classic contracted them to build these rifles. And that they sent out their "best" kits to be built.

Oh one thing I didnt mention. The trunnion has been scrubbed (but is the original Bulgarian trunnion) What I've been told is this is done to lessen the confusion as to what the proper serial # is (which is stamped on the underside nodak style)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moshaholic2 View Post
    From my understanding, is that Classic contracted them to build these rifles. And that they sent out their "best" kits to be built.

Oh one thing I didnt mention. The trunnion has been scrubbed (but is the original Bulgarian trunnion) What I've been told is this is done to lessen the confusion as to what the proper serial # is (which is stamped on the underside nodak style)
    I wish they wouldn't of scrubbed that trunnion, but all the same it really looks like a nice rifle, I'm still an thinking about getting one, I got three sets of old K-VAR Furniture Black & Plum sitting in a box just waiting for a new home.
    Enjoy.
    Lunker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Is there a hole to insert a cleaning rod into ?

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I wanted a "beater" AK74 so I dont shoot my precious Russian and Bulgarian rifles and get them dirty
    lol...
    MPiKM-72 and Alfred like this.
    слава пиву!

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Is there a hole to insert a cleaning rod into ?
    Yeah, its set up for a cleaning rod. But, one isnt supplied. So Ill need to track one down (i never use the factory cleaning rod but do like to have them)

Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Yeah, its set up for a cleaning rod. But, one isnt supplied. So Ill need to track one down (i never use the factory cleaning rod but do like to have them)
    Me neither it's just for looks.

Again I think you got a nice rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Beautiful rifle, I'm diggin my DDI AK-47. Same experience as you with the finish, super nice. I broke it down when I first got it, talk about a cleanly assembled/ executed AK!!

Member #
    Liked
    845 times
    One question, is an AK 47 cleaning rod the same size as an AK 74 cleaning rod?

Just wondering...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Are you sure about the weapon being built on contract to Classic, or is this their normal production from kits they have sourced from abroad?

I suspect the trunnion is new versus being scrubbed.

Regardless it sounds like an excellent rifle from your review.

KF
    "This is the AK 47 Assault Rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you."

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Krinkfreak View Post

KF
    The trunion is 100% bulgarian. All the other proof stamps are present. Before ordering I contacted DDI to verify they were (and not a US made version). But, yes. It could be new Bulgarian un-numbered.

They mentioned on another board that they are almost done with the build contract.

Im definately please with the rifle. If anyone was on the fence about picking one up, or getting into 5.45, I dont think they'll be dissapointed w/ these.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Krinkfreak View Post
    Are you sure about the weapon being built on contract to Classic, or is this their normal production from kits they have sourced from abroad?

KF
    These rifles were built under contract. Classic supplied the kits and DDI built them. It was a one time run and you're wrong about the trunnions. There is video and forum posts by the owner of DDI which states what I have typed.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillync View Post
    One question, is an AK 47 cleaning rod the same size as an AK 74 cleaning rod?

Just wondering...
    No they are two different animals due to bore size.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Then I stand corrected concerning the trunnion. Thank you for putting me in my place.

I spoke with the production manager the other day at DDI and he mentioned the use of US trunnions. They must be for a separate production run.

Still a nice rifle and should sell well.

KF

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
    These rifles were built under contract. Classic supplied the kits and DDI built them. It was a one time run and you're wrong about the trunnions. There is video and forum posts by the owner of DDI which states what I have typed.
    "This is the AK 47 Assault Rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors