PHILIPPINE ISLANDS LOCAL FLAVOR - its more fun in the philippines!
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: PHILIPPINE ISLANDS LOCAL FLAVOR - its more fun in the philippines!

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times

PHILIPPINE ISLANDS LOCAL FLAVOR - its more fun in the philippines!

12 hours and one minute time difference from my nearest major airport port Columbus ohio cmh. about 2 to 2 and half days flight. it varies so much because I ended going back about half a dozen times over the next year or so finally staying 6 months my second from last trip. best money I ever spent. literally. I needed a vacation badly. long strokes of bad health and luck had worn me down. upon my last journey I brought home my fiancée i met there and married her this last November. enter- OPERATION SPRINGBOARD.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    I was so amazed at my first experience there how much it had completely changed my outlook on humanity and how happy a culture can live that I started taking more and more pics of the silliest things. I documented their every aspect of street life and local culture. I became obsessed with searching out some things like jeep pics, guns, uniforms, fruits id never seen but most importantly what made this culture so happy and just down right fun people to be around. I don't know where to start in the beginning or in the crazy spots or where so ill just post up pics as I find em. I had considered doing a start to finish but theres 7900 pics or something just of jeeps. ww2 and vietnam war era jeeps got left behind in Philippine islands [P.I.] heres what they did with them. take a look.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by COMM BLOC; 06-16-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    first pic shows a traffic cop wearing black ski mask. at first this was hard to understand why a 90% predominant catholic nation would do this at random but its pretty interesting what the answer was. this entire culture is literally scared to death of darkening their skin. they sport umbrellas on sunny days every second their outside even if just for 3 to 4 seconds they deploy them quickly then pop em shut then pop em open again as they squeeze by walking down the street. additionally they wash with kojie san soap. a special skin whitening soap that not only whitens the skin but killed a 6 year long rash on my leg that started one summer spilling 4 wheeler gas on myself. IMG_9529.JPGIMG_9530.JPGIMG_9533.JPGmade from japanese rice wine see pics. also killed my atheletes foot problem that was uncurable with anything here in the states.
    Last edited by COMM BLOC; 06-16-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    KATOM and Mikec23 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    the kojie san soap was unbelievable how quickly it worked. all I had to do was bath in it a week or so and toss out my old shoes. it did what decades of aluminum based us perscriptions and over the counter crap couldn't do. it also kills poison ivy. why this miracle soap isn't in use here baffles me. I asked my wife how long its been in use and she said popular at least since her mom was a teenager maybe longer.
    Delacroix and Wyo Wolverine like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2053 times
    I love PI stuff.

Please keep them coming.
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    where should I start you guys think? should I pick out certain topics and address them individually with pics or beginning to end? im pouring over pics now and its kinda messy. its endless pics on 13 sd cards. trying to locate pics of ninja clad mcdonalds delivery guy on mc ds dirt bike with food lock box on side surrounded by chicks with umbrellas on a sunny day is tough to find with so many pics. I need to figure out how to attack this. all the stuff over there needs to be seen here on the forum I think.

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    My wife is from the Philippines (Cebu Mactan). I wish I had the money to live there!

There are ranges where you can rent automatic weapons. Last time I was there (last May) I fired a Galil ARM at a range at a beach resort (Plantation Bay). If you travel around you see quite a lot of guns of various and interesting sorts.
    COMM BLOC likes this.
    It was pity stayed his hand. `Pity I don't have any more bullets,' thought Frito.
    -- Harvard Lampoon, "Bored of the Rings"

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Yeah completely different perspectives in the PI and it varies quite a bit island to island as well as do the people. My girl lives in Mindanao, South Cotabato. About 50% Moslem. Funny thing is in Mindanao what we call Al Queda influenced terrorist cells they properly refer to as Bandits. Pretty sure it's still under travel advisories, was my last visit anyways. Then there is the New Peoples Army and other "terrorist" organizations that don't even have weapons. It's all been a game Manilla plays with DC to suck out millions in "assistance".
    Consequently folks in Luzon tend to regard folks from Mindanao as "bad people".

Some of the islands they are pretty obsessive about lightening complexion…Luzon is really hung up on it. Reason is something most Americans overlook, the PI has more actual Spanish influence then even Mexico. They were a colony of Spain well before Mexico and remained thus until around 1900 when we seized them. Like Mexico many of the powerful families bred within their own lines and don't look the least Asian. It's not uncommon to run into a gal with looks totally European but whose family has colonial roots and no, they won't ever be found as bar girls in Subic City, ect. Same families still speak Spanish as well.

The cuisine is a hodgepodge of Malay, Spanish, Chinese and American all blended together with liberal consumption of Tuba, Palm Wine
    you get in very rural areas folks still eat things like Aso Adobe, a rich stew like dish made from Dog meat. Damn good eats actually but now technically illegal due to pressure from American do gooders.

It's always surprised me how the people have pushed past what should still illicit hate. After the Spanish American war you had the insurrection as the people attempted to seize their own destiny from America. As a result the US Government went on a full scale campaign of pacification. No one knows for sure how many men, women and children we murdered their, somewhere between hundreds of thousand and better than a million coupled with a vast system of Concentration Camps. It's figured we killed more civilians than the Japanese did during WWII. Funny thing is you talk to people they are like, That was old times, things are different today. No real ingrained bitterness towards America or the Japanese. My gals parents were both Guerrilla fighters against the Japanese yet had Japanese friends they introduced me to.

Another thing is America has been mostly kept in the dark about the Red Chinese laying claim to nearly all of the South China Sea all the way down to Indonesia and Brunai including a number of smaller islands that were Philippine territory
    There have been actual invasions by Chinese Marines to seize a few islands, instead all Washington is concerned about are starving bandits in Mindanao. This is all slowly heating up and is a factor in why both Manilla and the Viets are courting DC to reopen our former Naval stations in their respective nations.

It really is a very neat place to visit, gal wants me to move there. She owns a fair bit of land stretched across three islands but I find the heat and humidity of Mindanao rather unbearable. Great to visit but I literally have to climb half way up the nearest volcano before I can get comfortable which about where she starts complaining it's getting "cold".
    then there are the blackouts, sometimes for more than a day in rural Mindanao. Her fridge and freezer are always in a state of semi defrost. Normal to her, makes me a bit crazy.
    That's not even getting into the Rats, literally the size of small cats…snared over a dozen last trip that were killing her chickens and other birds. Neighbors think I am some sort of wild man, they have forgot the use of snares and the like, just use poison for the most part.

Life in the Cities is much different but still plenty of Rats.

Did I mention I HATE Rats !
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    They also have at least one huge yearly Arms show.

You would not believe the guns they used to hand craft in Cebu back in the 80s, kind of simmered down a lot on the underground gun shops however they still build some killer custom big bore air guns. Been prowling the islands for many years now,

Really don't cost much to live there either, just depends on the standard of living you want to assume and of course how much cash the inlaws will be in your pocket for. That's just part of having family in the PI…LOL

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalliste View Post
    My wife is from the Philippines (Cebu Mactan). I wish I had the money to live there!

There are ranges where you can rent automatic weapons. Last time I was there (last May) I fired a Galil ARM at a range at a beach resort (Plantation Bay). If you travel around you see quite a lot of guns of various and interesting sorts.
    oh my goodness kalliste its cheap to live there. a quarter million dollar home I rented for 6 months and when I asked lady if I could buy it from her it costs about 30 grand when converted to usd but she wouldn't sell it. she owned hundreds of houses. my buddys wife is from Cebu mactan. I was there my first night in phil. 1 lady and her 3 lady friends shaparone date is usual there. I was lucky all girls hahah!

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    COMM BLOC:

This thread kicks ass. Please continue with the pics of local life, it's great.
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai View Post
    Yeah completely different perspectives in the PI and it varies quite a bit island to island as well as do the people. My girl lives in Mindanao, South Cotabato. About 50% Moslem. Funny thing is in Mindanao what we call Al Queda influenced terrorist cells they properly refer to as Bandits. Pretty sure it's still under travel advisories, was my last visit anyways. Then there is the New Peoples Army and other "terrorist" organizations that don't even have weapons. It's all been a game Manilla plays with DC to suck out millions in "assistance".
    Consequently folks in Luzon tend to regard folks from Mindanao as "bad people".

Some of the islands they are pretty obsessive about lightening complexion…Luzon is really hung up on it. Reason is something most Americans overlook, the PI has more actual Spanish influence then even Mexico. They were a colony of Spain well before Mexico and remained thus until around 1900 when we seized them. Like Mexico many of the powerful families bred within their own lines and don't look the least Asian. It's not uncommon to run into a gal with looks totally European but whose family has colonial roots and no, they won't ever be found as bar girls in Subic City, ect. Same families still speak Spanish as well.

The cuisine is a hodgepodge of Malay, Spanish, Chinese and American all blended together with liberal consumption of Tuba, Palm Wine
    you get in very rural areas folks still eat things like Aso Adobe, a rich stew like dish made from Dog meat. Damn good eats actually but now technically illegal due to pressure from American do gooders.

It's always surprised me how the people have pushed past what should still illicit hate. After the Spanish American war you had the insurrection as the people attempted to seize their own destiny from America. As a result the US Government went on a full scale campaign of pacification. No one knows for sure how many men, women and children we murdered their, somewhere between hundreds of thousand and better than a million coupled with a vast system of Concentration Camps. It's figured we killed more civilians than the Japanese did during WWII. Funny thing is you talk to people they are like, That was old times, things are different today. No real ingrained bitterness towards America or the Japanese. My gals parents were both Guerrilla fighters against the Japanese yet had Japanese friends they introduced me to.

Another thing is America has been mostly kept in the dark about the Red Chinese laying claim to nearly all of the South China Sea all the way down to Indonesia and Brunai including a number of smaller islands that were Philippine territory
    There have been actual invasions by Chinese Marines to seize a few islands, instead all Washington is concerned about are starving bandits in Mindanao. This is all slowly heating up and is a factor in why both Manilla and the Viets are courting DC to reopen our former Naval stations in their respective nations.

It really is a very neat place to visit, gal wants me to move there. She owns a fair bit of land stretched across three islands but I find the heat and humidity of Mindanao rather unbearable. Great to visit but I literally have to climb half way up the nearest volcano before I can get comfortable which about where she starts complaining it's getting "cold".
    then there are the blackouts, sometimes for more than a day in rural Mindanao. Her fridge and freezer are always in a state of semi defrost. Normal to her, makes me a bit crazy.
    That's not even getting into the Rats, literally the size of small cats…snared over a dozen last trip that were killing her chickens and other birds. Neighbors think I am some sort of wild man, they have forgot the use of snares and the like, just use poison for the most part.

Life in the Cities is much different but still plenty of Rats.

Did I mention I HATE Rats !
    nickolai I lived in Cebu and Luzon and rats are actually scarce for a reason. the wild dogs eat each other at night 15 inches under you since they hide under stilts your bamboo floor is on for bed. hot ocean air in December 82 and breezy blowing up under your ass all night. the food falls out the side of the bamboo houses in country and chickens and dogs eat it as it hits the ground. I asked why there were no rats and they said the dogs eat em quickly if they don't hide really well. im sure the rats are big but have yet to see one. the cock roaches are enormous!

about the Spanish influence its all over but they don't admit being Spanish when you can see traits of it easily they say nope! reason for this is everywhere you go there a shrine showing dead resistance fighters bound or hanging by their necks the Spanish were very very hard on them kinda like they were to south American natives.

about abodo dog meat you know your kinda out there on that one. maybe its different in Mindanao but I asked around for dog meat and couldn't find anybody who actually ate it or offered it but its not just an urban rumer. heres how the dog meat thing works. the urban gangs think its a manly thing to do to catch and slaughter a dog and eat it with a round of drinks every now and then. its a common initiation when gangsters gather sort of. also there is an entire class of extremely poor people who live in slums for various reasons. these are sometimes refugees who lost homes from typhoons hurricanes on steroids basically. I had the eye of the storm go over me last year and year before that had the roof of the shitter lifted off when I was showering or pooping during hurricane yalonda.

sometimes just people with no job or money down on their luck but the slums get bulldozed every so often in some places their just sad poor people with nothing to eat. as a very last resort they catch and eat dogs but don't do it for any reason except necessity. they love dogs but street dogs are just different too. if you pet them they bite 100% of the time im told. the street dogs live in fear of being ran over and eaten by dogs mostly but on rare occasions humans depending on how close they are to the slums.
    Last edited by COMM BLOC; 06-16-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
    COMM BLOC:

This thread kicks ass. Please continue with the pics of local life, it's great.
    im trying to mobilize my ground forces at the moment. im all over this! glad you guys like it so far its terribly unorganized! thanks buddy! ive got my sd cards numbered now and can find pics a little easier but not by much. I had to go to grocery to get ingredients for shrimp soup after seeing pics. theres also a street dog I rescued ill add that story in there as well. lots and lots of homade guns at the end.
    Attached Images

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    its more fun in the philippines!
    John, understatement of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    I was so amazed at my first experience there how much it had completely changed my outlook on humanity and how happy a culture can live
    Truer words have NEVER been spoken, John. My years there completely changed my rather narrow outlook on life, in a positive and almost spiritual way. To put it a little more specifically, it kinda knocked the edge off my protective shell of American Arrogance and made me more appreciative with the hand I was dealt in life. I felt like a different person, and I guess I was deep down inside.
    COMM BLOC and armory74 like this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    above pic and below is some larger cannons and ordnance leftover at the base where jose rizal was executed. this is an old fort in south Luzon near manila where the japs killed 6000 locals during ww2. us bombs hit it. unexploded ordnance and Spanish era cannons littered the fort so they piled it up here outside just hanging around. IMG_9877.JPGIMG_9878.JPGIMG_9879.JPGIMG_9880.JPG
    Last edited by COMM BLOC; 06-17-2015 at 08:26 AM.
    otus and Wyo Wolverine like this.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors