PHILIPPINE ISLANDS LOCAL FLAVOR - its more fun in the philippines! - Page 43
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: PHILIPPINE ISLANDS LOCAL FLAVOR - its more fun in the philippines!

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_1993.JPGIMG_2014.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2012.JPGIMG_2022.JPG this is the main museum in baguio. its focus is on tribal living and barely mentioned anything else. the 3rd pic is an exact mini replica of the getaway huts available for rent mentioned previously. 3 story building with an art gallery in attic.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_2052.JPGIMG_2051.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2088.JPG as an American I learned stuff I felt I should have already known about here from my schooling. on 2nd level of this museum theres a story that says baguio was cut off from the outside world completely until the us govt built a road there to put a colonial military base in January of 1901. had no idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai View Post
    Yeah completely different perspectives in the PI and it varies quite a bit island to island as well as do the people. My girl lives in Mindanao, South Cotabato. About 50% Moslem. Funny thing is in Mindanao what we call Al Queda influenced terrorist cells they properly refer to as Bandits. Pretty sure it's still under travel advisories, was my last visit anyways. Then there is the New Peoples Army and other "terrorist" organizations that don't even have weapons. It's all been a game Manilla plays with DC to suck out millions in "assistance".
    Consequently folks in Luzon tend to regard folks from Mindanao as "bad people".

Some of the islands they are pretty obsessive about lightening complexion…Luzon is really hung up on it. Reason is something most Americans overlook, the PI has more actual Spanish influence then even Mexico. They were a colony of Spain well before Mexico and remained thus until around 1900 when we seized them. Like Mexico many of the powerful families bred within their own lines and don't look the least Asian. It's not uncommon to run into a gal with looks totally European but whose family has colonial roots and no, they won't ever be found as bar girls in Subic City, ect. Same families still speak Spanish as well.

The cuisine is a hodgepodge of Malay, Spanish, Chinese and American all blended together with liberal consumption of Tuba, Palm Wine
    you get in very rural areas folks still eat things like Aso Adobe, a rich stew like dish made from Dog meat. Damn good eats actually but now technically illegal due to pressure from American do gooders.

It's always surprised me how the people have pushed past what should still illicit hate. After the Spanish American war you had the insurrection as the people attempted to seize their own destiny from America. As a result the US Government went on a full scale campaign of pacification. No one knows for sure how many men, women and children we murdered their, somewhere between hundreds of thousand and better than a million coupled with a vast system of Concentration Camps. It's figured we killed more civilians than the Japanese did during WWII. Funny thing is you talk to people they are like, That was old times, things are different today. No real ingrained bitterness towards America or the Japanese. My gals parents were both Guerrilla fighters against the Japanese yet had Japanese friends they introduced me to.

Another thing is America has been mostly kept in the dark about the Red Chinese laying claim to nearly all of the South China Sea all the way down to Indonesia and Brunai including a number of smaller islands that were Philippine territory
    There have been actual invasions by Chinese Marines to seize a few islands, instead all Washington is concerned about are starving bandits in Mindanao. This is all slowly heating up and is a factor in why both Manilla and the Viets are courting DC to reopen our former Naval stations in their respective nations.

It really is a very neat place to visit, gal wants me to move there. She owns a fair bit of land stretched across three islands but I find the heat and humidity of Mindanao rather unbearable. Great to visit but I literally have to climb half way up the nearest volcano before I can get comfortable which about where she starts complaining it's getting "cold".
    then there are the blackouts, sometimes for more than a day in rural Mindanao. Her fridge and freezer are always in a state of semi defrost. Normal to her, makes me a bit crazy.
    That's not even getting into the Rats, literally the size of small cats…snared over a dozen last trip that were killing her chickens and other birds. Neighbors think I am some sort of wild man, they have forgot the use of snares and the like, just use poison for the most part.

Life in the Cities is much different but still plenty of Rats.

Did I mention I HATE Rats !
    Sorry to dredge up an old post, but you might be interested in Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. He has a show called "The American Peril" about the United States first tangling with Cuba, The Philippines and our first taste of "globalization" with Teddy Roosevelt and President McKinley. It is quite educational and eye opening.

Hardcore History 49 - The American Peril - Dan Carlin

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_2364.jpgIMG_2372.JPGIMG_2747.JPGIMG_2360.jpgIMG_2355.JPG I have about 3000 more pics like this too. just kinda run of the mill stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_2515.JPGIMG_2517.JPGIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2739.JPGIMG_2742.JPG tic tacs weren't that bad for a penny.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5904 times
    Some amazing photos CB.
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_2671.JPGIMG_2732.JPGIMG_2728.JPGIMG_2672.JPGIMG_2731.JPG strawberries are what the little girl above was harvesting and sorting. they are quite a big deal in baguio since theres no other way to get a strawberry in Philippines. each berry costs a bundle. its a tourism thing. locals make all sorts of alcoholic beverages and stews you name it from those little berries we take for granted. to them they are a rare luxury they act like. big bucks!

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo Wolverine View Post
    Some amazing photos CB.
    thanks buddy! I like that doc you added!

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_2718.JPGIMG_2715.JPGIMG_2717.JPGIMG_2719.JPGIMG_2751.JPG funny story. Kentucky fried chicken-baguio. we see signs all up and down the street for kfc like its some kind of main event to put on your planner or something. we go to the building and its upstairs inside a busy car rental terminal. I go upstairs just to see the menu and ask where its at and they point oh its back there! I go back in the corner and theres a shoe closet sized kfc with a cheap ass white plastic door. theres enough room inside the kfc for one skinny manager to turn around and take your order. it had a sign on the door that said sorry were closed. heheheh! fucking with people-its more fun in the Philippines!

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_3061.JPGIMG_3093.JPGIMG_3095.JPGIMG_3063.JPGIMG_3062.JPG I love the average jeepney rides so much its hard to not take pics each time of the inside. this one had a jewelry store add sticker tacked up graffiti style. I couldn't bring myself to tear it down for keepsakes stock art or anything so I let it be. it might have been owned by the jeepney owner I never asked. bride seems to have what is likely a locally made m4 copy known as ferfrans pnp-11 or follow-up models. a rifle series im still trying to get good pics of.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_1913.JPGIMG_1918.JPGIMG_1206.JPGIMG_1207.JPGIMG_1208.JPGheres a couple locals putting boxing gloves on roosters feet in preparation for the main event. still reminds me of napoleon dynamite. ''do the chickens have large talons?'''

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    btr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    IMG_3693.JPGIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3697.JPGIMG_3698.JPGIMG_3694.JPG found this graffiti sign on way to chicken fighting arena. cpp npa is communist party Philippines new peoples army.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors