Here fish , fishy can you say bait? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Here fish , fishy can you say bait?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8457 times
    C'mon guys, there's nothing illegal about them. Its no different then buying surplus complete trigger groups or arm braces for our pap pistols. What is illegal is determined in how we use them.

I might pic one up. Mainly because I would like to use it as sort of a ping pong ball launcher.
    KOTOC-79 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    There's a guy at the local gun show who sells adapters for oil filters. Its beyond me how he gets away with it, he doesn't even try to hide it. A suppressor made from a Maglite flash light, I would call it the Malice Green signature series..

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3622 times
    I guess the question is when has "constructive intent" been met for this? I'm sure if you have baffles, the flashlight, the adapter, a gun, and no Form 1 that you are in deep shit. But would just ordering the adapter really be illegal to the extent you'd have the alphabets waiting at the PO? I honestly am asking, I have never seen a ruling on these. I thought that the oil can adapter WAS a controlled item, and that the actual adapter was serialed/registered like a drop in sear. I guess I'm wrong on that reading posts in this thread?

Just seems strange that I can buy an SBR AR upper so long as I don't have a spare rifle receiver with no upper laying around, yet not just this adapter. But then again, almost every fuckin gun law or ruling is strange/illogical
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    This would be like loading your back seat up with Starting fluid, Pyrex bowls, Lithium batteries, drain cleaner, and a case of Sudafed sinus pills. Then speeding thru a small town speed trap.

It just would not be wise to go there.
    Fiorentino, Walleye and Leviathan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAAK's View Post
    It's a Trap...
    In more ways than one.
    TRAAK's likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    I guess the question is when has "constructive intent" been met for this? I'm sure if you have baffles, the flashlight, the adapter, a gun, and no Form 1 that you are in deep shit. But would just ordering the adapter really be illegal to the extent you'd have the alphabets waiting at the PO? I honestly am asking, I have never seen a ruling on these. I thought that the oil can adapter WAS a controlled item, and that the actual adapter was serialed/registered like a drop in sear. I guess I'm wrong on that reading posts in this thread?

Just seems strange that I can buy an SBR AR upper so long as I don't have a spare rifle receiver with no upper laying around, yet not just this adapter. But then again, almost every fuckin gun law or ruling is strange/illogical
    I would think that constructive intent would be a secondary charge and not a main charge. You can't be charged with constructive content for having a bunch of parts laying around unless you had broke another law and had got caught. That is not a legal charge for the ATF to raid your home. Now if you made a suppressor out of it, got caught with it, and had other parts laying around then I can see the constructive intent change being applied. After all, you had already broke the law by building a illegal suppressor and had the evidence that you were going to build more.

A registered auto is just that. A auto sear that can be put to use in a firearm. Unregistered auto sears (the ones that we all have plenty of from our parts kits) are sears that can't be used. They are only illegal when used. At that point, if you used one and got caught, all the other sears from your parts kits could be considered constructive intent depending on how much of a dick the ATF wanted to be.

I remember reading years ago about a guy in my state that had got caught with a full auto AR. ATF raided his home and came out with 5 other ARs that were legal semi auto rifles, a couple receivers, and some uppers. He had a pistol upper that was on a shelf in his closet above his safe. ATF tacked on the charge of constructive intent of a SBR even though the lower was in the safe and he had a pistol upper.

The point being is that ATF cannot charge you for something when you didn't break any laws. It's like speeding in your car. You get charged when you break the law, not when you buy a car that is capeable of speeding.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    I would think that constructive intent would be a secondary charge and not a main charge. You can't be charged with constructive content for having a bunch of parts laying around unless you had broke another law and had got caught. That is not a legal charge for the ATF to raid your home. Now if you made a suppressor out of it, got caught with it, and had other parts laying around then I can see the constructive intent change being applied. After all, you had already broke the law by building a illegal suppressor and had the evidence that you were going to build more.

A registered auto is just that. A auto sear that can be put to use in a firearm. Unregistered auto sears (the ones that we all have plenty of from our parts kits) are sears that can't be used. They are only illegal when used. At that point, if you used one and got caught, all the other sears from your parts kits could be considered constructive intent depending on how much of a dick the ATF wanted to be.

I remember reading years ago about a guy in my state that had got caught with a full auto AR. ATF raided his home and came out with 5 other ARs that were legal semi auto rifles, a couple receivers, and some uppers. He had a pistol upper that was on a shelf in his closet above his safe. ATF tacked on the charge of constructive intent of a SBR even though the lower was in the safe and he had a pistol upper.

The point being is that ATF cannot charge you for something when you didn't break any laws. It's like speeding in your car. You get charged when you break the law, not when you buy a car that is capeable of speeding.
    Thanks 22, that's exactly my thinking on these as well. Unless they made a specific ruling that possession of these adapters alone constitutes a suppressor (similar to having just the drop in sear = MG), then I just don't see how ordering one of these would be breaking the law. I'm 99% sure that I saw oil-can adapters for sale that needed to be registered however just like a complete suppressor. I'm betting that ruling hasn't been made for these yet

Now with that said, I totally agree with the guys saying this isn't worth the risk. What the ATF decides the law is and what the actual law is are two completely different, unrelated things! My favorite example is the guy who got charged with having an illegal AOW because he had a pistol with a forward grip. He took it to court, and right when the judge was about to rule that the law does not consider that an AOW... the bastards dropped all charges so no legal precedent could be set....
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Fk that, people are dumb, doesn't matter what you or the seller calls it, cops will call it intent.
    I came to wreck everything,And to ruin your life........God sent me.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    Thanks 22, that's exactly my thinking on these as well. Unless they made a specific ruling that possession of these adapters alone constitutes a suppressor (similar to having just the drop in sear = MG), then I just don't see how ordering one of these would be breaking the law. I'm 99% sure that I saw oil-can adapters for sale that needed to be registered however just like a complete suppressor. I'm betting that ruling hasn't been made for these yet

Now with that said, I totally agree with the guys saying this isn't worth the risk. What the ATF decides the law is and what the actual law is are two completely different, unrelated things! My favorite example is the guy who got charged with having an illegal AOW because he had a pistol with a forward grip. He took it to court, and right when the judge was about to rule that the law does not consider that an AOW... the bastards dropped all charges so no legal precedent could be set....
    I hear ya. The ATF has a long history of raiding, charging, and dropping charges on people. That is their mentality.... the mentality of even though they (ATF) is wrong, they confiscated your guns, made you almost go broke from fighting it, and added undue stress. Those are worse that actually being charged and usually end up destroying people's lives. I remember years ago while I lived in another state fighting a gun bill at the capital. I showed up for support as I always did and after the bill was shot down (can't remember the proposed bill now... That was about 15-20 years ago) I seen the democrat that sponsored the bill. Being young and inexperienced I ran up to him asking why he was trying to take our guns away through bogus laws. I'll never forget his response, it was "If we have to violate ones rights and confiscate guns illegally and pay for it later through the courts then it was worth it to destroy one more firearm". That mentality threw me for a loop as it wasn't one I has ever seen before (I think I was 20 at the time). The mentality that they got the guns off the street while violating someone's rights and then drop the charges against them later. Talk about a completely fucked, travesty of justice. Anyways, its ATFs mentallity as well.

I had a friend that bought a full auto trigger for his glock online about 4 or so years ago. Don't know whatever happened to it but I know he never converted it and sold the gun. Yet he never had any LE contact him about it.
    Fiorentino likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bovver View Post
    Fk that, people are dumb, doesn't matter what you or the seller calls it, cops will call it intent.
    Police can call it what they want, doesn't matter. It's the prosecutor that prefers the charges. And every undercover operation should be done with prior review and approval of a prosecutor to make sure it meets legal requirements. The prosecutor should then maintain continual contact and review of the operation's progress.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"

NRA - Life Member
    VFW - Life Member
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    The law is never on your side.

Never.

Remember that.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Just kinda a side note... Do y'all realize how many vendors are selling these adapters for every thread oil filter, fuel filter, flashlight etc. they come in so many different shapes and sizes, steel, aluminum, strengths. It's off the scale. I personally don't take the time to worry about what someone else does. If you think it's being stupid to own FA AK parts in your home, plans for a RDIAS, a low shelf receiver, non 922r complaint guns, improperly permanent attached muzzle device on a 14.5" barrel, well I could care less. Everybody said the slidefire wouldn't make it or the forearm stabilizer for the pistols. I really do not think it's illegal to buy an adapter. When you use it to manufacture a suppressor you have now crossed the grey area for sure "if there is one." Just like our AKM's are a receiver hole, rail trim and drop in parts away from an illegal firearm. If I have sudafed, drain cleaner and acetone am I gonna make drugs?

Edit BTW these have been around since 2002.
    Last edited by jdub; 09-10-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would say suspect, but on the recycling note a solvent trap is a good idea. You don't have to use a mag light or anything that actually could be used in a suppressor build as a tube. Using chemical resistant fiberglass tubes will get you a good recycling device, without the legal headache. This tube is great for solvent use, but no good for suppressor use. Or PTFE plastic tubing or coated tubing make a good recycling device. OR you can use glass tubes.
    It is a good Idea to be as discreet as possible in the event the seller gets himself/or herself in trouble, if it appears they are obviously breaking the law. Preppers doesn't appear to be breaking the law, but they are splitting hairs pretty closely. What they are selling, is missing some pretty important components that have to be machined perfectly to even be considered for use as a suppressor. So unless your a machine operator, or a gun smith, your still not going to get a suppressor here, like I said, unless your a machine operator.
    You would still have to add the barrel tube, and do it straight, unless you care to chance the round possibly not firing correctly. I see a gun nut only at Preppers, trying to eek out a living on niche idea that gets gun owners pants wet but doesn't provide a product that I would shoot a round through. That is all I am going to say. It might look snazzy on the barrel of your gun, but I wouldn't recommend making a suppressor out of those flimsy materials sold at Preppers.

If you do a Google search, you will find the first dozen solvent trap sellers in about 15 seconds. There are a lot of these dealers out there, AND no one is getting arrested for "Solvent Traps". people do get arrested for non compliance with federal or state laws regarding suppressors, however when they do, there is no mention of the suppressor being derived from a solvent trap.

Last edited by JBeast; 11-07-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    Really..... your first post is dragging up a two year old thread. Maybe you should start in the new member section and go from there. Not pollute our main page with something nobody really cares about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors