Just got first AK (Yugo), have several dumb questions, please help/humor me...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BigSal
  • 1 Post By Rod M1

Thread: Just got first AK (Yugo), have several dumb questions, please help/humor me...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just got first AK (Yugo), have several dumb questions, please help/humor me...

Just got a Yugo NPAP from Atlantic firearms, great deal on a quality rifle. I just took it shooting for the first time today and have some questions about it:

1. What are the thread measurements for the end of the barrel? Apparently, based on what research I've done, there are several different thread types used on AKs: 14x1mm, 24mm, and 26mm. Which one does my NPAP have? The manual doesn't say.
    2. The stock adapters that Krebs and ACE make: what do they adapt the Yugo to? I know this seems like a dumb question but they don't actually specify on either of their websites. Do they adapt it to take a regular AK stock or do they adapt it to take an AR stock? I know that adapting AKs to take AR stocks is quite popular so I didn't know and thought either was plausible and wanted to make sure.
    3. Oh, and why does it (my rifle) only have one sling attachment point (on the left side of the gas tube)? Where am I supposed to attach the other half of the sling to?
    4. Between those two adapters (Krebs and ACE), is either one significantly better than the other? I noticed the ACE is about 20 bucks cheaper so that's which one I'm leaning towards, though I'm also seriously considering an ACE folding stock so if ACE is crap I'd like to know about it regardless (seems they have a pretty good reputation but I just wanted to make sure). Are there any other folding stocks I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help, guys, I really do appreciate it.
    Last edited by KalashNCoffee; 09-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do.

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    Congrats on entering the world of Kalashnimkov Rifle ownership! The Serbs make a great product.
    Here are your answers

1: 14x1mm LH
    2: The adapters are for all ACE compatable stocks.
    3: To the stock or if you got the DF model to the rear stock mechanism.
    4: Other folks will have different opinions, but I am not a fan of ACE based stocks. Using screws and loctite to secure the stock in a horizontal position is not as sound as I would like. YMMV.
    KalashNCoffee likes this.
    --> VEPR DOT ORG <--

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashNCoffee View Post
    Just got a Yugo NPAP from Atlantic firearms, great deal on a quality rifle. I just took it shooting for the first time today and have some questions about it:Oh, and why does it (my rifle) only have one sling attachment point (on the left side of the gas tube)? Where am I supposed to attach the other half of the sling to?
    You can loop the webbing of your sling around the stock right by the receiver. Some wrap para cord around that area then attach the sling. In stalling an eyelet would be best. I will see if I can find a video showing this.

The sling is at about 5:30 in video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgg1JdOg6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbG1673OYdc
    Last edited by Rod M1; 09-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    KalashNCoffee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSal View Post
    Congrats on entering the world of Kalashnimkov Rifle ownership! The Serbs make a great product.
    Here are your answers

1: 14x1mm LH
    2: The adapters are for all ACE compatable stocks.
    3: To the stock or if you got the DF model to the rear stock mechanism.
    4: Other folks will have different opinions, but I am not a fan of ACE based stocks. Using screws and loctite to secure the stock in a horizontal position is not as sound as I would like. YMMV.
    Thanks very much for your help. So if the ACE adapter only allows you to use ACE stocks...what's the Krebs one do?

Also, another question I just remembered that I was wondering about earlier: I've been using Monarch ammo from Academy Sports, it's not corrosive, is it? Just making sure. Is there even any commonly available corrosive 7.62x39 ammo out there anymore today? I don't think there is as best I can tell. From what I've read: Wolf isn't, Tula isn't, Brown Bear isn't, and the Soviets stopped using 7.62 so long ago that any corrosive military surplus has long since dried up.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the sling, Rod, that's kinda what I suspected (you just tie it around the stock, basically, haha).
    Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    FWIW, the ACE receiver block is compatible with Stormwerkz hinges. The ACE/Stormwerkz combination I've got on an OPAP feels pretty solid to me, and Stormwerkz seems to have a pretty good reputation for strong hinges. As someone else on this forum pointed out, the ACE receiver block can be installed upside down on Yugos to give yourself an in-line stock. I did that and have been pretty happy with the result.

If you decide to use an ACE receiver block with an NPAP, you may need to dremel out a little clearance on either side of the receiver block to accomodate rivets at the back end of either side of the receiver. I've been looking at trying it myself; the process doesn't seem too intimidating.

ETA: I'm sorry, I meant to say "receiver block" instead of "adaptor" above.
    Last edited by Il Cattivo; 09-02-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    Not exactly. The ace system consists of a adapter (either fixed or folding) and a screw on stock. Any ace compatible stock (made by ace or not) works with these systems.

Because several of the vendors here market these systems I won't continue to berate them, but I don't run them on my rifles.

Best of luck man!

*edited to add* Krebs makes nice items and if you are going to throw your money into an ace compatible stock system, they are a good choice.
    Last edited by BigSal; 09-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    --> VEPR DOT ORG <--

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSal View Post
    Not exactly. The ace system consists of a adapter (either fixed or folding) and a screw on stock. Any ace compatible stock (made by ace or not) works with these systems.

Because several of the vendors here market these systems I won't continue to berate them, but I don't run them on my rifles.

Best of luck man!

*edited to add* Krebs makes nice items and if you are going to throw your money into an ace compatible stock system, they are a good choice.
    Thanks, but what exactly does the Krebs adapter do??? Does it adapt to ACE stocks as well? Does anyone make an adapter that will allow a Yugo to take a regular AK stock? Or an AR stock?

Member #
    Liked
    897 times
    Is there even any commonly available corrosive 7.62x39 ammo out there anymore today? I don't think there is as best I can tell. From what I've read: Wolf isn't, Tula isn't, Brown Bear isn't, and the Soviets stopped using 7.62 so long ago that any corrosive military surplus has long since dried up.
    From what I've read (this forum is a great wealth of knowledge) Yugoslavian is corrosive. I've never shot it so I don't have experience with it. Clean your gun after you shoot and you won't have to worry either way.
    "God's away on business."

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks, but what exactly does the Krebs adapter do??? Does it adapt to ACE stocks as well? Does anyone make an adapter that will allow a Yugo to take a regular AK stock? Or an AR stock?
    Well I will take a shot at this, My understanding is all or most bolt on stocks and accessories for them have the same bolt pattern. It's just a matter of getting the right adapters. "but what exactly does the Krebs adapter do" My understanding is it fills the hole in the rear trunnion of the O-PAP, N-PAP and some milled receivers sow you can bolt on stocks and accessories. I could be wrong on this!

Using the adapter plate with an AR15 tube adapter I don't see any problem attaching an AR15 stock to your PAP. Don't take my word for it but call Krebs to verify it.

AR stock adapter:
    http://dpharms.com/products/saiga_fu...ga~2Fak47.html

This posting should clear everything up the two photos are your current stock options:
    http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=154729

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166929

Last edited by Rod M1; 09-04-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors