Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: West Virginia?

Member #
    Liked
    1348 times

West Virginia?

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody here could give me insight to WV. I may have to be moving here shortly for an air force assignment and would like to know, most importantly, how the gun culture is there? I assume very friendly. Is it mostly a state of ruralness?

Any "intel" is appreciated thanks

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    If you get to move to WV you will love it here. WV is very very gun friendly we are allowed Class 3's, SBR/SBS's, Suppersors. open and conceled carry, and alot of places to shoot. I will never leave this state because of that. Where are you getting moved to in the state. The state is fairly rural but both panhandles are heavily populated and in the last 5 years there are alot of jobs around here since the natural gas boom hit, not only in the gas fields buy is local services also. I.E Walmart, Dr. offices, stores and others incase you have a wife or girlfriend moving here with you. If there is anything else I can help you with just ask.

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Schultze pretty much nailed it. Pretty rural and definitely gun friendly but who knows with Manchin still in office how long that lasts.
    WTB: E. German BC 1276 (have one to trade)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    793 times
    Watch "Deliverance".

Nuff said.
    WTB
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59437
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59170
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N L-90108
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N F-80598
    FN-49
    SVT-40

Member #
    Liked
    1348 times
    Thanks for the info schultze. The base is in Martinsburg. Pretty sure the only "big" city it's near is Baltimore. Looks to be a smallish town.

how is the climate in the winter? I'm imagining bleak, 6 months of snow like in NY, or is that totally not true?

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    If you don't kayak, learn. A lot of great whitewater...go to Summerville in September and ride the Upper Gauley with some local outfitters, you will have a blast and will be able to tell if your into it.{think trial by fire}
    DMack likes this.
    I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.- Erwin Rommel

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Weird, weird fact.
    The best kim-chi I've ever had (other than two tours in Korea), was in West Virginia!
    I was at a Chinese restaurant and had to ask about it. The lady who made it came and we talked. She was from Munsan, just up the road from where I had lived.
    So, believe it or not, WV has some diversity to it.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"

NRA - Life Member
    VFW - Life Member
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    1016 times
    Except for U.S. Senator Joe Manchin West Virgina is a pretty gun friendly state.

Last edited by Miller Tyme; 12-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives, the trick is to not be around when they go off.

Member #
    Liked
    1115 times
    watched this train wreck last night. My God they say Arkansas is full of dumb rednecks.

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by will36; 12-30-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Deliverance was actually in South Carolina. I too always thought it was West Va. Martinsburg has a lot of thuggery going on, surprisingly but not as bad as were I live in NC. Winters are fairly bleak as you said. It is not as po dunk as most of the state since the area is two hrs from DC and you can practically throw a stone to VA, PA and Maryland from where you will be. I70 and I 81 intersect there so you can get around real easy.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Martinsburg is in the eastern "panhandle" of West Virginia. Its is far and removed from the rest of West Virginia. You would be better off asking "What's it like in Maryland" or "What's it like in Virginia." Rolling hills is the best way I can describe the scenery. Don't know about the people, but they must be a lot like people from Maryland or Virginia.
    As far as gun laws go... West Virginia is at the top of the list for gun friendly laws, but drive a short distance into Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania and all bets are off. Cross the border into Maryland, and you'll get the feeling that Big Brother is in full control in many ways.
    We have a US Senator that was recently elected, Joe Manchin. He sucked up to gun owners to get where he is. He even had a political ad on TV where he shot a deer rifle at a target and acted real tough. It helped get him elected. And then, just a little over a month after being elected, he was THE FIRST political figure to SUCK UP TO OBAMA after the tragedy at Newtown, Connecticut. He called for putting a stranglehold on "assault weapons" and mags. He was also a sponsor of one of the worst proposals the US Congress looked at last year in response to the "Newtown Craze."
    I will be displaying a 4'X8' campaign sign for his opponent when he is up for reelection.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Just be careful while in Charleston, the mayor likes to make up his own gun laws. Our group
    WVCDL.og has a lawsuit against him right now. He is in violation of the State constitution.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maschinengewehr View Post
    As far as gun laws go... West Virginia is at the top of the list for gun friendly laws, but drive a short distance into Maryland, Virginia or Pennsylvania and all bets are off.
    Not to derail the thread, but PA is pretty damn friendly for the most part (always could be better, but far from the crap around us). Open carry is legal without a license in the entire state with the exception of Philly. Sheriff's sign off in a lot of places as well for NFA stuff. We have an extremely powerful community of gun owners that is incredibly organized and makes sure most infringements are met with a response. We are a shall issue state when it comes to carry licenses. Purchasing requires only a drivers license and has no limits on quantity. Our Uniform Firearms Act is the key though, it guarantees and protects our gun rights very explicitly... even outlawing having a registry of serial numbers/owners (this is being violated still though when it comes to handguns, but hopefully not for long). The only problem is some places like Philly violate it without repercussion, for now atleast.
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 01-03-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correction

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    Hi,

Was wondering if anybody here could give me insight to WV. I may have to be moving here shortly for an air force assignment and would like to know, most importantly, how the gun culture is there? I assume very friendly. Is it mostly a state of ruralness?

Any "intel" is appreciated thanks
    I live in Ohio. It's been said to not be one of the descendent of the "aggressors" from the "War of Northern Aggression" in the State of West Virgina after sun down. Just stopping at a gas station, they will start to make small mealy pig whistles toward you while you pump your gas. Then someone plucks a banjo. If you don't leave soon, you will end up like this guy from the documentary Deliverance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    But wait a minute 7n6,... Ohio is a blue state and West Virginia is a red state.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors