Broken tap
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Broken tap

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12185
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    348
    Liked
    5 times

    Broken tap

    And it has happened, yep. I know this has happened to someone here before. I was trying to install a bullet guide on my Saiga, and the tap broke. I was trying to be so careful for this not to happen. The gun came loose and fell over, snapping it in half. Then I tried to grab it with some needle nose and a chunk broke off pretty easily. I still have some left there. What is gonna be my best bet? Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    127
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Liked
    103 times

    Re: Broken tap

    If you own a chisel that will fit in the hole use that to break up what remains.
    If you don't own a chisel which is small enough, you can use a small center punch.
    Practical not "tactical"

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12145
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    2,358
    Liked
    2 times

    Re: Broken tap

    or a nail set
    Get It Hot!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    Member #
    948
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    2,092
    Liked
    90 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Or last resort, carbide drill bit, solid point or straight flute. If the threads are ruined you can drill out to the next common size, 12. Common pitches are 24, 28 and 32.
    слава пиву!

  6. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17615
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albany, Georgia
    Posts
    1,045
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: Broken tap

    they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out
    *still looking for a 70's era izzy akm barrel trunnion*

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12185
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    348
    Liked
    5 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Quote Originally Posted by kalibos
    they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out
    Yeah I'm looking at that now made by Walton.I think I will give it a try
    http://www.amazon.com/Walton-10063-F.../dp/B0006N8DFK

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    13310
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    My Fallout Shelter
    Posts
    1,141
    Liked
    25 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Sorry to see your tap broke there, lab. As for me, I'm surprised some of my taps HAVEN'T broken.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell

  9. #8
    Technical Advisor

    Member #
    2371
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    14,682
    Liked
    3344 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlabsrule
    Quote Originally Posted by kalibos
    they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out
    Yeah I'm looking at that now made by Walton.I think I will give it a try
    http://www.amazon.com/Walton-10063-F.../dp/B0006N8DFK
    Those tap removers sound good but generally they self destruct as the small claws that reach down into the tap flutes just cannot get enough bite before they deform or break from the stem area of the tool. My experience anyhow. Carbide bits will walk and wander as there is no stable/flat surface to drill against. A Dremel burr of hardened steel can work to some degree of success., but>>
    For the money and time I have found that the advice already given above in using a nail set or very fine chisel to "fracture" the brittle tap is the best path to removal. You can also try using the set or other instrument to drive the tap at an angle to revolve or turn the tap so it threads it's way back out. Sharpen a hardeened tool if you need to make a fracturing tool.., try to fratcure the cutting flutes off the main body etc.

  10. #9
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12185
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    348
    Liked
    5 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Thank you for the info. I'm about to go over this guys house who wants to look at it.

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17615
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albany, Georgia
    Posts
    1,045
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: Broken tap

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlabsrule
    Quote Originally Posted by kalibos
    they make a tool that has 4 little fingers that fit in the grooves down the side of the tap that will let you screw the broken piece back out
    Yeah I'm looking at that now made by Walton.I think I will give it a try
    http://www.amazon.com/Walton-10063-F.../dp/B0006N8DFK
    Those tap removers sound good but generally they self destruct as the small claws that reach down into the tap flutes just cannot get enough bite before they deform or break from the stem area of the tool. My experience anyhow. Carbide bits will walk and wander as there is no stable/flat surface to drill against. A Dremel burr of hardened steel can work to some degree of success., but>>
    For the money and time I have found that the advice already given above in using a nail set or very fine chisel to "fracture" the brittle tap is the best path to removal. You can also try using the set or other instrument to drive the tap at an angle to revolve or turn the tap so it threads it's way back out. Sharpen a hardeened tool if you need to make a fracturing tool.., try to fratcure the cutting flutes off the main body etc.
    never had a problem with the ones i use on base...then again, they are probably better quality than the $11 one the OP linked.
    *still looking for a 70's era izzy akm barrel trunnion*

  12. #11
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12185
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    348
    Liked
    5 times

    Re: Broken tap

    I got it out. It was a waste of time trying to turn it out. After we broke it off flush I took a punch and just knocked it straight down. Got a new tap and this time, used the tool. Re tapped it, and it was good. Thank you again for the advice everyone.

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Broken to fixed!
    By gunwolf in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
  2. Broken CZ-82 :(
    By Dawg180 in forum Eastern Bloc Pistols
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 11:29 PM
  3. broken cz 52 firing pin
    By dave21262003 in forum Eastern Bloc Pistols
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 10:07 PM
  4. broken tap removal
    By dmrodco in forum Build It Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Search tags for this page

broken tap bullet guide

,

broken tap in saiga

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.