Have you ever been asked this?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Have you ever been asked this?

Cliff notes: Should I send a copy of my Drivers License to a seller before a ftf sale?

Long version:
    Saw an ad for a Mossberg 142 on another board. Looked like a good starter gun for my nephew. In the ad, seller states in bold that its for sale only to NYS residents (which I am) only ftf and DL required. I responded asking where in NYS and after getting an answer, posted "I'll take it".
    We played email tag for a day trying to link up and his last email was this:
    "Greg: well at the moment, I am indisposed. I had a little heart attack early Friday morning. At the moment I am still in the hospital. Am having a procedure tomorrow, and then I'll be home. We should be good for later in the week though.
    If you can, could you scan and email me a copy of your driver's license in the meantime?"

Huh?

Can't say I've ever been asked to do this. Also can't say I'm really comfortable sending my DL to some random guy.

In my experience doing ftf sales, I've been asked to bring a copy of my DL once (for the sellers bound book) and once met at an FFL to do transfer (seller was a little skittish and we agreed on it ). Any other time, it was " you a felon?-no. Is this a crime gun?-no. Ok, here's the money, here's the gun, here's the receipt. Have a good day."

You guys have any input on this? Any ideas on why he'd need my DL before the sale? My first instinct is to tell him to FO. But I don't want to be a dick if his request is normal.

Banned

Member #
    Oh, that's right your not from Texas....I used to have a handle on life but now it's broken
    Liked
    9 times

Re: Have you ever been asked this?

Quote Originally Posted by g-rem
    Cliff notes: Should I send a copy of my Drivers License to a seller before a ftf sale?

Long version:
    Saw an ad for a Mossberg 142 on another board. Looked like a good starter gun for my nephew. In the ad, seller states in bold that its for sale only to NYS residents (which I am) only ftf and DL required. I responded asking where in NYS and after getting an answer, posted "I'll take it".
    "Greg: well at the moment, I am indisposed. I had a little heart attack early Friday morning. At the moment I am still in the hospital. Am having a procedure tomorrow, and then I'll be home. We should be good for later in the week though.
    If you can, could you scan and email me a copy of your driver's license in the meantime?"

Huh?

Can't say I've ever been asked to do this. Also can't say I'm really comfortable sending my DL to some random guy.

In my experience doing ftf sales, I've been asked to bring a copy of my DL once (for the sellers bound book) and once met at an FFL to do transfer (seller was a little skittish and we agreed on it ). Any other time, it was " you a felon?-no. Is this a crime gun?-no. Ok, here's the money, here's the gun, here's the receipt. Have a good day."

You guys have any input on this? Any ideas on why he'd need my DL before the sale? My first instinct is to tell him to FO. But I don't want to be a dick if his request is normal.
    I ask for a copy from sellers all the time.......
    I have an FFL and if I buy from anyone other than a dealer it is a MUST!

I understand your concern and the way he asked is a bit of a "red flag".....just email him back and tell him that "I have no problem proving my identity and will show you my license in person when we meet".

On the other side of this if a seller is unwilling to provide me his DL for a dealer transfer than I would be breaking the law to complete said transaction.

Also, you have to remember that you show the DL every time you write a check and your drivers license number is out there literally thousands of times. Your SS # is a different story.......

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by buckoff

Long version:

Huh?

I understand your concern and the way he asked is a bit of a "red flag".....just email him back and tell him that "I have no problem proving my identity and will show you my license in person when we meet".

On the other side of this if a seller is unwilling to provide me his DL for a dealer transfer than I would be breaking the law to complete said transaction.

Also, you have to remember that you show the DL every time you write a check and your drivers license number is out there literally thousands of times. Your SS # is a different story.......
    unless you live in Indiana....I live there for a couple of years and they put you SS# on you DL
    POW! You just got Tapco'd the fuck out.
    rsregulate aimpoint surefire No Mas

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

You have to show ID to fill out a 4473. His request is not outlandish.

Member #
    Liked
    749 times

Tell him your scanner is down and you'll show it in person when the time comes. :roll:
    Howling Byzantine Uncivilized Barbarian

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I saw that ad, that was a nice buy! Personally, for a private FTF sale, providing a copy of your DL at the time of sale is acceptable, but I would not scan and email a copy ahead of time. You don't have any guarantee the deal will actually go down at this point. Also, I can think of no good reason why the seller would need it prior to the actual sale.

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times

He might be looking for reassurance that you are being truthful about your state of residence before going to the trouble of setting up a meeting.

It' up to you, but I don't see sending a copy of the DL as a big deal.

Member #
    Liked
    991 times

Quote Originally Posted by donkismash
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoff

Long version:

Huh?

unless you live in Indiana....I live there for a couple of years and they put you SS# on you DL

Only if you request it , otherwise it is a random number they provide you with in Indiana.
    Any problem can be solved with the proper application of high explosives, the trick is to not be around when they go off.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times

Asking for a DL copy for a private sale is not unreasonable. Also not unreasonable to request one from the seller.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    137 times

ftf no problem but I personally wouldn't send a copy of my i.d. to anyone I didn't know unless we had done adeal as on gunbroker or similar
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I would bring a copy in person and ask him for ID too. A scanned copy, no way! Doesn't sound like he wants to sell a shotgun to me.
    Living the dream

Member #
    Liked
    243 times

Present in person only!...no scannned copy... giving that is setting up for ID theft..
    "Asked what the 250,000 Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by a half million German soldiers, a Swiss replied: shoot twice and go home."

Banned

Member #
    Oh, that's right your not from Texas....I used to have a handle on life but now it's broken
    Liked
    9 times

Don't get too paranoid......

As long as he is willing to SHARE (his FFL or ID in exchange for yours) you should be good to go.
    I ran into a scenario close to this trying to buy an AK from this board a few months back.
    Odds are he is just as concerned about you as you are about him

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times

in order to do a FTF transaction in most states, dont you have to verify that both of you are members of the same state? hence, the necessity that everyone puts their driver license on the table...also nice to prove age, etc

im not 100% on the state of the law, but i would not sell FTF to someone unless they were present in my state of residency and proved that they too were a resident with a current state id

that being said, i go so far as to not do any transfer other than thru ffl anymore, even if the person is resident of my same state, unless it's like my bff who is also a resident of my same state...
    WTB: russian dshk kit or built semi DSHK
    WTB rare cool kits: russian, north korean, what have you, pretty much anything greasy old commie, ak, pkm, dshk, maxim, whatever

Sponsors