• 3 Post By JoeMomma

Thread: SOG Knife

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11556 times

SOG Knife

Here is one you don't see everyday...a real deal, been there done that SOG knife. This knife belongs to forum member Frenchy, who was issued this knife while serving in Vietnam. As you can see, the knife is well used, but still in good condition considering the age, and the fact that this one was actually carried in the field.
    This is one of the early ones, because it is without a serial number that was sometimes used on later blades. I was told that the idea behind using a serial number was because if the Soldier that was issued the knife was KIA/MIA and the knife was found on a dead or captured NVA/VC, there could be a rough determination of where the US Soldier went missing or was killed.

Oddly enough, original SOG knives were not made in the US, but Japan by the Japanese Trading Company Yogi Shokai. Here are the pics, enjoy!

22many, pwcosol, TRAAK's and 2 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    Very cool.

Member #
    Liked
    17875 times
    That's a wicked looking blade... looks like it's been used for several different "applications"

I dig the whetstone. Don't want a dull knife goin' into Charlie.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8377 times
    Dam...that is just too cool!!

Member #
    Liked
    434 times
    Great knife and nice to see an example still owned by the service member to whom it was issued. Hope Frenchy, if he has not done so already, has written up a brief bio of how & when he got the knife, where it was carried and under what circumstances. When it comes to historic artifacts such as this, we are only temporary caretakers, preserving them for future generations. Someday it will be passed onto another whom hopefully will have as much appreciation for it as does the owner. Having a provenance to accompany the knife makes it all the more interesting (how many times have you seen a collectible and thought " if it could only talk..." ?) as well as valuable.
    JoeMomma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51470 times
    Thanks JM and Frenchy.

Excellent example and history explained...
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    2747 times
    Very nice, I need one to go with my GAU-5A. How were these compared to a Randall, not necessarily quality wise, but were they more common because they were more available(affordable)?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's my understanding that these knives were issued to members of Military Assistance Command-Studies and Observation Group,Vietnam (MAC-SOG). They were manufactured to be "sterile" (unidentifiable as US gov't equipment) on Okinawa by Japanese civilian contractors. So to compare them to Randall knives is really comparing apples and oranges. Once a SOG knife was issued it could, and frequently was traded or sold by the SOG owner to other soldiers. SOG was a super elite unit composed of troops from all three services and folks would be amazed at the operations they conducted during the war.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    To answer the other part of Wingnut308's question, the SOG knives are way more rare than Vietnam carried Randall's. For every 1000 Randall made there was a SOG knife issued.

Member #
    Liked
    2747 times
    Frenchy/JoeMomma, Any info you can expand on regarding how this was issued would be great; including where you were upon issuance, who received them, etc.

BTW, if anyone reading this thread that hasn't read any of John Plaster's books, do so.
    46rob likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11556 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    Frenchy/JoeMomma, Any info you can expand on regarding how this was issued would be great; including where you were upon issuance, who received them, etc.

BTW, if anyone reading this thread that hasn't read any of John Plaster's books, do so.
    Although I know the basic circumstances of where he got this knife, I think its best if Frenchy would explain it so you can get the information direct from the source.

I will be posting up a few more of Frenchy's treasures in the very near future so history buffs and collectors can get a good view on some rare gear that was used in Vietnam. Stay tuned...
    TRAAK's, 56cbr600rr and pwcosol like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Sponsors