Anyone know old US fighting/bowie knives?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeMomma
  • 1 Post By MississippiRifleman

Thread: Anyone know old US fighting/bowie knives?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Anyone know old US fighting/bowie knives?

Picked up a few knives some time ago and have been having trouble ID'ing them. Any experts on knives that that could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. All I can gather is that they are bowie style, which was designed in 1830 and popular during the Civil War.

US Stamped Sheath. Knife handle is wrapped in leather string. Missing pommel. Blade has taken on rust/leather from being stored in the sheath.
    IMG_0213.JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0217.JPG

Not as much interested in this one yet. Looks heavily ground down and mill marks on the blade? Maybe lead pommel.
    IMG_0218.JPGIMG_0223.JPG
    If I had to go to a planet... an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down, I want an AK-47.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11211 times
    I don't know if that is an issued version or not, but the knife itself kind of reminds me of early Navy knives that were issued during WWII.
    MacSr63 likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The second one looks like it may have been a Western brand knife withaluminum pommel. It appears to have been sharpened a lot.

Are there any markings on the first knife? I could be wrong, but contrary to the US stamps, I don't think it was ever a standard issue knife but probably a homemade or modified one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Good lead on the 2nd one being western brand, very similar. I'd have to agree that the first knife is probably homemade/repair and not usgi issue. Can't find any maker marks on either knife.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    The top one looks like a theater made knife. Anybody with the necessary skills and access to a slack belt or grinder could knock out a decent enough knife for carrying around, and many did. You'll see them made out of swords, bayonets, leaf springs or any decent quality steel, with varying levels of fit and finish. Some look like hell, but others look like the work of truly artful individuals.

Neat pieces of history, regardless, and a fun avenue for collecting.
    MacSr63 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    829 times
    You beat me to the reply on this one, run across several of these recently, just like you said, theatre made knives. Cobbled together out of whatever they could find.

Sponsors