Push Daggers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Push Daggers?

A J

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I've never owned a push dagger. I may be wrong, but they seem to be somewhat of a "one trick pony"; great for self defense but so-so with all over tasks. For my money, have have several assisted opening knives for everyday carry. They're great for utility use and nobody gets rattled if I pull it out. Pulling out a push knife for some routine task brings me unwanted attention.

So, if you want to get a push knife, that's great. I'd just be careful when and how you use if for utility purposes. In my State (Michigan) you can carry any length blade, but it cannot be sharpened on both sides: another good reason not to carry a push knife. I'd much rather carry a knife that provides better utility use and doesn't attract unwanted attention and doesn't run afoul of the law (even a stupid law).

Finally, in the role for which it's designed (fighting) I'm not so sure a push knife is any better than a normal blade.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    I like them okay, but the only time I ever carried one for serious was in Iraq, and it was only for use as a strap cutter. The Safekeeper II is neat, but since it has a double edge, it's illegal as hell in Texas, from what I understand.

There's a lot of puzzling illegalities here, now that I'm getting to know my way around. Bowie knives, for instance. You can legally carry a rifle, but you can't have a Bowie knife? Don't make a damn bit of sense to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRifleman View Post
    I like them okay, but the only time I ever carried one for serious was in Iraq, and it was only for use as a strap cutter. The Safekeeper II is neat, but since it has a double edge, it's illegal as hell in Texas, from what I understand.

There's a lot of puzzling illegalities here, now that I'm getting to know my way around. Bowie knives, for instance. You can legally carry a rifle, but you can't have a Bowie knife? Don't make a damn bit of sense to me.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of politics
    God Bless our troops, especially our Snipers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Texas has some really absurd weapons laws. We have illegal weapons and prohibited weapons. Illegal weapons are illegal to carry. Prohibited weapons are illegal to own. Until recently automatic knives (better know as switchblades) were prohibited weapons. There was a defense under the law that allowed for possession of "collectible, or curio and relic" switchblades, but what a "collectible, or curio and relic" switchblade was, wasn't defined. Last Sept 1 the law changed and switchblades became completely legal in TX. Oh, except for the oops under illegal weapons which states "dirks, daggers, poniards, and Bowie knifes" or anything with a blade over 5" length are illegal weapons (i.e. illegal to carry). That means anything with a bayonet style blade (typical Italian style with a upper false edge) was illegal to carry, but my Tanto blade knife was legal. Brass knuckles are still prohibited weapons, but, you see them for sell in TX as belt buckles or paperweights. This, BTW, means all the folks with very collectible WWI trench knives are actually breaking the law in TX.

Next legislative session folks are going to try to address the blade design issue. Hopefully, the whole prohibited category will be addressed.

Oh, just for kicks and giggles, there is an out in the law for Masons, K of C, War Between the States Reenactors, Renaissance Fair People, etc... that says it is a defense under the law that you were involved in a lodge activity or reenactment if you are caught carrying a sword or bayonet with a blade longer than 5" or the wrong design or a Bowie knife, tomahawk, etc.

Note: "a defense under the law" means they can (and often will) arrst you but you have an argument when you go to court.

Now for the legal disclaimer. I am not an attorney and in no way is the above meant as legal advise. Consult a lawyer or the Texas State Bar Association for legal advise.

(PS, Kenny, come by and see me and I can show you where to pull up the latest TX laws.)

MDI

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
    I like push daggers - they serve a good purpose - but you'd need to be up close and personal to use them. Here are three that I own by Mickey Yurco, Roger "Mudbone" Jones, and Mike Irie:

The Mudbone Jones Dagger is made from a Horse Rasp.
    I only use knives for utilitarian, everyday stuff, but those are very cool.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    The laws we have now are meant only to make examples out of citizens for crimes that are purely political in nature. That is the essence of "defense under the law," as I see it. Sure, you have a "defense" under the law, but the powers are going to ruin your life and reduce you to penury in order to discourage the rest of the garlic eaters from getting too big for their britches.

It's time to take a good, hard look at what we have in the way of laws, and start abolishing about nine tenths of the superfluous garbage that exists only to make money for the state at our expense.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    There's been a resurgence of "Lapel Daggers" lately and a good few companies are producing some pretty cool variations. For those unfamiliar, they're based on these little thumb daggers issued to spooks back during WW2 and probably the Cold War too. IMO a lot of them are way too small but there's some longer ones out there that could be very effective last ditch type weapons and lend themselves to being rigged in webbing, straps or MOLLE. I have a 6" one from BRT Bladeworks that tucks away really well on various pieces of kit. Just keep in mind if you ever had to actually go to work on somebody w/one, you'd need a lot more than just a mere thumb and index finger grip on it... unless you were an OSS agent apparently.

Might be worth looking into instead of a push dagger. Very inconspicuous, even on a plate carrier. You can see one of those knobby push daggers on someone from a mile away.

And I just realized I resurrected this thread. Better late than never, I guess.
    Last edited by YankeeZulu; 06-01-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors