Damascus knives. How is their quality?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bossman

Thread: Damascus knives. How is their quality?

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Damascus knives. How is their quality?

Checking out some of these that were on display at a local gun show recently, I got to thinking what type of quality do Damascus type knives have that they were priced at well above what I would ever feel comfortable paying for a knife.
    The pics on their website do not do them justice as in person you really get to see in person and feel them and how sturdy they are but still. Is this what these knives should fetch price-wise?!?

Hometown Knives - Custom Damascus Knife Manufacturer
    Interested in Norinco mags in 223.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Damascus steel is primarily used for it`s beautiful looks rather than it`s performance as a cutting tool, modern tool steels when heat treated correctly will outperform damascus.Damascus steel was developed centuries ago to solve the problem of inconsistent alloying and heat treating processes of early bladesmiths. Those early bladesmiths knew that by adding carbon to iron resulted in steel, which was much more durable than simple iron, problem was if you had too little iron the blade would not harden when heat treated and would bend in battle(not good) if too much carbon was in the steel the blade would snap in half during battle (not good either) Some genius realized that if he forge welded a bar of low carbon steel to a bar of high carbon steel then folded the steel several times to produce many alternating layers of high and low carbon steel, the hard steel would stop the low carbon steel from bending and the low carbon steel would stop the high carbon steel from snapping, when the finished blade was polished the high carbon steel resisted the polishing more than the low carbon steel and a beautiful wood grain like pattern would emerge from the finished blade.Making blades this way was very labor intensive but produced a fine quality battle worthy weapon. The link you posted for Hometown knives states that their damascus is made from 1095 and 15n20, 1095 is for the "tool" function of the blade 15n20 is for the "pretty" part of the blade. 1095 is a good quality steel, most U.S. military knives such as the U.S.M.C. Kabar and other well known G.I. knives were made from 1095. 15n20 is also a good steel, it has a high nickel content so that when the finished blade is acid etched the 15n20 resists the acid more than the 1095 and gives better contrast to the damascus pattern.
    As far a the quality of damascus blades in general? it ranges from poor to wonderful depending on the steels involved and the care taken in it`s creation. The prices shown on the Hometown knives website seem quite reasonable for damascus knives and they look quite good but I have no feedback on their actual quality of construction.
    AK1776UNION likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have t Damascus blades from Silver Stag knives. They're also made from a combination of 1095 and 15N20 steels. Silver Stag shows on their website a video of them making their own damascus billets in house and speaking from experience with the 2 I own they cut and hold an edge great. Official Silver Stag Factory Website - Silver Stag Knives - Hunting Knives, Antler Handled Knives and Field Gear
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I have blanks made out of damascus to use in customizing knives. I prefer to use makers that are using known steels. Sometimes you don't know what is being used in blanks or billets from overseas. Some are very nice and some are soft. In my experience anyways.

Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Gotta watch what you buy some places on the internet advertise handmade knives and infer they handmake them....they are indeed handmade ...in Pakistan and resold here. You are getting sold a knife for 2-3 hundred dollars that you could find for $50.00 with a google search. Nothing wrong buying a Paki built knife if that is what you know you are buying....sucks if you buy it thinking it is a custom USA made knife with high quality steel and quality control in manufacture and tempering.
    "Asked what the 250,000 Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by a half million German soldiers, a Swiss replied: shoot twice and go home."

Sponsors