• 6 Post By russian_bot_5791
  • 1 Post By robdog

Thread: Yet Another Rhodesian FAL

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    478 times

Yet Another Rhodesian FAL

Thought I would post a few pics of this thing before the Chinese "Captain Trips" Coronavirus goes full-blown Andromeda Strain and kills us all. I mentioned some stuff about it in a different thread which I will repeat via copy/paste here. I'll post some more detailed pics of the RA#'s and such when I get a chance.

This rifle was put together using a variety of Rhodesian parts basically purchased one piece at a time when Rhodesian parts came up for sale of FAL Files or GunBroker so it's definitely not "matching". The receiver is a DSA Type 1. I milled out a circle in the mag well where the South African crest would have gone and worked over the finish using a Scotch Brite pad and some 400 grit sandpaper. I force-matched the DSA receiver to the RA# bolt carrier using a Dremel electro-engraver just underneath the ejection port and above the mag well.

The lower is a "clandestine A-serial" Type 2 that was made specifically for export to Rhodesia and while made in South Africa, never went into South African service. The RA# on the lower is stamped instead of electro-pencil engraved. I ended up using a really nice IMBEL barrel since every SA barrel I came across was shot out. I guess mine would be considered a "last ditch sanction-buster" build since none of the parts numbers match and any trace of South African acceptance marks have been ground or milled off. The lower - being the super secret "clandestine" variety never had any SA markings, and the bolt carrier, stock, and magazine have been sanitized (as well as my milling job on the receiver).

I also bucked the "they never used slings" trend and put an original - and heavily used - South African R1 sling on it. I also did not chop off the carry handle and used a NOS R1 carry handle I managed to find on GB. The hand guards have a matching number painted on the inside of both halves and have more paint on one half that they do the other. This seems pretty common with the HG's - one side will have a good bit of paint and the other side will be almost or completely barren of paint. I guess the side that rubbed up against the soldiers body and gear usually got more paint rubbed off. Just a theory.

I had some trouble getting it to run properly so I bought a NOS FN gas tube from Sarco. Took it back to the range and it was still screwing up. I thought maybe the springs might be worn out, so I went crazy and replaced all the springs with NOS Israeli springs. Replaced gas regulator spring, inner and outer recoil springs, gas piston spring, hammer spring, trigger spring, firing pin spring, sear spring, rear locking lug spring, and the rear sight spring just for kicks. Also replaced the rear locking lug with a NOS FN one from APEX. Still screwing up. Turned out it was a worn out extractor spring the whole time. Paid two dollars for a NOS Israeli one from Sarco and now it works great. Sucks to have not diagnosed the actual problem much earlier, but at least I have all new springs now and won't have to worry about replacing them for probably as long as I own the damn thing.
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 01-27-2020 at 05:09 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    There is a guy on the FAL who is running his to 25k rounds and his troubles happened with the extractor spring

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    Sure looks great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Nice, I call dibs after you’re dead.