Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Fal build tools

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13369 times
    Good price too.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    5475 times
    I had forgotten about this thread. I've been busy with other builds and been waiting on tools. I did mange to get them all torn down and am working on cleaning, there is a lot of gunk. Two of the front sights are frozen/stuck and are soaking in some penetrating oil. A couple of small parts needed to be replaced. They are cleaning up much better than I thought and I'm still really excited about building these.

Pic of receivers as promised with DSA barrels, they all hand timed perfectly. The receiver markings are current DSA offerings and I can take close ups if anyone wants.

Thanks for the advice on the buttstock tool. After seeing pics of "Fal spring face", I decided I needed one.

Some may remember my thread on reloading for 6.5 Japanese using Yugo RPK barrel stubs. I hate chucking a good piece of steel that might be useful. So with three Fal barrel stubs, some time and various tools I made my own buttstock tool.

The above is just a quick "see if I can make one" version, with a spare PPS-43 rod. It works. My next version will be more refined.
    JoeMomma and fussbudget like this.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Bolt disassembly tool is needed. Receiver wrench. Barrel clamp
    JeepFan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5475 times
    A little update and questions.

I got all three barrels timed, and did some more random cleaning. The stocks and handguards were very dirty and need a lot of work to get them clean. Citristrip and a acetone soak did wonders though. I'm in the process of using pure Tung oil on them now.

I did get a bit ahead of myself and did a mock up on the shop floor.

The handguards on the above kit were so nice I decided a new buttstock was in order to replace the not so nice one. The wood on the other kits is much darker and more reddish/brown.

I still need to drill the front sight pin and gas port on them all. After building bunch of AKs, I don't think that will be a problem.

Which brings me to my questions. Is there a recommended place to get pin gauges? Also what sizes would I need? Or does anyone sell a tool made just for figuring out which locking shoulder size I need?

I tried all the locking shoulders that came with the kits and no dice. No big deal as I'd rather learn the process myself.

Last question. Is the handguard spacer supposed to go in the first cut out like pictured above or the second?

Again I really appreciate the help. I plan to list all my suppliers after my test fire post. If anyone needs info now please shoot me a pm.
    Last edited by JeepFan; 02-27-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I actually bought pin kits from Amazon
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    If your hand guard has 2 notches it needs 2 spacers. I ended up just making spacers for mine.

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post

Which brings me to my questions. Is there a recommended place to get pin gauges? Also what sizes would I need? Or does anyone sell a tool made just for figuring out which locking shoulder size I need?

Last question. Is the handguard spacer supposed to go in the first cut out like pictured above or the second?
    You can get a set of pin gauges from gunthings.com that have been assembled specifically for the fAL rifle. $31

You can use only a single hand guard spacer. Photographic evidence overwhelmingly shows that Israeli troops normally only used a single spacer and used it in the same location you have yours installed.

You are on your way to some nice rifles. Congrats.
    JeepFan likes this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I’ve seen single and double spacer handguards, it’s ultimately up to you where you put a single or double. The point is to just keep the hand guard reinforced. I just turned and drilled some 1040 stock to fit mine. Makes a heavy arse rifle even heavier 🤪
    JeepFan likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors