getting a FAL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: getting a FAL

Member #
    Liked
    678 times

getting a FAL

Hi all. Falfiles take forever to activate my account (if it even ever happens at all) so i decided to ask folks here. i'm sure there are FAL aficionados on here as well.

I'm looking to pickup my first FAL. Probably metric - not sure why, but if my preference is misguided please do tell.
    Outside of DSA making new rifles and being pretty out there as far as prices go, i do not consider them to be my first go-to place. Just for the budgetary reasons i lean towards used gun. preferably under $1k.

i've seen sub-1k prices on forums and GB but only thing that stops me is complete lack of knowledge on anything FAL. Since i'm not looking to get into hard-core FAL collecting and as far as i understand there is almost as many FAL variants out there as AKs (maybe more) i would rather ask for a competent opinion than spend days surfing forums and digging through crapload useless/irrelevant info.

basically my questions boil down to following:

1. which are good used FALs i should look for when searching in my price range?
    2. which ones i should stay away from and why?
    3. if i can have something really nice for a couple of hundred above my price range what could it be and what my first, second, third choices should be.
    4. is there a version of century-built or imported FAL that doesn't suck?
    5. i really like looks of Israeli FALs, these seem to have been showing up lately for reasonable price and people are talking but somehow i can't find any available. did i miss the boat?
    6. if DSA ends up being my only option, is there anything i should know about DSA guns that may or may not be desirable, good, bad, etc.

thanks a bunch, y'all!

Member #
    Liked
    8497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    Hi all. Falfiles take forever to activate my account (if it even ever happens at all) so i decided to ask folks here. i'm sure there are FAL aficionados on here as well.

I'm looking to pickup my first FAL. Probably metric - not sure why, but if my preference is misguided please do tell.
    Outside of DSA making new rifles and being pretty out there as far as prices go, i do not consider them to be my first go-to place. Just for the budgetary reasons i lean towards used gun. preferably under $1k.

i've seen sub-1k prices on forums and GB but only thing that stops me is complete lack of knowledge on anything FAL. Since i'm not looking to get into hard-core FAL collecting and as far as i understand there is almost as many FAL variants out there as AKs (maybe more) i would rather ask for a competent opinion than spend days surfing forums and digging through crapload useless/irrelevant info.

basically my questions boil down to following:

1. which are good used FALs i should look for when searching in my price range?
    2. which ones i should stay away from and why?
    3. if i can have something really nice for a couple of hundred above my price range what could it be and what my first, second, third choices should be.
    4. is there a version of century-built or imported FAL that doesn't suck?
    5. i really like looks of Israeli FALs, these seem to have been showing up lately for reasonable price and people are talking but somehow i can't find any available. did i miss the boat?
    6. if DSA ends up being my only option, is there anything i should know about DSA guns that may or may not be desirable, good, bad, etc.

thanks a bunch, y'all!
    1. Like AKs. One with most foreign parts

2 Century made

3. SA 58

4. Nope! Well.... technically yes but those are hard to find. Century did import some semi auto rifles. I believe a bunch came in from Canada and theres been a few others.

5. Kinda. I forget who...DSA possibly....got a large batch of Israeli parts kits and built them into semi auto rifles. This was about 6 months ago.

6. NEW DSA are cast receivers. I've read mixed reviews on them and sometimes it's hard to tell whether or not someone just doesn't like it because it's not traditional or because there are functional issues.

-------------

I have one I was debating on selling. It's all Argentinian (metric) semi auto. Only one caveat. It doesn't run. FCG is dead and it needs Argentinian specific parts. I was going to send it to Arizona Response Systems. Mark told me...."Any FAL* hammer/trigger/sear set can be used in an argy lower if the cross bar/rivet in front of the hammer is removed." I took it to a few gunsmiths but none are knowledgeable about FALs and don't want to chance F'ing something up. If you're confident in your abilities let me know. Assuming you live where it's legal
    Last edited by Arik; 01-02-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5577 times
    If you can find a rifle built on an Imbel receiver buy that, look for the gear logo.

Imbel receivers were fetching $700 a few years ago but they are made under license in Brazil and are forged.

Older DSA receivers were forged but for many years now they have been cast. They had a problem with QC a while back but seem to have improved it recently.
    needs moar AK

or beer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    771 times
    If you can find an all matching Stg-58 (Austrian FAL) with original barrel built on an Imbel (preferably gear logo) receiver for a good price grab it. Those Austrian barrels were some of the best and the buttstock design makes you a smaller silhouette in the prone position. The gas regulator configuration and shortened soldered gas tube are a definite improvement over the original design. The muzzle brake is also a grenade launcher.
    Stay away from ANYTHING Century built!
    Stick with metric pattern since they are most prevalent for parts interchangeability. Only the Brits, Canadians and Aussies produced inch pattern FALS. Yes, yes, I know the Indians had a FrankenFAL made up of both inch and metric, but I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with one. If you can't score an Austrian, try and find an all Argentine or Brazilian. I won't mention an original Belgian unless you've got deep pockets. I would stay away from the Rhodesian kit built Fals since the majority I've seen were pretty much beat to fuck. PM me if you've got questions---I've got a few Fals
    Howling Byzantine Uncivilized Barbarian

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    imbel or stg58 kit on imbel receiver builds for best bang for buck. I would avoid DSA personally.

Member #
    Liked
    8497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by revivalofdeath View Post
    imbel or stg58 kit on imbel receiver builds for best bang for buck. I would avoid DSA personally.
    Why?...

Member #
    Liked
    3185 times
    I feel like DSA problems are like L88 corvettes, everyone had one or their buddy did even though there were ever only a handful. I wouldn’t be opposed to DSA if that’s what my budget limited me to as opposed to a preban or nice kit build. If you do, try and get one through Atlantic, and then you’ll be covered by their customer service and you’ll have DSAs warranty.
    jrsuds likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    You don't need a membership to read on the FalFiles. Use a Google search and end your terms with falfiles.com. Works a lot better than the board's search engine.
    There's tons of info there, as you may have guessed. Finding it can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. Look over the stickies in all the forums, there's lots of info there alone.
    Many of the questions you are asking take years of experience to understand and pages to try to explain. For instance, some DSA rifles suck while others are very sought after and command a premium. Complete 180 of an answer to the question above.
    Another example: "Your best FAL will be a kit build on an IMBEL receiver." Again, can be true or can be a giant disaster, you need to know what to look for and that takes pages to explain, trial and error to understand. Few people will be patient enough to type it all out and then also answer the long line of questions that are likely to follow.
    My advice is 1) don't get in a hurry to buy your first FAL, 2) use google to search topics you are interested in on the Files, 3) wait on your membership to be approved.
    In the meantime you can ask specific questions here if you like. Down in the basement is an FN FAL forum that some of us check on periodically, more often if it's active. Put direct and specific questions there and someone will answer.

Finally, if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and want to buy now, search out something that's coined as being built by a named gunsmith or company that's very recognizable. Come here with a link to your ad or provide as much information as you possibly can, with pics and we'll help you out. And be prepared to up your max price a little. People who have professionally built rifles generally know what they have and charge accordingly.
    Greyeagle, JoeMomma and 10Gauge like this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12451 times
    You can build one, but I doubt you will come in under 1K. Metric is the best choice, and like JR pointed out, Austrian is one of the best, if not the best. Try looking around to see what people have for sale, because sometimes great deals pop up, especially from the FAL collectors that have 4-10 examples. If your not sure, ask your questions here because lots of us like that original old black rifle.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    19810 times
    It took me years to track down what I wanted in a FAL, and that was in the good old days. I'm not sure you're going to be able to swing a sub 1k gun that's worth a damn, but you could get lucky. Like with AKs now you have to be careful about military barrels vs US made ones.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    5577 times
    There are some very interesting FALs on GB and look to be fairly priced. One seller has multiple versions.

Several years ago when the SCAR hit a bunch of folks sold their FALs to get one. It seems with more .308 options the Fals has been some what under valued.

If you can bring your budget up to $1500 there are many nice examples to be had.
    JoeMomma likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    This might be a good one to keep an eye on... Early DSA receiver, but it's a 16" carbine...
    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...33251#topoflot

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    There are some very interesting FALs on GB and look to be fairly priced. One seller has multiple versions.

Several years ago when the SCAR hit a bunch of folks sold their FALs to get one. It seems with more .308 options the Fals has been some what under valued.

If you can bring your budget up to $1500 there are many nice examples to be had.
    Spot on. If your looking to build or buy and get quality, $1500 is about right. I'll also add the fact that 7.62x51 is a bit more expensive, and unless you can afford to stockpile 1K rounds plus more for range sessions, then what's the point? Think of a battle rifle like you would think of a sports car, if you have to ask how much insurance, maintenance and fuel is going to cost, you probably can't afford it.
    scottyb likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    I haven't seen a decent FAL or SLR for under a $1000 in several years. You might get lucky and find one of the Canadian made "L1A1" Sporter rifles built for Century on Imbel receivers but they are getting harder to find anymore because people want the forged receivers.

One of my best shooting FAL rifles is a DSA Stg58. I believe it has a US made barrel and it's built on the older forged "DS" serial number receiver. It's great fun shooting steel at the 200 and 300 yd ranges. I bought it new from DSA and had some minor issues with it. First, the DSA fire control group was out of spec and caused the hammer to follow the bolt carrier resulting in doubling and no trigger reset. After they fixed that, I was shooting and the receiver latch lever broke in half and fell out onto the bench. I guess they ran out of military surplus parts and starting making MIM parts. Besides those two issues, the rifle has been fantastic over the last 12 years.

Last edited by jjjxlr8; 01-04-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    HKshooter likes this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    On the subject of cast vs. forged receivers, you probably won't know the difference. The forged receivers are stronger, but a quality cast receiver should be strong enough, especially for semi-auto only. I have a Springfield M1A with a cast receiver and it has been an excellent shooter over many years. Very accurate and 100% reliable so far. The scope mount fit perfectly so the dimensions must be good.

Last edited by jjjxlr8; 01-05-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    scottyb and JoeMomma like this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors