getting a FAL - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: getting a FAL

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Here's an example of the CAI L1A1 Sporter rifles after having the thumbhole stock replaced with some Australian wood and after re-threading and keying the muzzle.

JoeMomma and scottyb like this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    8509 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    On the subject of cast vs. forged receivers, you probably won't know the difference. The forged receivers are stronger, but a quality cast receiver should be strong enough, especially for semi-auto only. I have a Springfield M1A with a cast receiver and it has been an excellent shooter over many years. Very accurate and 100% reliable so far. The scope mount fit perfectly so the dimensions must be good.

What does "many years" equal in rounds? Not trying to sound like an ass but I know too many people who claim their guns are great over many many years but once you get to the bottom of it it turns out they barely ever shot. Physical ownership does not translate to quality. Ask my dad about his gun.... excellent quality.... excellent function.... never a problem. Ask him how many rounds and in 20 years it's one mag! Literally ..ONE mag! That means on avg he shoots less than ONE round a year
    Last edited by Arik; 01-05-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    jjjxlr8 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1103 times
    FALs and all their variations can be so hit and miss. Many times one that looks horrible can easily be turned into a great shooter.

I bought an Imbel receiver SA-58 made by Century. Not only were there no part numbers that matched, but I had to be careful buying replacement parts as it was a nice mix of inch and metric. The receiver was an inch pattern, which when I bought it wasn't a problem. As to the part numbers not matching, I went over the rifle carefully and found the Century two piece op-rod was not straight, which could explain why I got it for a great price. A call to Tapco back in the days when they sold to the public purchased a one piece rod and a couple of other parts and I wound up with a very reliable and super accurate shooter. I have no problem holding a 4 inch group at 100 yards using the iron sights, while standing! I can't imagine how accurate it would shoot with younger eyes!

I write the above to let you know that diamonds in the rough are out there. Learn as much as you can so you can tell whether an all numbers matching is really a good buy, or one like mine with no numbers matching but a tiny bit of work to make it a great buy! Your question here is a great start.

EDIT -Sorry for the confusion about the name of my rifle as I hadn't had it out of the safe in about 15 years. It is a Century built Centurion 58. While Century is known for building junk, every now and then they get one right, and I bought that one.
    Last edited by Indykid; 01-06-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edited because I made a mistake in the name of the rifle which caused another member to have a stroke.
    AZAK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    SA58 is a DSA designation and are all metric. You won't fine a DSA SA58 with L1A1 parts. You won't find a DSA SA58 with an IMBEL receiver. You won't find a DSA SA58 made by Century. You won't find a DSA SA58 on an "inch pattern" IMBEL receiver. I think you may be confused.

Two piece pistons were junk, Tapco did sell a one piece stainless unit that was good to go and found their way into many a home build.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Ha! That's a very good point, Arik. I'm the second owner of the M1A and it was "like new" when I bought it. I suppose it has less than 1000 rounds through it. I've put hundreds down the pipe, not thousands. Still, I would expect any casting flaws to show up pretty quick.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    1103 times
    My apologies on getting the designation wrong. It is marked Centurion 58. Was getting it mixed up with another. Oops, I am human.

Super Moderator Retired

Member #
    Liked
    2208 times
    <div>
    These are factory built DSA rifles and neither one has ever skipped a beat so I don't see why you should stay away from DSA.
    Stay away from some cobbled together Century rifles would be better advice IMO.
    Last edited by Glock Holiday; 01-05-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    scottyb and wingnut308 like this.
    I'm Your Huckleberry

Member #
    Liked
    8509 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Indykid View Post
    FALs and all their variations can be so hit and miss. Many times one that looks horrible can easily be turned into a great shooter.

I bought an Imbel receiver SA-58 made by Century. Not only were there no part numbers that matched, but I had to be careful buying replacement parts as it was a nice mix of inch and metric. The receiver was an inch pattern, which when I bought it wasn't a problem. As to the part numbers not matching, I went over the rifle carefully and found the Century two piece op-rod was not straight, which could explain why I got it for a great price. A call to Tapco back in the days when they sold to the public purchased a one piece rod and a couple of other parts and I wound up with a very reliable and super accurate shooter. I have no problem holding a 4 inch group at 100 yards using the iron sights, while standing! I can't imagine how accurate it would shoot with younger eyes!

I write the above to let you know that diamonds in the rough are out there. Learn as much as you can so you can tell whether an all numbers matching is really a good buy, or one like mine with no numbers matching but a tiny bit of work to make it a great buy! Your question here is a great start.
    I had one of those. It's not a SA58 just a Century S.H.I.T 98! Mine had a hacked metric Imbel receiver capable of taking inch mags and the rest was Indian/Australian and a little bit of Brit

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HKshooter View Post
    SA58 is a DSA designation and are all metric. You won't fine a DSA SA58 with L1A1 parts. You won't find a DSA SA58 with an IMBEL receiver. You won't find a DSA SA58 made by Century. You won't find a DSA SA58 on an "inch pattern" IMBEL receiver. I think you may be confused.

Two piece pistons were junk, Tapco did sell a one piece stainless unit that was good to go and found their way into many a home build.
    Some of the last good rifles that DSA came out with a few years back had NOS inch bolts. FWIW, the bush carbine ARS built for me had one as well.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    Some of the last good rifles that DSA came out with a few years back had NOS inch bolts. FWIW, the bush carbine ARS built for me had one as well.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Why? It’s expensive for a 3-4 MOA gun. Parts are more scarce than other options. DSA can be hit and miss but the only new option out there. If you want one for it’s history and sheer beauty, try to get a matching numbers kit built on an Imbel or early DS prefix receiver. A quality kit from Austria, Argentina or Brazil built on one of those will be around $1500-$1800 on the FAFiles marketplace. Sometimes less for a mix master of random sourced parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors