DSArms Receivers? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: DSArms Receivers?

Member #
    Liked
    1520 times
    It ain't for everybody I guess but I just like that it was a good 21st century update to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    The build arrives tomorrow!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    The build arrives tomorrow!
    Very exciting!
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    A few quick pics for now. So far, I'm pretty happy with the build, and my test fire with blanks (yes, blanks) went perfect. The only issue I'm having right now is my gas plug is unbelievably hard to release, but that's not the builders fault. I may have to switch this one out if it does not get easier to remove. On one hand, it ensures a nice tight seal, but on the flip side, its a real PITFA to remove.
    I had the kit force matched to the receiver, so the stock assembly, bolt carrier and bolt now match, and the stamps look factory. the parts for the franken bush rifle build are:
    Imbel barrel and related parts such as muzzle device and gas block.
    Imbel receiver.
    Imbel stock group.
    Austrian mag release.
    Imbel para rear sight
    Belgian bolt carrier
    Australian inch pattern bolt (NOS)
    US made inch style selector switch...I really like this a lot, its quite the improvement over the metric versions, and is very user friendly.
    US made folding cocking handle. The only issue with this so far is the lever does not fully go into the forward position all the time when released, but the more I work it, the more it does. I suspect this is due to it being brand new.

I'm considering painting this one, but have not decided yet. Enough blabbing, here it is:
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    Moses1986, AZAK, JeepFan and 4 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3797 times
    Nice result, who did the build? I’m thinking about sending my “Imbel on Imbel” FAL in to do something similar - get the original barrel cut back to 18” with a 5/8x24 thread so I can use a more compact and efficient brake. I really like the ears on that para rear sight, might need one of those. That rifle already has a nice VLTOR handguard so I’m not concerned about keeping it original. Shorter barrel and no monster break should give it a noticeably different balance than the other FALs.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    PM sent.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    Nice result, who did the build? I’m thinking about sending my “Imbel on Imbel” FAL in to do something similar - get the original barrel cut back to 18” with a 5/8x24 thread so I can use a more compact and efficient brake. I really like the ears on that para rear sight, might need one of those. That rifle already has a nice VLTOR handguard so I’m not concerned about keeping it original. Shorter barrel and no monster break should give it a noticeably different balance than the other FALs.
    The FAL barrel isn't big enough for a 5/8 thread.
    AZAK likes this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Nice build, Joe. Your builder looks to have done a fine job but I'd have to wonder, why would he leave the gas plug so difficult to operate.
    You should paint it up to complete the look. And we'll definitely need a range report. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the rear sight may be way off to the right. It'll be interesting to see where it groups on paper.

Congrats on the new addition! I hope it serves you well.
    JoeMomma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1520 times
    Builds so far for me has always been ARS Mark Graham.

Been the industry leader in the FAL gunsmithing.

Looks like a nice build.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HKshooter View Post
    The FAL barrel isn't big enough for a 5/8 thread.
    Thanks for pointing that out, should have thought of it.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HKshooter View Post
    Nice build, Joe. Your builder looks to have done a fine job but I'd have to wonder, why would he leave the gas plug so difficult to operate.
    You should paint it up to complete the look. And we'll definitely need a range report. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the rear sight may be way off to the right. It'll be interesting to see where it groups on paper.

Congrats on the new addition! I hope it serves you well.
    Actually, I don't think this is the fault of the builder, but rather a part that is having an issue with the internal spring. It almost feels like something is binding in there, so I'm going to explore ways of disassembling it to see for myself. If this does not work, I'll just replace it.

As far as a camo job...maybe, I love doing that stuff, and with the paint over park already on it, it would not be permanent. Somebody talk my into this....
    Hunter S. Thompson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    After some more dicking around with my plug, it now seems to be working just fine. I can only surmise that the problem was possibly a small bit of blasting media got inside of the plug around the spring causing some binding issues when depressing it. After some more oil flushing, and patiently working the springs, things seem smoother when depressing the button, and it now releases just fine.
    I'm sure glad this is the case, because I went to a lot of trouble sourcing these parts, especially the gas system.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1520 times
    It's rather sensitive in that area....a lot of the action and work happens there.

I have friends that over polished and wasted away the chrome in that area..

It rusted easily after that and then they complain of it..

JoeMomma likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PRDUBI View Post
    It's rather sensitive in that area....a lot of the action and work happens there.

I have friends that over polished and wasted away the chrome in that area..

It rusted easily after that and then they complain of it..

Yep, that's why I'm always careful. Many, but not all of gassing issues with FALs can be traced to bad, or weak ammo, and a gas system that is not in spec with regards to the piston and plug. Always buy the best condition parts for these areas when possible.

The best way I've found to clean both is by applying a strong solvent like Hoppes or Shooters Choice, then let it sit while you clean another area, then I use a worn out red Scotch Bright pad, and I do mean worn out, and gently rub off any carbon buildup.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    Range report. Temperature was in the mid 80s, and the ammo was Cavim from Venezuela which is decent stuff from what I've seen and experienced. The gas system was already set to 4, so I tried one round at that setting, and cycling and ejection was normal with the case going around 8 feet away, so I just left it alone.

All in all I fired 60 rounds using 4 different milsurp magazines. Two of these were unknown in origin and were bead blasted and refinished with Duracoat, one was German (I think), and the other Israeli...all worked fine, but some were a little tighter than others. I shot 5 rounds each time, and after getting my head out of my ass, moved the front sight post the correct way. Since I'm using a paratrooper rear sight that has 150 and 250 meter settings, I decided today I was going to get close by sighting at the bottom of the circle and have my hits slightly higher at 100M with the rear sight set to 150, and the groups got there. Once I got the groups about in the middle with a 6 o'clock hold, I ran the remaining 35 rounds in sustained fire to see what would happen when the barrel heated up, and I'm actually quite pleased. Things did pull left a bit, but individual shots were right on the money when things were cold. I need to check this out at 300M on my next trip, and I suspect I will a slight adjustment in windage and possibly elevation. I think this one is going to get a camo job.

Untitled-1rty.jpg
    After several adjustments. The slow fire for zero is marked, the unmarked were rapid, or sustained fire:
    Untitled-15ty.jpg
    Looks like I picked the correct front sight.
    Untitled-4ty.jpg
    Rear sight after zero. As you can see its not too far off to one side or the other:
    Untitled-2rg.jpg
    neko-romancer, JeepFan and Walleye like this.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors