Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Armalite AR 180

Member #
    Liked
    462 times

Armalite AR 180

Anyone here have these?
    I have had both Costa Mesa and Sterling made ones in the past and sold them or traded them for something else.
    Kind of wished I kept them because they shot really well.
    I guess I just miss having them as something different from AR 15s

Member #
    Liked
    1717 times
    I have an early Costa Mesa. I absolutely LOVE the thing. Funny you should mention the 180 because I'm soon going to be writing an indepth article about it. Here's my little buddy:

scottyb, Pookie, michmel and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Dude you read my mind. I didn't even know these things existed until a few days ago. Although not correct, I was thinking about getting a Brownells BRN 180 upper. I would really like one in the picture above, but I'm almost certain it would cost more than I'm willing to spend lol. Very cool rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Dude you read my mind. I didn't even know these things existed until a few days ago. Although not correct, I was thinking about getting a Brownells BRN 180 upper. I would really like one in the picture above, but I'm almost certain it would cost more than I'm willing to spend lol. Very cool rifle.
    The Sterling ones aren't particularly expensive, I've seen them go for less than $1500.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I have a sterling w/ original scope plenty of mags others are easily converted. I would not buy the new brownells upper, I prefer the original
    Sprat- Gunco, Weaponsguild, all sig forums, K-98k forum
    Jacksprat - ar-15 forums
    Capt jack - gunboards

Member #
    Liked
    1717 times
    Figure 1200-1500 for a Sterling and 2000-2500 for either a Costa Mesa or a Howa. For an original scope, 800 - ?? depending on condition, version and original extras such as box, manual, lens covers, cleaning cloth, etc.. However, you could always walk into a deal if someone doesn't know what they have. Surprisingly, thes rifles are more obscure than is to be expected.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 03-14-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceSells560 View Post
    The Sterling ones aren't particularly expensive, I've seen them go for less than $1500.
    That's much less then I thought. I figured since I've never seen them it would be pricey. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Figure 1200-1500 for a Sterling and 2000-2500 for either a Costa Mesa or a Howa. For an original scope, 800 - ?? depending on condition, version and original extras such as box, manual, lens covers, cleaning cloth, etc.. However, you could always walk into a deal if someone doesn't know what they have. Surprisingly, thes rifles are more obscure than is to be expected.
    So why the price differences? I figured they would be 2500ish honestly.

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    The tabs for the folding stock on the rear of the receiver seem to be only issue with used ones I see.
    I never had that issue with either of mine.
    I see them in rough shape fetch $1100 at gun shows and I found a very clean Sterling here locally for $1800 ish.
    Just seems too high to pay for one.
    Now if it came with the box ,scope and 3 mags yeah I would probably drop that much on it.
    My Costa Mesa was a tack driver and very smooth operating. The Sterling had its share of rattles but a nice gun overall.
    Never handled a Howa made one but I hear they are really nice.

Can't wait to read your article on them.

Member #
    Liked
    1717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So why the price differences? I figured they would be 2500ish honestly.

Approximate number made by Armalite in USA from 1969-72 ...…………….. 4018
    Howa in Japan from 1970-74 …………………. 3927
    Sterling in England from 1979-85 …………………. 12,362

Part of it is about the numbers.
    Part of it is that one is actually built by Armalite employees' own hands.
    Part of it is that Howa rifles are considered to be the best made of the three manufacturers.

I have personally compared all three and feel that, while different in details, there is no
    appreciable difference in build quality between a Howa and a Costa Mesa. Sterling built
    rifles by far look the most crude but they ARE just as well built and certainly function just
    as well as the others. Any is as good as all in the end and it just comes down to which you prefer.

I think that part of the mystique for US and Japanese produced examples is the fact that they were no longer readily available in the 1980's when interest in modern sporting rifles really started to catch on. It's always like that. You can currently buy THIS is and it's just as good as THAT but THAT is no longer available for sale. Welllllll, now I wish I had THAT instead of THIS! It's a curious human condition, wanting what you now can't readily get! And up goes the monetary value.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 03-15-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    780 times
    Wilhelm and MPiKM-72 like this.
    Howling Byzantine Uncivilized Barbarian

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post

Approximate number made by Armalite in USA from 1969-72 ...…………….. 4018
    Howa in Japan from 1970-74 …………………. 3927
    Sterling in England from 1979-85 …………………. 12,362

Part of it is about the numbers.
    Part of it is that one is actually built by Armalite employees' own hands.
    Part of it is that Howa rifles are considered to be the best made of the three manufacturers.

I have personally compared all three and feel that, while different in details, there is no
    appreciable difference in build quality between a Howa and a Costa Mesa. Sterling built
    rifles by far look the most crude but they ARE just as well built and certainly function just
    as well as the others. Any is as good as all in the end and it just comes down to which you prefer.

I think that part of the mystique for US and Japanese produced examples is the fact that they were no longer readily available in the 1980's when interest in modern sporting rifles really started to catch on. It's always like that. You can currently buy THIS is and it's just as good as THAT but THAT is no longer available for sale. Welllllll, now I wish I had THAT instead of THIS! It's a curious human condition this wanting what you now can't readily get! And up goes the monetary value.
    Thank you for the info lol Sterling it is!
    Wilhelm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    I got a Sterling for $400, but oh, that was in 1992. Still have it, and got a new in box scope about 12 years ago for $350. I have the a steel 30 and 40, and a few 20’s. Then a couple of years ago I sourced a manual. Cool gun with some history. The IRA loved it.
    Wilhelm and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsuds View Post

"I'll be back."
    jrsuds and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    I had a Sterling. They were a very nice rifle. it shot quite well, and I actually liked it better than the AR-15. I bought a used plastic lower version that the later "Armalite" made. It worked fine, but it didn't hold a candle to the original. There were WAY too many shortcuts and stupidity in that thing. It did a good job of reminding me of how nice the original was.

I'll likely buy the BRN-180 upper one of these days. I have a lower sitting around here, and whenever I get around to building it, I'll probably just buy one of those or the top half.

An original one is worth having though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors