Is there any point in keeping my carbine-length GS rifle?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Gypsy
  • 1 Post By Gypsy
  • 1 Post By AZAK
  • 1 Post By Stottman
  • 1 Post By Stottman
  • 1 Post By Gypsy
  • 1 Post By VASCAR2

Thread: Is there any point in keeping my carbine-length GS rifle?

Member #
    Liked
    470 times

Question Is there any point in keeping my carbine-length GS rifle?

Colt 6920 HBPW (SOCOM barrel). Am thinking of selling since I have a mid-length carbine w/16 bbl by Sionics.

Next purchase will be yet another mid-length GS carbine w/16 barrel.

Is there any point in keeping a carbine-length GS gun?

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    I can't find any, other than if you want a clone of something. I hated the length of barrel past the fsb. A Colt 6530 is kinda cool because of how weird they look, but that requires a different barrel...

I agree.
    Delacroix likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    I never understood this. What's the difference? What's the difference when shooting?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Not much. Midlength points a little different. Potential to be little bit easier on trigger parts and have softer recoil impulse. Little bit longer sight radius, less exposed hot ass barrel, same overall length, bayonet, something about buffers, etc...

So I guess it would be about a few things.
    Delacroix likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4245 times
    I shoot a mix of barrel lengths and gas port positions, so I have slight favorites, though I'm good with them all. I like a mid-length gas system on 16" barrels, rifle-length on 18"-20" barrels. Prefer gas piston over direct impingement when it comes to carbine length gas systems on 14.5"-16" barrels.
    Delacroix likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
    Colt 6920 HBPW (SOCOM barrel). Am thinking of selling since I have a mid-length carbine w/16 bbl by Sionics.

Next purchase will be yet another mid-length GS carbine w/16 barrel.

Is there any point in keeping a carbine-length GS gun?
    Selling a Colt, even a recent Colt for a Sionics?

Selling an extra would have made sense a month ago, and still does a little bit. Colts are still bringing a premium, but not as much as a month ago.

Accuracy wise, I would guess that the SOCOM barrel outshoots the Sionics. It might make a nice "DMR" type build with 4x or more optic, depending on the range that you have, or type of shooting that you like to do.

Also, with how short of a lifespan barrels have, it would also make sense to put back the barrel /upper at least, for a spare. The Colt SOCOM barrels have flooded the market, so you are going to get allot less in sell value then its going to cost you to replace an AR carbine barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    No love for Sionics? I figured you’d be pretty keen on them, but I see I was/am in error ...

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Sionics is another one of those AR companies that buys or steals a legacy firearms name and tries to use it to gain legitimacy. When in actuality, they make almost nothing or nothing at all. Everything is sub contracted..

Member #
    Liked
    470 times

Question

Hmmm ... I see.

And Centurion Arms? Are they subcontracting, too? Asking because CA was going to be my next mid-length AR purchase ...
    Last edited by Delacroix; 10-26-2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Addendum ...

Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Delacroix likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I like the carbine length AR-15’s with fixed front sight tower. I carried one for duty for many years and I used a front sight pic rail to mount a tactical light. I have shorter arms so I didn’t need the extra length in the front hand guard. The long float tubes are good for people who like to shoot with their weak arm fully extended. This technique really never worked for me and the metal float tubes get hot or cold a lot more than a typical polymer AR-15/M-16 hand guard. Really boils down to personal preference and what works for you. I have both metal float tube hand guards that have Key Mod and M-Lock. I also have a 20” AR-15 with Hogue rubber over molded float tube which is very comfortable to shoot. I have an addiction for AR-15’s and would probably keep the Colt as is, even though carbine length gas system. I also have 5.56/223 16” barrel AR-15’s with mid length gas system and they have been reliable and smooth shooting.
    Delacroix likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors