So I bought me a gun safe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: So I bought me a gun safe.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times

So I bought me a gun safe. With pic added!

Okay,

So last Friday I bought me a gun safe. I figured it was about time as I have gone to long without one. I do not have a truck or anyway to move a safe thus I was not able to get say one from a big box store. I needed delivery. So I set about searching. My plan was to put it on my 0% interest for 12 months credit card with 1,000 limit. Thus I had to come in at or under 1,000.

So I did research. I knew there was a champion safe dealer in Knoxville TN. So I went and looked at the champion model t. It had 45 minute fire rating, dial lock, and 475 pounds. I intend to bolt it to the floor. So, I found one at DT McCalls. They offered free shipping within 125 mile radius and would bring it in my home. Thus, since it showed in stock on their website I went ahead and placed my order.

I got an email from customer service on Monday asking me to call them back. When I do they tell me that they do not have the Champion model t in stock but that they do have a challenger ch-21 (made by champion) in stock and would let me have it at the same price as the model t.

The challenger has a 60 minute fire rating, door organizer, and weighs 525 pounds so it is a heavier made safe. They are delivering it this Friday afternoon. The challenger they had had an electronic lock but they are changing a lock to a dial lock for free.

DT McCalls was a little messed up on their specs though. Their sales people are not entirely knowledgeable about safes. When I called they told me the model t had a 30 minute fire rating when I knew it had 45. They told me the challenger had 45 minute. SO, when I hung up with them I called champion safe. They did confirm the model t has 45 minute and the challenger 21 has 60 minute. I called DT McCalls back and updated their sales people on the correct specs. The girl seemed thankful.

Champion Model T Specs
    Gun Safes | Home Safes | Fireproof Safes - Champion Model-T Gun Safe

Challenger CH-21 Specs
    Challenger Safe Company - Challenger Safe Company

The challenger safe itself comes with a lifetime warranty. I plan to spend 99.99 extra and get a lifetime lock warranty through champion.

I highly recommend DT McCalls to anyone who might consider ordering from them. Everyone I have talked to has been super nice and they have excellent customer service.

Champion makes the following safes for those that don't know and they are in Provo Utah.

Champion
    Superior
    Challenger

Now to buy me some 3/8"X8" wood lags to bolt the safe down to the laminate and subfloor. Then drill through the back insulation and fire board to run electrical outlet for a dehumidifier and light system.

For those of you that do not know Champion, Superior, and Challenger are all one company owned by Ray Crosby who before he owned and ran these companies owned Fort Knox and Liberty safe companies.
    Last edited by tdoccrossvilletn; 07-03-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    scottyb likes this.
    Sent from my mind using ninjitsu telepathy.

Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Congrats. Because of our current living situation I still haven't invested in a safe.

My uncle has spent his entire adult life as a lock smith, legally cracking safes. He always told me Liberty or don't waste your money.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    I need to upgrade to a liberty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    I bought a liberty safe after I got robbed. problem is I have outgrown it.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Check for a hole before you go drilling the safe. Most companies have holes for their electrical kits that they sell separately and it's just covered by fabric and/or a plastic plug.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I have a liberty Fat boy, and now after joining this forum I have ak's falling out when I open the door .. It sure don't like the grips on the aks in the front row, as it pushes them all towards the back and then when the door is opened they are falling out the door .. Time to go underground , lol

Also if your putting this safe on floor joists , it will have to be supported underneath the house . Or the weight will definitely ruin your floors and the joists ..
    Last edited by Frmconcrete09; 06-25-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3728 times
    Bought a Liberty safe a few weeks ago, very happy with it. Best feature? Made in the USA!
    PBR Streetgang likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdal View Post
    Check for a hole before you go drilling the safe. Most companies have holes for their electrical kits that they sell separately and it's just covered by fabric and/or a plastic plug.
    I'll check for sure but the folks from champion said there is a hole on the back but it doesn't go all the way through and that I'd have to drill it all the way through.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frmconcrete09 View Post
    I have a liberty Fat boy, and now after joining this forum I have ak's falling out when I open the door .. It sure don't like the grips on the aks in the front row, as it pushes them all towards the back and then when the door is opened they are falling out the door .. Time to go underground , lol

Also if your putting this safe on floor joists , it will have to be supported underneath the house . Or the weight will definitely ruin your floors and the joists ..
    If it was real heavy like say 700-800 pounds empty and then I put guns in it yeah I'd say that's to heavy for laminate. But at 525 pounds with four guns in it I doubt seriously anything will happen.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    I bought a liberty safe after I got robbed. problem is I have outgrown it.
    Hell, I've outgrown my safe five times. I have found the best (for me at least) solution was to add another safe, rather than trying to trade up to a larger one. Should someone actually get into one of them, they've only gotten into one of them. Most of mine are in different rooms, so they are not even all in one spot. And some of them are cheaper units where I store inexpensive milsurps and such that only require being secured.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    What, nobody bought a Fort Knox safe in here??

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    What, nobody bought a Fort Knox safe in here??
    Nope my broke ass couldn't afford one.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoccrossvilletn View Post
    Nope my broke ass couldn't afford one.

I hear ya. I wasn't planning on spending as much as I did, but after some real researching around, I scrapped up the money for one. What really sold me was the lifetime warranty on the locking system. If it failed, they have to come out and open it and rebuild it back or swap the door once opened.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    I hear ya. I wasn't planning on spending as much as I did, but after some real researching around, I scrapped up the money for one. What really sold me was the lifetime warranty on the locking system. If it failed, they have to come out and open it and rebuild it back or swap the door once opened.
    I'm getting the lifetime locking warranty with mine.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Pic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors