AK Rifles banner

WASR22 firing pin, who needs one?

13K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  MPiKM-72 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys. Thanks to John Gault specs are obtained for the factory firing pin and my friend with the lathe and surface grinder will be popping a few of these out shortly. He wants to know how many to make and I know I need two. Who else needs a firing pin? Cost is to be determined and ill update the the thread with that info shortly, and this thread is to give him an idea if its going to be worth it to run off a whole bunch of these. So if you need a firing pin put your name in this thread so a count can be made for him. Thanks!

Update!

After a couple of failed attempts with my machinist and the use of A2 steel, I received an e-mail from Kevin at Black Dog Machine. He now has the upgraded firing pins in stock and a healthy supply of them for us WASR .22 owners! Get them from BDM! They are worth it! They are a great upgrade and convert these bolts from floating firing pin to spring loaded, so no chance of a slam fire AT ALL! Thanks again Kevin for supplying all us .22 shooters with your innovative products!

Reactions: otus
#33 ·
Here is first 19 done, this is the spring loaded version.
When installing make sure the pin does not stick out past the bolt face. If it does it will need small amount ground off the front of pin. They all test fitted good in my sample bolt but I do know what tolerances or variation there may be in the guns.
I made a few changes to second batch. Better fit and all. Nail Tool accessory Metal

Attachments

Reactions: Gator Monroe
#35 ·
i have 40 of them done now just need to run over to my other shop and see if the springs i have there will fit. if they fit the pins are ready to go as soon as Racheal adds them to the website. worst case is i order springs, couple days out. I would say not a waiting list because 40 are done and im building another 20 to 30 tomorrow.
$15 each made from hard H-13, heads have been annealed. back of head is beveled, bolt face ends are also beveled for a harder strike

#38 ·
Other than sample springs I don't have springs any in stock. I thought I did but they are a little short. That is the only thing holding me up from shipping. Email has been sent to my spring people so hope to get them soon. Racheal will update the website soon. Will be seperate item and also bundled with the extractor sets with a little discount.
The trick with the pins is that they are injection mold component that I've modified So they come already hard and ground.

#41 · (Edited)
springs on the way, i would think by wed or thurs this week they are all ready to go.
racheal will create a order number for them, she says will be active on 2-3-2016
they will be active and ready tomorrow.
there will be 4 items to choose from.
a plunger/spring/keeper kit 40 in stock
a plunger/spring/keeper/extractor kit 40 in stock
a spring loaded firing pin kit 69 in stock
a deluxe kit with plunger/spring/keeper/spring loaded firing pin 69 in stock

EDIT, active now

#43 ·
give them a workout, if any issues get back to me. make sure you look at the front of pin to see if its protruding. I doubt it would be but just make sure.
I tested them in several bolt that I have and were all good, a little under flush. the body it nitrated H13 tool steel. the heads are annealed to take the impact
so they are not brittle. I've been running one in a gun for a while now with no issues. probably best to add a little lube when installing it for ease of movement

Reactions: Gator Monroe
#44 ·
Got mine today - thanks for the fast shipping!

Now the bolt disassembly learning curve begins...

#47 ·
I made the time to install my deluxe firing pin and extractor set. After reading horror stories of difficulty in removing the firing pin retaining pin I was amazed at how easy it was to remove the firing pin retaining pin on my example. It came out with gentle taps of the punch.

I took photos of the process - I'll see if I can post them later.

#48 ·
Received my new firing pin. Very well machined and a GREAT upgrade (spring loaded instead of floating). Pulled three .22 bullets and powder and it popped all three casings with NO problems. Have to arrange a range day now! Thanks Kevin for making these available to us, and keep up the good work!

Reactions: MPiKM-72
#49 ·
Biggest problem is the fact the Romanian 22 AK's bolt is designed to work with European .22 LR which has a thinner head. When US ammo is used with its thicker head then slam fires can occur. I got this from the man I got one of my rifles from. He is the factory smith for Walther and Anschutz 22 target rifles in this country. He helped his by deepening the bolt face a few thousandths.

Best cure for the rifles in the US is a whole new bolt that is designed for US ammo. CCI is the WORSE culprit when it comes to rim thickness.

I also showed him the BDM made firing pin and extractor parts. His judgment is they are VERY good and will help.

I then let him install mine in BOTH rifles. It is a miracle what true friends can and will do for others. It also helped that he was my operations Sgt when I commanded my Battalion. LOL He is also my son's Godfather.

#51 ·
Biggest problem is the fact the Romanian 22 AK's bolt is designed to work with European .22 LR which has a thinner head. When US ammo is used with its thicker head then slam fires can occur. I got this from the man I got one of my rifles from. He is the factory smith for Walther and Anschutz 22 target rifles in this country. He helped his by deepening the bolt face a few thousandths.
Is deepening the bolt face a bit one of the (generally) recommended mods for the WASR22s?
Or was this just a general Euro vs US parts comment?

#50 ·
Hawk45, thanks for that info. Never knew that about the differences between .22 rounds from this side of the pond to the other. Something to keep in mind for sure. Range burn in tomorrow for my new FP and modded MPI-69-.22 mag! I'll let everybody know how it goes!

Reactions: MPiKM-72
#53 ·
Step 1 was to remove the fiiring pin retainer. I've heard others say they had a hard time. Mine was very easy.

Old firing pin and retainer removed.

The hardest part of getting the new pin in was compressing the new spring. Once installed this was how far my protruded. I'd forgotten to check how far the original protruded.

Once installed my new firing pins contact surface seems canted, but I don't think it is an issue. It certainly looks like it will pinch the rim with more force. I cleaned the bolt face after.

Step 2 was extractor removal.

This forum taught me that I had to rotate this flat head screw on the bottom of the bolt to reduce the tension on the extractor spring before removing it.

Highest level tension position.

Screw turned to reduce tension.

New parts. I still have not figured out what the one pin (arrow) is for. It didn't seem to fit anything I could identify.

New extractor and plunger installed. Be sure to return the tension screw back to its original position.

Reassembled and dry testing function and hammer face contact.

New Black Dog Machine Magazine locking the upgraded bolt back.

I still haven't had the chance to do any test firing. Hopefully I will get to test it this weekend.

Reactions: ttman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.