Member #
    Liked
    0 times

how comfortable compared to standard stock

I have the bug for a Kyber Pass AK, but am wondering how comfortable the stock is for prolonged use.

Is it as comfortable as a standard stock AK to fire?

How about compared to an underfolder or a Romanian/East German sidefolder.

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: how comfortable compared to standard stock

I find them very comfortable, much more than the romanian or any other metal side folder. If you live in a very warm or cold area they can be a little hash on the skin. Soviets commonly wrapped their stocks with tourniquets for comfort.
    One day I will have a nice collection of AKs... instead of a nice collection of cardboard boxes.

WTB:
    Russian plum waffles

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

They aren't quite as good as a standard fixed stock, but they are a great deal more comfortable that underfolders or German/Romanian pattern sidefolders.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times

The only thing uncomfortable about the triangle folders is..., the price of the assembly. You'll soon see.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I prefer the steel triangle stock to any other stock out there.
    Celebrating 20 years of AK ownership: 1992-2012

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE
    The only thing uncomfortable about the triangle folders is..., the price of the assembly. You'll soon see.

agreed
    One day I will have a nice collection of AKs... instead of a nice collection of cardboard boxes.

WTB:
    Russian plum waffles

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by akobsessed
    I have the bug for a Kyber Pass AK, but am wondering how comfortable the stock is for prolonged use.

Is it as comfortable as a standard stock AK to fire?

How about compared to an underfolder or a Romanian/East German sidefolder.

thanks
    Hello there.

You will find that of all the military-spec AK folding stocks, the Soviet/Russian pattern steel triangular AKS-74-type, which the Khyber Pass stock is a copy of, is one of the best folding stocks there is. The only one that I can think of that is even better in any context, would be the upgraded Russian AK-100-series polymer stock.

Cheek weld on the AKS-74/Khyber Pass triangular stocks are a great improvement over any other type of mass-produced mil-spec AK folding stock, be it the underfolders, East German, Romanian or Polish sidefolders, or even the Chinese Type-56-2 sidefolders.

I personally do not find the underfolders or any of the above mentioned Euro-spec wire sidefolders especially comfortable when it comes to cheek weld. This is eliminated when it comes to the triangular side-folding stock, since the AKS-74/Khyber type is essentially a 'fixed' stock made of steel with a side-folding capability. When the AKS-74/Khyber type is in the 'fixed' position, there is absolutely no play in it at all, in great contrast to a great number of underfolders and at least some of the Romanian wire folders [I have yet to experience play in the East German sidefolders though].

Even after years and years of use and abuse, the triangular steel sidefolders that I have handled and shot were still good and tight, with that affirmative 'click' when the stock is locked in place. In sharp contrast to this, I can mention that I have a Polish AKMS underfolder, made in 1990 and that was used in the war in former Yugoslavia in the years between 1991 and 1995. On these maximum four to four-and-a-half years of combat service, the underfolding stock has developed a degree of play that is unacceptable. This wouldn't have been the case if it had been one of the triangular Soviet/Russian types. So my advice to you would be to go for it; you will not regret it if you decide to go for a Khyber Pass triangular sidefolder.

-Dan-

Member #
    Liked
    286 times

Dan,
    I agree with your assessment for the most part. But the metal triangles are a bit fragile IMHO. Buttstroking anyone or using the butt for a weapon or even hitting the ground in a heavy impact would damage or bend the stock. I'm speaking of combat type moves. I have also seen at least three of the stocks with broken welds in the couple dozen I obtained from ORF at the final closeing era. I assume that is why the later triangles had a rolled inner edge for increased rigidity and for adopting the polymer folder as the replacement, because it is more durable. Just my .02.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors