AK Rifles banner

Cold War Classic Kyhber from Dave T. *RANGE REPORT*

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Guard Marksman 
#1 ·
Dave T. called me today and thinks my Kyhber pass AKM russian clone should be done next week. Received 6 photos, here's a couple. Communication has been good and all time lines kept! The detail of work (especially around the rear triangular area) looks amazing. I have seen CWC builds for other members (e.g., CAB's Tula AKM) and always wanted one. One thing I've learned about contract work, if somebody's busy it's a good thing -downside is always the wait. I will post the photos when I get it in my hands. Here's couple of the photo links he sent :grin:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/ ... G_3063.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/ ... G_3065.jpg

#3 ·
Re: Cold War Classic Kyhber from Dave T. Shipping Soon *Pho

Very nice!

Dave is one of the best engravers I have seen.

#5 ·

I shipped the kit to Dave back around May and my understanding was I might be looking at about 9-12 months. Think he had about 50 kits(?) in line ahead of mine at that time. Periodically I'd check in and he'd reply with a one liner about estimate time he'd be starting and he was spot on. I liked the heads up call a week before finishing with photos to the customer and discussing payment arrangements. I don't know what his current lead times are, anyone interested should check.

#9 ·

Correct. It's a pre-engraved 74LLC receiver by David Riggs and sent to Dave T. Dave T. did the trunion engraving and the Kybher build.

#10 ·

Dave sent me the UPS Tracking # and some pictures before he boxed it up. It looks absolutely awesome in the photos. Can't wait to get it in my hands. I can see this becoming my "go to" AK. Built off a romy G kit that was new, a 74LLC receiver, added a russian rear sight and wood by Z-recto. Used hobby machinist to heat treat the rear trunion on the Hong Kong Bulgarian folder I picked up from DPH. Got Dave T. to put his proprietary "soviet" finish which I understand is tough as nails and looks authentic, and reengrave the trunion and stamp it. CWC rocks! :beer:

#11 ·
Re: Cold War Classic Kyhber from Dave T. *NEW FINISHED PHOT

Today I received the AKM. . I have bought over 100 different firearms since I started collecting. I have to honestly say this is in the top three best looking rifles I’ve ever owned. The finish is unbelievable and is the most authentic to the original only tougher. I’m a perfectionist and can’t find a flaw. Sights straight as an arrow, folding stock swings open/closes locks easily and rock solid. What a build...highly recommend. :allright:

**Updating 26 FEB with a range report and photo. 5 shot group @ 100 meters with Brown Bear 7.62x39mm 123 gr. using iron sights resting from a table top. The extreme spread was 3.5 inches. The other orange dots covering was working on finding the zero. No MOA clicks like a M16A2-A4, so you just have to turn the fsp and windage until you find your spot. This is very good accuracy for the rifle/ammo combination! Very pleased. :grin:

#14 ·
Bret said:
Great looking rifle! I'm curious what tool Dave used to erase the "G". I'm currently working on a virtually identical build, but am kind of stuck on getting rid of the G.
If the G is not too deep, you probably can use a piece of sand paper to remove it.

#15 ·
To get the "G" out you can use a flat flapper disc, called tiger wheel by some. They are very versatile and handy, a used one bites less, and is easier to do precise work.

#16 ·
I don't know what he used to remove G, but he's working on a another build for me now and will ask. The Kyhber is my favorite AK. The CWC finish is the by far the best AK finish you can get if what you want is close to russian/soviet. Highly recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.