Thread: Thrash of the day

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Frankly gentlemen, i'm not hearing the aggression i'd like

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    ^^^ I had that back patch on my denim jacket in high school.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    that's funny, because i still wear my denim vest (or stoner jacket) when i ride my motorcycle. love that thing, many memories.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    Occasionally I'll wear my Slayer leather. Yes, it's actually mine. Yes, that is painted on. No, I didn't paint it.

Rata del Desierto likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Well since it's Christmas and all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjI7gT1FvI
    Will swallow swords for ammo.

Mayhem Incorporated Sideshow.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    DAMN BLAHPONY, that's a dope graphic. Tankard, used to get wasted to this shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6aaqQ6iR0c
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    I listened and sang along to this when I was younger until I could taste blood in my mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRK6Mwycfzk

Fun fact: If the artwork style looks familiar, that's because Pushead is the singer for this band

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    just found this album, it was $40! so worth it though. Pantera - Power Metal, Over and Out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxAMi3DV60

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    This came up in shuffle. I really like the vocal effects they use in this song.

Entombed - Premature Autopsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dm8IdJASrY

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    how i felt at work on monday. HUMAN INSECTICIDE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDXWB8jjVDo

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rata del Desierto View Post
    just found this album, it was $40! so worth it though. Pantera - Power Metal, Over and Out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxAMi3DV60

HAHAH speaking of Panterra, found these (2) jewels earlier on Metal Archives...I laughed so fucking hard...my boss came going WTF is do goddman funny man!

this- a review by

N.W.A. discovers Prong - 0% bitterman, October 6th, 2013

Everything that ruined metal is documented in this one album. This album paints a picture of AC/DC shirt wearing pickup truck drivers heading to the meth house after swigging too much malt liquor while watching a marathon of Maury and Dog the Bounty Hunter. It's this single piece of drunken bafoonery that sapped all the creativity out of metal by showing people that they too can make money by playing groove based rock with faux-aggressive vocals and throwing pot leaf designs on t-shirts. It is the prototype for Korn.

Lyrically, everything that's wrong about metal now is found here. Phil Anselmo in all his heroin addled wisdom thought that, instead of coming up with something interesting to talk about, the mundane themes about the "tough street life" would resonate more with the hip-hop culture of mainstream America and, unfortunately, he was right. This was one of the key elements that were needed to allow angry suburban youth and meth head trailer park dwellers to relate with the stupidity of Pantera. All of these things are best exemplified in the after school special-isms of Walk and the cheap emotional appeals of This Love and Hollow. The f-bomb abuse suggests not a lot of time was spent on them, and feels more like something the Wu-Tang Clan would have come up with. The change to a more "urban" appearance in promo pics suggest about as much. These lyrics would make bands in the future reduce themselves to writing about mundane topics (the hood, street life) and shouting a bunch of disdainful words that mean nothing. It's just vague anger to "get people through a bad day", like the hip-hop or radio rock songs of the day.

This is barely metal aside from some guitar playing techniques. Pantera is really just groove based rock in how the focus is placed on sparse 2 note rhythm riffs being played for a "swaggering" hip-hop derived feel that will allow suburban kids to "get down with it". It is an urbanized version of banging on rocks in a wasteland. By removing all the intellectual aspects out of metal and dumbing it all down to a series of chugga chugga noises and hillbilly solos, Pantera remove any melody that could be found in Prong's groove riffs, further lowering the role of the guitar into being a percussive instrument to allow for Anselmo's bird squawking noises ("vocals") to take the forefront. Contrary to Anselmo's "I Hate Alternative Music" shirt he would often sport at this time, the grunge-isms in the verse of lead single "This Love" suggest an attempt to also appeal to the whine rock scene of the day since it was the most marketable guitar oriented music they could dress up as metal at that time.

When the home videos are more memorable for the jokes than the music, you know this band wasn't good. Unfortunately, jokes and some pot leaf design t-shirts were all it took to sell this "cool" album about "real street topics" to the impressionable morons of the day. The birthplace for Limp Bizkit rests in this album.

Vulgar Display of Power - Review by bitterman - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

and this

The Trailer Park Takes Over - 11% Scotar, July 24th, 2009

This album is terrible. I'm not going to be subtle about this point. Pantera is something that can only be compared with child rape, spousal abuse, and a rising infant mortality rate. They are far beyond abysmal and a vulgar display of trailer park mentality. The last album might've been just bad in that normal way, like say you're sandwich wasn't too good because the bread was stale and the meat was old. Vulgar Display of Power is like being forced to eat a sandwich consisting only of cow shit and menstrual blood from aging goats.

Vulgar Display of Power is Pantera's first official album. As we all know they started off as a horrendous glam band that no one liked . They released albums featuring such fabulous songs like Ride My Rocket (get the reference there?), Metal Magic, Heavy Metal Rules, and Hot N' Heavy. For some unknown reason, they never made it with those songs of epic prose. The band decided they needed a change. So they kicked out "pussy" Terrence Glaze (that's the worst stage name ever) and picked up "tuff guy" Phil Anselmo. They miraculously got "meaner" and "heavier". Well not really, but they convinced a lot of shitheads they did. Their first album with Herr Anselmo wasn't horrible, definitely their best, but by no means a classic. But no one bought the album and it was later deemed to be not "badass" enough. But soon they got a major label deal and an Exhorder demo in the mail, so Pantera were finally ready to claim they actually recorded the next album coming out. The next album was a sad attempt to mix brain-dead thrash with southern boogie. Harlequin fetuses would be fitting allusions to the results. But remember that Exhorder demo? Guess who they ripped off on the next album?

Even though Cowboys From Hell was terrible, people are stupid and many bought the album. Feeling that the next logical step for Diamond (he wasn't dimebag or dirtnap yet) Darrell and co decided to get even meaner and heavier. So they decided to listen to Exhorder's first album, take the vocals, riffs, and drumming style; but drop the Slaughter in the Vatican credo, the complex song structures, and the varying tempos and wah-la: Vulgar Display of Power. Oh yeah, they also weren't able to write coherent songs and added "i'm angry and I was raised in a single-wide muthafucka!" lyrics. Also every song sticks to an irritating mid-tempo groovestomp that even 2-year olds with downs can nod off to. An atrocity ensued.

Ever seen Gummo? Remember the redneck party that includes chair wrestling in a roach-filled kitchen? Well this music conjures that up to mind. The simple song structures that aren't much different from your standard hard rock of the time and Philip's attempts at being tough come off as well as your neighborhood wigger comes off at being ghetto. The riffs are bland and contrite. Take the most famous one from Walk. I think the sound my dish washer makes is more subtle and complex than that. Seriously it's the musical equivalent a beeping sound that you can't stop and have to endure for five minutes. Oh but remember: RE- SPECT- WALK(fuck you Anselmo). This Love has virtually no direction with the song reverting back to the acoustic part without any sense of progression. For seven minutes it's acoustic, ANGRY PART, acoustic, ANGRY PART, diamond noodling. It also boasts the worst lyrics on this piece of shit. "As it turns out/Deeper within me/ Love was quickly twisted/and pointed at you." "You keep this love, fist, scar, break" (what?) Fucking Hostile is a fucking trainwreck with the guitars, vocals, and drums all sounding out of sync and trying to keep up with the others in pace. A fast-paced track that falls flat on its face. People who like this album don't even care about the second side of it, so neither should you. The complete lack of any inspiration is astounding on those songs. The rest of the music would be perfect for Ford Truck commercials. That big, bad gasguzzling machine needs some Neanderthals from Dallas to provide the soundtrack. One more thing, I don't give a shit how good Dimebag's leads are, nothing can save these songs from the pit of musical inferiority.

Thanks to this album other bands with even worse music were able to make a career by applying the formula found herein. Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot took the simplified and artificially heavy riffing and sold millions. The first roots of Deathcore can be traced to Vulgar. Disturbed loved that beeping sound on Walk so much that that they covered it. Pantera were claimed to be the defenders of metal in the 90s, but they were really the Judas Iscariots. Ripping off a genuine heavy metal band like Exhorder that didn't start out as a glam band and had no chance of mainstream success and watering it down so much that it could be theme music for monster truck rallies and inbred hillbilly hoedowns is inexcusable. Grunge might've killed metal in the mainstream in the 90s, but Pantera did irrevocable damage to the genre as a whole. Every genre that elitists love to hate (nu-metal, metalcore, and to an extent melodic death metal) owes a huge debt to Pantera. Pantera is the reason that the majority of people think that metal must be for semi-literate morons only.

Vulgar Display of Power is to the metal community as AIDS is to the gay community. There is nothing else to be said.

Vulgar Display of Power - Review by Scotar - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

oh and here....

REAL metal!

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    I got an email from the Slatanic Wehrmacht about Motorheads motorboat cruise. Slayer Motörhead Anthrax Suicidal Hatebreed Exodus and a bunch others. Leavin from Miami goes to the Bahamas. Could you imagine bein on that ship? Wish I had enough vacation

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    Where the fuck did this thread go?

The Accused - Take My Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvQ3L2sUjQ

Member #
    Liked
    582 times
    I heard this band on an Earache compilation and liked this song. I've since found more of their stuff. They kinda remind me of an old school DRI.

Municipal Waste - Unleash the Bastards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKnGIKOqJg

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No love for Dirty Rotten Imbeciles?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors