Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Prepping For Aluma-Hyde

I've never done refinishing so bear with me if some of the questions are basic.

Anyways I have an old AK that I figured I'd practice with. I've spend about an hour or so sanding off the finish. There are some areas I could not get into
    and the original finish is still on the metal.

Is this a big deal or no? Check out the pictures below. I've also sprayed it with brake cleaner degreaser to get rid of all the oil.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Prepping For Aluma-Hyde

The prep is the key. Brownells has a youtube channel that explains everything. You will probably need to blast it. Degreasing is also very important. I am in the process of Gun-koting an AK right now. It's pretty easy but you need to make sure everything is clean. The brownells videos cover prepping, the application for each type of coating, and the curing (if required). Remove the trigger group, pins, sight leaf, sight leaf spring, muzzle break, and tape the threads on the muzzle to protect them. I would also plug the bore, gas block, and chamber so that nothing gets into them. Also consider if applying anything to the outer chamber and bolt will affect headspace. These coatings go on pretty thin, on the order of .004" for GunKote, so any imperfections on the surface will show right through. Here is the link to the Brownells Youtube spray-on finish guide series:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 86F817CADD

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks alot for the link! I didn't even think to check out their Youtube channel.

Good luck w/ your project as well

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by smorgasf16
    The prep is the key. Brownells has a youtube channel that explains everything. You will probably need to blast it. Degreasing is also very important. I am in the process of Gun-koting an AK right now. It's pretty easy but you need to make sure everything is clean. The brownells videos cover prepping, the application for each type of coating, and the curing (if required). Remove the trigger group, pins, sight leaf, sight leaf spring, muzzle break, and tape the threads on the muzzle to protect them. I would also plug the bore, gas block, and chamber so that nothing gets into them. Also consider if applying anything to the outer chamber and bolt will affect headspace. These coatings go on pretty thin, on the order of .004" for GunKote, so any imperfections on the surface will show right through. Here is the link to the Brownells Youtube spray-on finish guide series:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 86F817CADD

Good luck!
    I used aluma-hyde on one of my builds and LOVED IT. No baking or anything but I would heed the drying time. Also, to degrease the parts before you coat them I used the blue liquid in the Brownell bottle and it worked like a charm. Make sure you are detail oriented with this part as I am sure oil will cause inconsistencies in the coat. I am very pleased with Aluma-Hyde and will use it again. Hope this is useful to you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

appreciate the added input. I just finished using it to touch up some knicks and scratches and after two weeks it's hard as a rock and solid. perfect match to the existing finish.

i had my other AK blasted and now its ready for finishing. just need to warmup the garage so the temps are higher.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Alumahyde II is very, very good...degreasing/de-oiling is critical...I drench the gun in Iso-propyl alchohol then heat gun dry it...then I drench it in Clean-Bore spray Gunk out and cook it in the oven at 200* for 1 hr....this usually gets rid of any residual oils that are located in tight spots...Alumahyde was designed to be applied to bare metal and Aluminum but it works great over parked finishes as well...I warm the gun up with a heat gun and then spray extremely light coats on it about 5 minutes apart (maximum 3 coats)...these are applied at about 12"-16" away from the target...I let the gun hang for a coupla hours over a heater in a tin foil canopy and then I bake it for 1 hour at 170*...if you bake it longer the finish will turn out more glossy...when done it's tuff and very attractive...I usually use the matte black and immediately after removing it from the oven and letting it cool down I wipe it down with some CLP oil...I own Ak's that are finished in various other "pro" finishes and the Alumahyde finished units are just as durable and good looking as any of them...as 1st_ID_Veteran has said "prep is the key"...
    Akforum member #234...

Sponsors