Soviet army ak-47 use: primarily full auto or semi?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Soviet army ak-47 use: primarily full auto or semi?

btr

Member #
    Liked
    111 times

Soviet army ak-47 use: primarily full auto or semi?

I know the American military primarily uses their assault rifles on semi-automatic.

Was the soviet military trained to primarily use full auto or semi-automatic with the AK?

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    full-auto. there was no concept of individual accuracy in soviet doctrine, but rather superior firepower and enemy suppression en-mass to quickly advance. very little training was provided to regular grunts as far as target shooting or shooting in general. each squad had a designated marksman who would move with a squad and engage high value targets.

at least in the late 70s there were TWO range days allocated per year (spring and fall) to practice live fire and live firearms handling. but at least we had lots of marching with the guns and cleaning (once a week) rest of the time in between

this obviously only true for regular conscript troop. specialized unit folks were training quite a bit more actually.
    boatma1, AKMaadi, Stuxnet and 6 others like this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    A Russian field manual covers this issue.
    However, note the sustained rate of fire in full and semi auto fire. It is quite low vs the cyclic rate of fire.

https://app.box.com/shared/wfnjbu204s

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    that's a technical service and maintenance guide which covers neither tactics nor doctrine. basically it's an AK manual with some firearms safety thrown in for good measure.

btr

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    dnepr0mike
    , were you in the soviet military?

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    that's a technical service and maintenance guide which covers neither tactics nor doctrine. basically it's an AK manual with some firearms safety thrown in for good measure.
    It details the rates of fire and use of the firearm. If you have other printed Soviet data please post that reference material..

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    i don't care for that stuff, not enough to collect it anyways. i'm not a soviet army historian nor i pretend to be or wanna be one. this is not the kind of knowledge that needs to be passed through generations. i honestly don't get american's fascination with everything that associated with USSR and other totalitarian regimes. i suppose the rarity of it and relative unknown-ness of it could be a cutiocity but trust me, living through it myself i want to forget, not try to remember. there is nothing worth idealizing from that wretched past.
    l921428x, Batob, otus and 3 others like this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Hmm., this went sideways?
    Arik and evolixsurf like this.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    i suppose simple answer "i don't have any" would suffice. but anyways. plethora of old soviet documentation exist on dozens of russian gun/mil-oriented websites. if you google it in russian you can pretty much find anything. you just need to know what to google for, that's the trick. and since you can't just use direct translation to search for it, that's why humans that are fluent in both english and russian lingo so far have been the only way to bridge these two worlds. although majority of old documentation is in russian anyways so even if one could find it it'll be hardly of much use to non-native speaker.
    l921428x and otus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    FWIW, all the videos I've seen of classroom and field instruction show the the instructor sweeping the safety all the way down to the semi position. I think in almost any situation it would be easier and quicker to pass over the auto setting and go down to semi.

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    there was no concept of individual accuracy in soviet doctrine
    I bet the thousands of soviet snipers in WWII would like to contest this statement.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    we were taught to shoot controlled bursts no less than 8 burst per mag. i honestly don't remember a single time when we were instructed to switch to semi-auto and take time aiming for every single shot. we were told to aim between bursts but not too long you were expected to complete your round of fire in sync with the rest of your squad.
    boatma1, otus and btr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    No fascination with the politics or idolizing of their human rights, just the weapons...
    boatma1, deaddesperado and otus like this.
    So, if you were to ask did ancient astronauts visit Earth in the remote past, the answer is a resounding "YES"

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    I bet the thousands of soviet snipers in WWII would like to contest this statement.
    soviet doctrine was re-though and re-defined shortly upon WW2 was concluded, the further improved/re-defined in the 60s as nuclear weapons became defacto main striking force in possible future conflict. it was redefined once more in late 80s to reflect on the fact that it is unlikely that both USSR and adversary would use them unless as symmetrical response to an attack.

thus your argument is invalid.

WELL-KNOW FACT FROM EASILY ACCESSIBLE OPEN SOURCE:

A motorized rifle platoon in the Soviet Armed Forces was mounted in either BTR armoured personnel carriers or BMP infantry fighting vehicles, with the former being more numerous into the late 1980s. Both were led by a platoon leader and assistant platoon leader and consisted of three 9-man rifle squads mounted in three vehicles. In both BMP and BTR squads, the driver and vehicle gunner stayed with the vehicle when the rest of the squad dismounted, and one squad in the platoon would have one of their rifleman armed with an SVD sniper rifle. There was either one empty seat in each BTR or two empty seats in each BMP to accommodate the platoon leader and assistant platoon leader
    ONE SVD-equiped designated marksman PER PLATOON (27 souls)
    boatma1, otus, AKMaadi and 1 others like this.

Banned

Member #
    nowhere but atlanta after sherman burned it
    Liked
    483 times
    You boys are getting smacked. Do you want to say uncle? And the one about snipers is classic.
    boatma1 and AZAK like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors