Would you.........................................take your AK out in the rain? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Would you.........................................take your AK out in the rain?

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Just hit is with compressed air when you get home.
    Evil Minds That Plot Destruction

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Is AK...enough said.

Member #
    Liked
    1350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FADE 2 BLK View Post
    Just hit is with compressed air when you get home.
    Heat gun helps, too.
    22many likes this.
    Back from the Pecos, TX FLOOD Run and Gun in the Sun - er, RAIN.
    WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Since my WASR is parked, I try to give all the steel surfaces a wipedown with an oily patch as a last step to my cleaning process.

Member #
    Liked
    4701 times
    Life or death ..... yes
    Until then ill leave playing army to Rob and his fan boys

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    I live in the area with the most rain in Europe. Weapon that can not be out in the rain or that I wouldnt take out in the rain I dont consider as weapon at all.
    AZAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    My go to Ak has a coat of Rust-oluim paint on it.......I have no problem taking it out in the rain!

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Not only would I, but have done so. First time was my Norinco red bakelite 56 that a buddy of mine just HAD to shoot, so we went to the range. The sky dumped about 1,000,000 gallons of water on us in about five minutes, and he asked if we should leave. I asked him if he wanted to leave, and he said no, so we stayed, got drenched and the rifle just kept on running with steam coming off the barrel. Tossed it in the back of the 4Runner and drove the 30 minutes to the house, expecting to see fresh, fluffy red rust when I got home, but surprise, surprise, there wasn't a speck. So...I leaned the rifle up in the corner of the safe and waited a day. Still no rust. Waited a week - no rust. Four months later, not a trace of rust, whereupon I decided that I might as well clean the thing. Sure enough, I stripped it down all the way and found not one single speck of rust.

I credit this to the treatment I give all my rifles. I strip them down as far as they'll go, clean thoroughly, then leave the clean parts in the sun for a few hours soaking in copious amounts of CLP. I leave the weapon soaking for 24 hours, then wipe down and re-assemble. So far, none of my rifles have ever rusted following this treatment, and they've been out in the rain, mud and God knows what quite a bit.

CLP is the cat's ass, y'all.

The second time was when I attended a 3-gun event on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and did some low-crawling, high-crawling and 3-5 second rushes with my Magnificent Maadi MISR-SA during a gritty, muddy match that was a lot of fun. I literally threw the Maadi down in the mud to do the rope drags on the big tires, and she ran like a champ. I rinsed the rifle out between stages at a water spigot, swabbed the bore and kept on shooting. Probably one of the best matches I have ever attended, despite being soaked to the bone and filthy the whole time.
    10Gauge likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Why not. It was designed as a battle rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRifleman View Post
    Not only would I, but have done so. First time was my Norinco red bakelite 56 that a buddy of mine just HAD to shoot, so we went to the range. The sky dumped about 1,000,000 gallons of water on us in about five minutes, and he asked if we should leave. I asked him if he wanted to leave, and he said no, so we stayed, got drenched and the rifle just kept on running with steam coming off the barrel. Tossed it in the back of the 4Runner and drove the 30 minutes to the house, expecting to see fresh, fluffy red rust when I got home, but surprise, surprise, there wasn't a speck. So...I leaned the rifle up in the corner of the safe and waited a day. Still no rust. Waited a week - no rust. Four months later, not a trace of rust, whereupon I decided that I might as well clean the thing. Sure enough, I stripped it down all the way and found not one single speck of rust.

I credit this to the treatment I give all my rifles. I strip them down as far as they'll go, clean thoroughly, then leave the clean parts in the sun for a few hours soaking in copious amounts of CLP. I leave the weapon soaking for 24 hours, then wipe down and re-assemble. So far, none of my rifles have ever rusted following this treatment, and they've been out in the rain, mud and God knows what quite a bit.

CLP is the cat's ass, y'all.

The second time was when I attended a 3-gun event on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and did some low-crawling, high-crawling and 3-5 second rushes with my Magnificent Maadi MISR-SA during a gritty, muddy match that was a lot of fun. I literally threw the Maadi down in the mud to do the rope drags on the big tires, and she ran like a champ. I rinsed the rifle out between stages at a water spigot, swabbed the bore and kept on shooting. Probably one of the best matches I have ever attended, despite being soaked to the bone and filthy the whole time.
    Yup, I use RIG grease & Barricade myself and haven't had a problem. If the thin film of protectant is there before the water tries to get at the metal then there shouldn't be any problems. For rifles equipped with wood furniture I'd suggest using a quality wax intended to be compatible with the wood finish so you don't have issues with the chems. in the wax attacking the finish. I wouldn't advise waxing the barrel or it's components due to wax becoming chalky when heated. Waxing the metal works great on a bolt gun that will see limited strings of fire.

The trick is to prepare for the weather BEFORE you find yourself out in it. At that point the rifle won't notice and once cleaned/dried it should be fine... I did build a Romy with all the metal painted in Alumahyde II so that it could be completely submerged and water couldn't get to any hidden areas to start rust. Has plastic furniture too so no worries about warping/swelling/retaining moisture.
    Last edited by 56type; 10-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    " Oh yeah, they're ready for somebody....They're not ready for us" - Snakedoc

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Sure I do. Rain=training weather.

I don't beat any of my firearms. When I get back to my shop they get a cleaning and any maintenance they need.
    Wyo Wolverine and SYCABO like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5309 times
    Yep...everything I own. My favorite time to go shooting is when its raining, because nobody else is on the range.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Rob just put screenshots up on the akou facebook page of the bolt carrier of the Npap rusting from sitting outside. Makes me consider cold blueing mine. I don't mind running my rifles in the rain though.
    In cadence: "I don't want no teenage gem, I just want my AKM!"

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Rob has a short video on his FB page (not on YouTube that I could tell) of cleaning the rust off the bolt carrier with steel wool and CLP.

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    Buncha pansies....

IMG_0544.PNG
    Attached Images
    Pre ban Saiga for sale: [Mike Meyers voice] ONE MILLION DOLLARS [/Mike Meyers voice ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors