Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Eastern block snipers

Hi guys, starting a new sticky. Soviet/Eastern block snipers. You can post your legit snipers,ex-snipers or repops. One thing I would like to do here is help guys learn the diffrence between the real and the fake snipers. Feel free to post.

My first

This is a very rare Finn captured Soviet PU sniper. It is a 42 dated Izhevsk. There are only about 5 known legitimate known example, there are many fakes. The Finns only recorded less than 100 in inventroy, maybe even less than 50. These came in to the country in the early 90's as part of the regular shipment of rifles. I am the second owner of this rifle. The guy I got it from pulled it off of the pallets at Century.

I will take and post more pics of this and my 44 dated PU.

Let's see what you have!
    "A charging chariot knows no rank".

كافر

Retired akforum moderator.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For now...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I got my repop MN sniper in from Century today. They pissed me off a bit by padding my order for $12 for a CETME bayonet and a cheap Chinese gunlock. I know I sure as hell didn't ask for those. Amazingly, my son wanted the bayonet for his collection after he saw it and my buddy who bought my 1943 MN wanted the lock! Geez, that worked out.
    This was one of their $350 hex reciever hardwood stock PU snipers for $350.
    I'd call the bore good. Some pitting and a bit dark, but with good rifling. I haven't cleaned it up at all yet. The rest of the rifle and scope is in VG to Exc condition. The scope is quite nice with a sharp clear image in excellent focus. It's a 1933 hex Tula 91/30. I can't find any year markings on the scope. The mag floor plate is forced match with it's serial number. They actually stamped the new number in. No electro-pencil marks. The bolt, curiously, is one digit off the reciever in it's serial number in the "hundredths". A typo or a coincidence? The other numbers all match and it has been rearsenaled. It has the best trigger I have yet felt on a MN. It has a bit of smooth creep and then ramps up to about 6# and breaks cleanly. I can work with that! If it weren't for the creep, I'd call it as excellent as my Mauser's trigger. The stock has a few dents and rubs. Most touched up when they rebuilt it for the scope. The bolt work was very nicely done and functions with excellent feel to it. I'd call it a good buy for $350. I'll clean it up this evening and get photos when all these storms blow over. I wish the bore were better since it IS supposed to be a target rifle, but otherwise it's solid gun and seems to be a good value. Once I get back to the outdoor range, I'll let y'all know how it works!
    "Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Now I know why the bore looked marginal. They claim to sight these in at the "factory". I believe they fired a few rounds to set it up and then shipped it out sans cleaning! I spent an hour with oven cleaner, bore cleaner and alternating between a bronze brush and swabs. Dirt just kept coming out! But eventually I won out and the swabs got cleaner. The bore is excellent. It was just covered in very clingy carbon spooge. That was a very happy surprise to see it "after". It looks just lightly used now. Not new looking like my 1943 model was when I bought it, but excellent and that is fine with me.
    I believe I said earlier it was a 1933. It's a 1935.
    And I believe they ground and re-stamped and typo'd the bolt serial # when it was re-stamped with the new number. That side of the bolt looks ground in it's finish. It's not as polished as the other surfaces. So I believe they re-serial'd it when they did the turn down conversion work.
    My buddy who bought my '43 MN has a unissued Yugo SKS that has a typo like that on one of it's parts. So I guess that isn't unusual.
    I'm much happier now that I've cleaned it up and really see what I have here. If it works as well at the range as it looks in the shop I'll be very happy.
    Edit. It also has a odd rear sight that I haven't seen before. (Except in books.) It has a kind of swoopy curved support ramp and is calibrated out to 2 km. Very solidly made and goes down to just 100m at the bottom. But 2 km seems very optimistic for a 3.5X scoped rifle.
    Another Edit. That padding of the bill bothered me. The numbers weren't high enough on the total. I looked at it close and figured it out. $6 for the bayonet and $6 for the lock are built into the $350 price. They actually itemized it on the bill. So now I suppose I should think of them as unwanted bonus's. I would still rather have just another $12 off the price though.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Rear sight base from the way you described sounds like a M91

http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFe ... htm#Sights

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    OK, now I'm going to have to check my other MN. You're making me feel forgetful. According to that site, I have the early 91/30 sight. But I don't remember my other MN's looking like that and being calibrated out to 2km. I'd have sworn they only went to 1.2km.
    I'll check when I get back to work in the morning.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    OK Two things. I am senile. That is a standard 91/30 sight. I have no idea why I didn't notice that 2km range on the others too.

Also. Here are some pics of my new repop PU MN 91/30 from Century Arms. I'll be heading to the 100 yd range again Saturday with my son. That'll make it a great weekend!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll probably be selling the top pictured 1944 Izhevsk PU very soon.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarnutz
    I got my repop MN sniper in from Century today. They pissed me off a bit by padding my order for $12 for a CETME bayonet and a cheap Chinese gunlock. I know I sure as hell didn't ask for those. Amazingly, my son wanted the bayonet for his collection after he saw it and my buddy who bought my 1943 MN wanted the lock! Geez, that worked out.
    I'd call the bore good. Some pitting and a bit dark, but with good rifling. I haven't cleaned it up at all yet. The rest of the rifle and scope is in VG to Exc condition. The scope is quite nice with a sharp clear image in excellent focus. It's a 1933 hex Tula 91/30. I can't find any year markings on the scope. The mag floor plate is forced match with it's serial number. They actually stamped the new number in. No electro-pencil marks. The bolt, curiously, is one digit off the reciever in it's serial number in the "hundredths". A typo or a coincidence? The other numbers all match and it has been rearsenaled. It has the best trigger I have yet felt on a MN. It has a bit of smooth creep and then ramps up to about 6# and breaks cleanly. I can work with that! If it weren't for the creep, I'd call it as excellent as my Mauser's trigger. The stock has a few dents and rubs. Most touched up when they rebuilt it for the scope. The bolt work was very nicely done and functions with excellent feel to it. I'd call it a good buy for $350. I'll clean it up this evening and get photos when all these storms blow over. I wish the bore were better since it IS supposed to be a target rifle, but otherwise it's solid gun and seems to be a good value. Once I get back to the outdoor range, I'll let y'all know how it works!
    Is that this: http://www.centuryarms.com/shop/inde...oducts_id=1309 ? If so, can I order straight from Century?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco_Diablo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarnutz
    Is that this: http://www.centuryarms.com/shop/inde...oducts_id=1309 ? If so, can I order straight from Century?
    Anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You can order from Century if you have a FFL.
    I sent in the wavier form and can buy ammo from them now.
    My sales rep would let me buy a gun from them but would have to be shipped and transfered thru my FFL dealer, dealer would have to have a copy of their FFL on file with Century before order will be accepted.
    trucking2120

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's the newest member in my collection. It's an all stamped matching 1944 Izzy repro with an excellent bore... . Got some Russian milsurp 7N1 on the way and I'm hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nice looking PU barakmd but don't expect great results from the 7N1 over any other ammo you would shoot through her.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SturmGrenadier
    Nice looking PU barakmd but don't expect great results from the 7N1 over any other ammo you would shoot through her.
    Interesting... Can you elaborate on why not? From what I've read so far about the 7N1, it seems like results were not above and beyond better than other ammo, but they were slightly better. Also, I thought the 7N1 stuff was more consistently manufactured as far a QC goes.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's simple....91/30's don't have SVD barrels in which the 7N1 was designed. Just because it's "Sniper" ammo don't mean any Russian "sniper" that shoots it will be a tack driver.

Look what my 1940 Ex PEM with open sights can do with just plain ole Polish LPS

All I'm saying is don't rely on just the 7N1. If your PU don't produce the results you hope while shooting 7N1 don't get discouraged. Try some Polish, Hungarian or Czech LPS (Silver Tip) in it until you find what it likes.

Please post a range report when ya get a chance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors