Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Why are PU repro scopes so pricey???

Given its simplicity and UN-collectible nature ....why do you think REPRO PU scopes are so pricey??? I've got a repro sniper in my closet and wondering if I should rid myself of it. I mean....its fun but its $300 worth of tube on an $80 rifle. Thoughts???

I will say....It looks damn cool though. Maybe it should just live on the wall.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Re: Why are PU repro scopes so pricey???

Demand.

There are a lot of people out there who want the look/feel of the real thing and can save a few bucks by getting a repro and/or don't want to use an original, for fear of damaging it (but they're built like tanks?). Also, in the last few years, the sniper craze has exploded, especially now that the CMP is running the Vintage Sniper matches. Two or three years ago, you would only find a few PU scopes (of any type) on Ebay, for example. Nowadays, there's pages of them and people are buying them.

As for yours; take it out and shoot it! I couldn't just let it hang on the wall (but I shoot all my originals, too. So, I'm biased )
    AKJP
    I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

I think you are trying to apply surplus prices to new made items.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

AKJP- I am like you in so much that- I shoot everything I have no matter how common or collectible repro or real. Anything that hangs on my wall comes down for a workout from time to time (ofcourse its my mediocre skills what need the workout!)

Scottman- I was just thinking about how all anybody ever talks about regarding the PU is that its a short metal tube with two pieces of glass, in other words a very low tech scope. You can get alot of scope these days for $300 - feels weird to pay that much for one of the simplest , and likely cheapest to make scopes mankind ever created.

It did however come with a little piece of paper which I have since lost saying it was made to the same specs as the original if I'm not mistaken on the same equipment or er....same factory at least. Whats the deal with that?????

What got me thinking about this was that I have been lusting after the Finnish Target mosin's that go in the $800 range. so naturally I begin to re-evalute some things and contemplating ditching a couple pieces to fund my daydreams.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Quote Originally Posted by firebear545
    AKJP- I am like you in so much that- I shoot everything I have no matter how common or collectible repro or real. Anything that hangs on my wall comes down for a workout from time to time (ofcourse its my mediocre skills what need the workout!)

Scottman- I was just thinking about how all anybody ever talks about regarding the PU is that its a short metal tube with two pieces of glass, in other words a very low tech scope. You can get alot of scope these days for $300 - feels weird to pay that much for one of the simplest , and likely cheapest to make scopes mankind ever created.

It did however come with a little piece of paper which I have since lost saying it was made to the same specs as the original if I'm not mistaken on the same equipment or er....same factory at least. Whats the deal with that?????

What got me thinking about this was that I have been lusting after the Finnish Target mosin's that go in the $800 range. so naturally I begin to re-evalute some things and contemplating ditching a couple pieces to fund my daydreams.
    Again, you are comparing apples and oranges.

PU for $80- Stuff that has been collecting dust for 50+ years, and is obsolete for Military use- They either scrap it/toss it or sell it.

PU for $300- They have to make them from scratch; They have to tool up, and produce it for commercial sale. No military sales to help offset the costs. Its not built on any sort of already owned tooling, products, nothing. They are sold in low numbers, so have to charge more.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

whoops...nevermind.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

I still see what you're saying, OP. In the last couple years, repro PU scopes have nearly doubled in price. Does it cost that much more to make them than it did a couple years ago? I doubt it. Do more people want them and are willing to pay for them? Yes.
    AKJP
    I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!

Member #
    Liked
    262 times

The Ukranian made PU scope assemblies (base, mount and scope with lense cover and body cover) are very high quality.., and pretty faithful reproductions. They have always been in the $250 -$275 range AFAIK and purchased. They are a little higher but not that much difference.
    There are now Chinese and Tawainese copes and other eastern bloc scopes of lesser quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOVIET-RUSSIAN- ... 3f108763ef

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Quote Originally Posted by AKJP
    I still see what you're saying, OP. In the last couple years, repro PU scopes have nearly doubled in price. Does it cost that much more to make them than it did a couple years ago? I doubt it. Do more people want them and are willing to pay for them? Yes.
    They could have very well been selling surplus scopes.

Member #
    Liked
    262 times

Depending on the year of the scope and the maker and if it has the scope lense covers, canvas cover, inspection papers and condition the milsurp PU scopes are in the $300 to $450 range. The SVT and PU shared the same scope for part of the production run. The SVT tube is a bit different than on a strictly PU model but interhanges. Slight cam/turret differences as well.

Sponsors