AK Rifles banner

Which RPK Clone to build using AES10b

• Other: specify in post

Votes: 0 0.0%

Which Clone for AES10b

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  hk1123 
#1 · (Edited)
I managed to pick up another Romanian AES10b for a steal here recently. The poll is on which RPK variant to clone using it. I have a AES10b with the metal folder, Vepr 1V, Yugo M72, and Chinese NHM91. I don't have it yet, so I don't know what the trunnion year is.

Thanks,
Nathan

#2 ·
I chose Romanian and would use a military take-off set rather than the wood that came on it.

Reactions: Alfred and otus
#4 ·
i did the normal soviet fixed stock molot clone.
-chopped off carry grip
-russian wood stock set
-sourced proper length bipod
-muzzle nut
-added smooth top cover
-painted black
-soviet sling

should have done
-replaced sight leaf

This is the one rifle I ever regret selling

Good luck with your project!

#10 ·
Think I'm leaning towards the Russian late 80's with plum furniture. The AES10b I picked up is already missing the carry handle. That lends it more to a Russian clone. All I would need is a furniture set, bipod, top cover, rear sight leaf, and a paint job. I already have a top cover and a sight leaf. If it ends up being a late 80's trunnion date then I think that will settle it.

Nathan

#13 ·
So much time and $$ for a folding RPKSN

The rear end on those are hardly standard. Staying fixed stock will save you $600-$1000 easily depending who did the work. I wouldn't want to do that to a aes10b personally.

If you did want to, a guy I talk to here and there has the rail for $140. Rear trunnion is $300, stock is $275-300 I believe if commbloc has any left, you will need the proprietary folding latch to swap on the trunnion and you will have to have someone take a router to the stock.

It can be done though... The parts minus the latch are out there.

Parts to make it a folder:
$740
+ price to fab a latch
+ gunsmith/woodwork

Or another thought is keep it Romanian...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
One more thing before I forget, before you go too far consider a RPK kit... Original AK and Roadrunner (on here, his Gunbroker changed) both have kits I would kill for that are different.

If you went this path I would steer away from anyone but those two personally as I have dealt with Original AK a few times now on grade A gear and I know Roadrunner is as stand up as it gets... All ass Kissing aside their stuff always is top knotch from what I have seen.

Original AK stated in his ad he may work with people on payment timing which could be in your favor. Get one of the green mountain RPK barrels floating around and you have a righteous fixed stock 1970's Russian RPK.

Roadrunner has a Rpks which is the folder, which of course I loathe and have veiwed 100 times on Gunbroker already.

Roadrunner responded to you I saw, I didn't read it so sorry if I am repeating something. I wanted to put the options out there to consider if your heart is set on a Russian RPK. I am a Coca-Cola guy myself, if I could buy one of them I would have done it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I am reading your thread about a Russian RPK clone with interest. I was in the same camp as you; wanting a Soviet RPK but not knowing where to start since no real Soviet RPK kits were around then. I wanted a 1960s or early 1970s look with classic laminated wood rather than the modern black plastic furniture.

Although I am sure there are other routes to go. Here are a couple things I tried:

ROMY RPK PARTS KIT

My first venture into a Russian clone was a Romanian RPK kit.

The basic Romy RPK parts kit is a pretty good choice to clone a Soviet RPK. However, some think it blasphemy to take an all matching parts kit and make it something else. Since the Romanians did not use the Cyrillic alphabet, like the Russians and Bulgarians, it is hard to get one with letters that look right. I have come to agree with leaving real kits alone and will not being cloning my matching 1967 Romy RPK.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

AES-10B

My next venture into Soviet Clone Land was the AES-10B.

The AES10B rifle was first introduced in the $500 range. These sold out quickly. They have now nearly doubled in price for the basic rifle.

To make a decent clone using this rifle you need: Russian wood and grip, non-adjustable bipod, smooth top cover, leaf sight, etc. This route got a bit pricy after a while. Russian wood is expensive, maybe $250 to $300; grips $50; Smooth Top cover $50; leaf sight $75; bipod $150.00. Paint, if you send it out, is $150.00 minimum. Welding over and machining on a Molot Arsenal mark and correct year date is pricy, maybe $150.00 or more. Soon, if you did not buy one when they first came out, you are approaching $2000.00 in parts, labor and shipping. This price does not include a Molot mag or correct sling. In the end you lack correct Soviet selector marks and have all the importer marks on the receiver, unless you spend more money on welding over these marks and marking them correctly. While a great shooter, it missed the mark in my eye.

I have one of these but think it is better left alone as a shooter due to the high cost of converting it. The votes on this thread seem to support the idea of not making it a Russian.

VEPR CLONE

My third venture into an RPK Clone was the VEPR. I missed the boat on the squareback VEPR with bipod.

I subsequently found a guy who was selling off his VEPR parts. He wanted to keep the receiver for another project. I bought the front and rear trunnion, bolt and bolt carrier, op rod, grip screw and base, gas tube, leaf sight, selector, trigger guard, selector stop, FCG and top cover. These numbered parts were matching: front trunnion, bolt and bolt carrier and leaf sight. These were Molot parts for sure but were recent castings, likely made in 2013 based on the trunnion date. These cast parts did not seem to be correct for the 1972 or before build I wanted; I like the dimpled receiver with wood. Also, Molot made RPK barrel parts, the FSB, bipod, cleaning rod retainer, gas block and rear sight base are very hard to find on the loose.

WTS - Russian Molot RPK Kit 7.62x39mm

The VEPR is approaching the mark but with cast parts and the additional labor needed to mark it property you are reaching the $2500.00 mark with barrel, receiver, barrel parts and labor.

REAL DEAL MOLOT RPK – RPKS Kits

Recently, a number of RPKS kits have hit the market. These have been dated 1969r and 1970r and are in BFPU condition. I have seen four or five for sale in the folding stock version and one fixed stock. Like many of this Forum’s sages have written, although these kits are out there now, who knows how many came in or if more are coming? Supply lines for such things dry up quickly. Buy now if you can.

A real Russian RPK kit is the most cost effective way to go if you want authenticity. You only need a Romy barrel and a NDS receiver with dimples and you can finally have a real Russian RPK.

I recently traded into two Soviet RPKs a 1970r RPK and a 1969r RPKS.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

In the end, I invested way more than was necessary to have what I really wanted. Had these real Soviet RPK kits been available, I would have saved lots of money by not going the route of the Romy Kit, AES-10B and VEPR parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.