Best place to mount a Bi-Pod on a Romak-3? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Best place to mount a Bi-Pod on a Romak-3?

I tried mounting the Harris bipod on the forearm of my PSL. This negatively effected group size. I plan to try a reciever mount next.
    I'm beginning to resent paying the highest taxes in the Nation to support a group of people bent on taking away my Constitutional Rights.

Member #
    On yet another Colorado ranch with dumb horses and blind dogs.
    Liked
    0 times

After looking everywhere on the Internet for ways that people had mounted bipods to their PSL’s I decided to go with a Versa-Pod mounted to the receiver. I looked at all of the mounting adapters that they offered and thought the standard and Flat Top models were too big to be placed right in front of the mag. The one I had seen many others use was the Picatinny version but I did not want to mount a rail to the rifle; desiring to keep the number of connection points to a minimum. I liked the Model 103 version (Ruger Mini-14) because of its size and the fact that it had two mounting holes.

The model of Vera-Pod I went with was the “Battle Pack” in 7-9” which comes with all three versions of legs (claw, rubber, ski) and the features I wanted: Pan, Tilt, and Cant friction locks.

Here is what it looks like after I got it mounted:

To do this I needed to create a shim out of 1/8" barstock that was shaped the same as the mount so that the bipod "ring" would clear the lower forend:

Then I just used the shim to mark where I needed to drill the receiver:

Drilled and tapped the receiver:

Bolted everything up using some locktite:

If you wanted to use nuts inside the receiver there is pleanty of room. You also need to mount the lower forend before mounting the bipod adapter.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What size drill, tap and screws?
    ?? ?????, ????? ??????????
    ??????? c??????? ?????

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

6x32 tap and 1" 6x32 Socket Head cap screws with a lock washer.

You could just as easily not tap the receiver at all and just use nylon locking hex nuts inside the receiver. It looked like there was just enough room to do this without having to grind the nuts down (see last pic).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CO_GTS
    6x32 tap and 1" 6x32 Socket Head cap screws with a lock washer.

You could just as easily not tap the receiver at all and just use nylon locking hex nuts inside the receiver. It looked like there was just enough room to do this without having to grind the nuts down (see last pic).

Good call with the locking nuts. Hmmm.. Can someone get a link to the Versapod shown in the pics above?
    ?? ?????, ????? ??????????
    ??????? c??????? ?????

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Versa-Pod Battle Pack 7-9" Model 51 Changeable Foot Bipod $94:
    http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...e%20Pack%207-9

Versa-Pod Model 103 Ruger Mini 14/30 Bipod Adapter $19:
    http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...ipod%20Adapter

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

This looks just like whay I want to accomplish. How do you like your Polymer stock? I have found one on the web, but was wondering how it fits your hand? Is it more ergonomic than the PSL stock that comes standard on the PSL? Does the length adjustment feature lock solidly in place? Any movement or wiggling?

Sorry for the Hi-Jack, but this is exactly what I want to make my PSL look like.
    Bring it On!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I really like mine. I had to do a very minor adjustment with a Dremel to get it to fit just right. The handguard feels just fine and I really like the adjustable stock as I'm 6'5" and the original wood stock was way too short.

The adjustment works off of a socket-head hex bolt so it is solid. The clamp is just to secure the other tube. I like mine a lot and only wish it had a butpad after a couple of hundred rounds down the bore.

Do any of you guys with poly stocks know of a butpad that fits right?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

CO-GTS, thanks for the feedback. I thought the stock already had a butpad. I have to take a closer look at the ones I found on the web.
    Bring it On!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

A question for the more knowledgeable masses assembled here. I just purchased a TGI FPK with the square back NDS receiver from J&G. I would like very much to mount a bipod on the receiver as outlined and pictured here.

But, the area just behind the handguard on this rifle is where the manufacturer info and serial number are engraved. I don't think the holes for the bipod mount will go through the serial, but they will definitely go through the manufacturer info.

Is that an acceptable situation? Or, does the info have to remain unmolested?

Thanks,

-Bob

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr256
    A question for the more knowledgeable masses assembled here. I just purchased a TGI FPK with the square back NDS receiver from J&G. I would like very much to mount a bipod on the receiver as outlined and pictured here.

But, the area just behind the handguard on this rifle is where the manufacturer info and serial number are engraved. I don't think the holes for the bipod mount will go through the serial, but they will definitely go through the manufacturer info.

Is that an acceptable situation? Or, does the info have to remain unmolested?

Thanks,

-Bob
    dont do that, do this:

Quote Originally Posted by B4Ctom1
    This is the best method:

If you look on the underside of your romak's lower forearm you will see a vent/slot. If you are like me and want to add a bipod but don't want to ruin this nearly impossible to replace piece of lumber, then you have to do what I did.

First you buy one of these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=290259

and you put it here, you will need to remove the handguard to install it. That only takes a minute or so:

then you attach the bipod. The harris or fake harris clone (shooters ridge $45 at Walmart) bipods have rubber where they contact the wood so that there will be no damage. As you sinch down the bipod attachment hardware on the bipod it pulls the little inside plate tight against the forearm, but only on the inside of the forearm, where no one will ever see it. I don't beleive this amount of tighening will even mar the inside of it anyways. But the whole idea was to run a bipod without permanently damaging the furniture inside or out.

the bipod comes off easily if you have the kind with the hand/knurled screw release/attach screw on it like mine does. if you do take it off you have to remember if you didnt tighten that stud that it could vibrate/fallout. it doesn't look too bad at all! I love it!

threaded only finger just against the wood or a little bit off of it so that the washer cant bite into the wood or damage it.

The idea is that the bipod and its large rubber inlay contact the stock from the underside of the wood lower, while hanging on by pulling down on the stud with it's own tightening part, and the large metal plate on the inside/upperside of the wood lower are pushing down to create a firm and fairly "non-marring" sandwich on the wood.

pod down:

pod up:
    "Please Lord, protect me from your followers..."

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Um, OK. But there's a small problem. I have the TGI FPK as sold by J&G with the black poly handguards and stock.

My handguard doesn't have that slot on the bottom. I could probably drill a hole, but I'm unsure if the handguard will handle the stress.

-Bob

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Well the part I showed has a large curved backing plate this will distribute the load over a couple of inches of that stock/forearm. Since the screw I suggest to use is left slightly loose, the part that holds on the out side is the bipod contact point or points. The common Harris bipod and the Shooters Ridge or Caldwell clones of the common Harris bipod actually contact in a couple square inches of area. This spreads the load there as well. Additionally the contact area is backed by rubber insulation which should help to prevent damage.
    "Please Lord, protect me from your followers..."

Member #
    Liked
    43 times

Quote Originally Posted by B4Ctom1
    Well the part I showed has a large curved backing plate this will distribute the load over a couple of inches of that stock/forearm. Since the screw I suggest to use is left slightly loose, the part that holds on the out side is the bipod contact point or points. The common Harris bipod and the Shooters Ridge or Caldwell clones of the common Harris bipod actually contact in a couple square inches of area. This spreads the load there as well. Additionally the contact area is backed by rubber insulation which should help to prevent damage.

OK, cool. Thanks for the clarification. I will take a hard look at it and see how I can make it work.

-Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors