Fitting of SVD gas regulator on Tiger required?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Fitting of SVD gas regulator on Tiger required?

I picked up a converted Tiger from the original owner a few weeks ago, he said he bought it, fired it a couple times, converted it, and it was a wall hanger ever since. I believe him because the thing looks completely mint with none of the wear in the usual spots. I'm not the kind of guy to buy something and not shoot it so I took it to the range the next weekend after I picked it up.

I loaded up a magazine of PPU match ammo, fired, went to fire again, and got a dead trigger. Long story short, no matter if the gas was on setting 1 or 2, the bolt would only cycle about a quarter of the way back. Thankfully not enough to cause malfunctions, so I still managed to get it sighted in.

The gas regulator appears to be pretty loose on the gas block. The spot where the latch closes in the notch leaves it wobbling, I can still rotate it about another half turn to 3/4 turn before it fits tightly on there. My theory is that since its not tight, there is some gas escaping from the threads which is making it not fully cycle. Unfortunately I didn't think to leave it unlatched and tightened at the range to test this theory, but even then as nothing would be locked in to place I'm not sure if this would be safe to try.

I remember reading somewhere when I was doing my initial Tiger research months ago that the SVD style gas regulators had to be hand fit to the Tiger (Now that I'm searching for this I can find nothing). Is that generally true, and if so, how does one accomplish that? Does anyone think that there might be something besides the fitting of this part that I should look at as a possible cause of this issue?

Thanks so much!

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Yes they do need to be individually timed to the rifle. Sometimes a one for one swap will not require this but many of the parts in the SVD are hand fitted to one degree or another.

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    use a honing stone or fine grit paper on stone with oil. check constant. if not wrench tight they do lose pressure and short cycle. I and others found that out the hard way.
    sinh ra ở phía bắc đến chết ở phía Nam. sẽ có không có ḥa b́nh cho đến khi thống nhất đất nước. -thế hệ cũ... chúng tôi cung cấp cho Liên Hiệp Quốc chương tŕnh nghị sự 21 v́ vậy chúng tôi có thể chết nhanh hơn từ vắc xin của bạn và trở thành 70% vô trùng hơn trong khi tiết kiệm rừng mưa và forfeiting tất cả mọi thứ để chúng tôi chủ nô lệ toàn cầu mới trong khi thanh toán 25% nhiều hơn cho các tiện ích lưới điện thông minh tiết kiệm năng lượng chúng ta chỉ cần thống nhất-thế hệ mới.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I haven't found any rhyme or reason to what the exact fit needs to be. I have one that is actually loose on its threading and will cycle on either setting with light ball no problem. Most factory SVDs I've shot seem to do ok with them only finger tight but I would go wrench tight if you are having noticeable gas leakage.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good to know, thanks all! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid before I started removing material from a not-inexpensive part. I'll make that next week's project

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors