Romanian PSL's, still worth it today? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Romanian PSL's, still worth it today?

Member #
    Liked
    19198 times
    I like mine, no plans to sell. Very similar to the PSL AZAK has pictured.

The PSL spring loaded butt stock reduces felt recoil. Pleasant to shoot imo.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Is 1500 a fair price for a PLS? Only you can answer that for yourself, but I'd suggest you look at other viable arms in similar price ranges 1st.
    Saiga and Vepr come in both 762x54r and 308
    FAL and PTR both in 308 for about 1000 bucks with plenty of spare parts and mags available.
    Polytech M14 maybe figure 1000 to 1200, heck of a lot better than a Springfield M1A which runs at least 2500 and up
    Then you have the Century C308 which is a Cetme clone built on a PTR receiver for about 700.

20 round mags are standard unlike the PSL, Vepr and Saiga which range from 5 to 10 round mags which are hard to find.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    From dragunov.net

Dragunov dot net - Finnish Sniper Report

"On the ROMAK-3:
    I also own privately a Romanian military PSL made in 1994 and I wanted to bring out some opinions of my own into that seemingly never ending debate about SVD vs. PSL. Regarding accuracy: even though you can find the ROMAK-3 for about a fraction of the price of the genuine Russian SVD, you should buy it. Mine has a Russian military PSO-1 on it and 1PN58 with IR illuminator for night use. I have modified the grip a little and did a trigger job (easy because our service weapons are Sako and Kalashnikov assault rifles which have the same kind of action and trigger assembly).

Now both of these weapons are equally accurate!!! About 3/4 MOA groups constantly. PERIOD.

The world of difference is the ammo. Believe me we have tried it all, everything available. And what we use is the Lapua 7,62 x 53R with 148gr D- 47 bullet, which is the thicker version of the D-46 (also 148gr). It is boat-tail MATCH ammo for the old Mosin-Nagant and Finnish equivalents from the WWII- era.

I don't want you to think I'm biased because the ammo is Finnish too, its simply the most accurate for these weapons. A second choice is the Swedish Norma. The Russian silvertips to my knowledge (and our special forces sniper school's) were never intended to be accurate ammo for SVD and neither is it a match grade ammo for any 7,62 x 54R. Russians simply don't make match ammo for that caliber. It is just better quality normal ammo. (More consistent manufacturing tolerances, better powder and so on). It is somewhat accurate in SVD but not great. Russians have adopted those silvertips for their use because manufacturing match-grade ammo for the SVD would only give marginal results. Big country, big tolerances, you know. The tip is painted silver to recognize it from the other same caliber rounds, especially from WWII- era mass- production ammo. "

The short of it is that if you feed your PSL garbage ammunition, you get garbage accuracy.
    SwampDude likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    is it true that shooting SVT-40's and PSL's over 150gr will ruin the gun? I have seen some posts online that bullets over 150gr can destroy older military guns. Is this true?

What guns are supposed to shoot what ammo?
    WTB:
    K98
    Early Prod Arisaka
    SVT40
    Makarov
    Tokarev
    M1903a3
    M39 mosin

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Ammo makes most all of the difference.
    DSCF7444_zpsb0xytzka.jpg Photo by Holescreek | Photobucket

Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    "The tip is painted silver to recognize it from the other same caliber rounds, especially from WWII- era mass- production ammo. "

I guess he doesn't know very much about Russian ammo from this statement! Completely incorrect.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by the.cheese View Post
    is it true that shooting SVT-40's and PSL's over 150gr will ruin the gun? I have seen some posts online that bullets over 150gr can destroy older military guns. Is this true?

The machine guns near the bottom of this page shoot the heavy 54r: Wikiwand
    "shall not be infringed."

Has only one meaning ... can not be restricted in any way. There is no exception clause, just a period.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Scroll way down
    "shall not be infringed."

Has only one meaning ... can not be restricted in any way. There is no exception clause, just a period.

Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    Quote Originally Posted by the.cheese View Post

SVT40's have an adjustable gas system. No problems shooting heavy ball that I'm aware of.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    In answer to your question: NO. I think Arik in post #2 put it well. Mine will start to string after the third successive shot. For me it just rounds out my Romanian collection. When I bought it they were around $550. I would personally never spend $1,500 for one. SVD is a much better rifle, but the price they command today is very prohibitive.
    Howling Byzantine Uncivilized Barbarian

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    PSL rifles are pretty good shooters. At the current price of $1500 they are over priced IMHO.
    The USA built M76 rifles are far superior. Unfortunately some were not built correctly and suffered from feed & function issues.
    But as a functional DMR it is much superior to a PSL.

Heaver barrel
    bore centered optics
    adjustable gas system
    longer/better LOP and cheekweld
    superior optic
    milled receiver

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Keep your eyes peeled and an occasional deal can still be found on them. Here's one that sold on GunBroker a few days ago for less than $900.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621589420

Nathan

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I love mine and shoot 147 grain silver stripe Russian surplus ammo with great results 100 to 500 yards it does a great job.
    Mine is a complete Romanian PSL not a parts gun and has the more heavy duty RPK type receiver some of the parts guns will have a std AK receiver . The complete guns will bring a premium especially if you have the original 5 and 10 round mags that are serialized to the gun.
    Mags have been running in the $55.00 range so extra mags will cost you.
    I put a Rhineland Arms tiger maple SVD stock set on it because the std buttstock had a rather short length of pull. The longer RA buttstock is much more comfortable for me.
    Laid on some Russian red stain and shot some clear to seal it.
    Prices have gone up on these because they are not being imported anymore. They can be as low as 1200 and as high as 1800.
    I have 12 mags,sling,2 mag pouches,cleaning kit,folding bi pod and scope cover.
    Mine has the 8X42 Belarus made military scope
    Attached Images
    Last edited by fussbudget; 04-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    I love this rifle. They're so freaking cool. I have enough parts to build 3. Just...need...to...find...the...time...

I think $1500 is high for these, but they sometimes go for $1200 with the scope and mags. That's a good deal.

I've been monitoring them closely on Gunbroker for a couple of years. Complete rifles never sell for under $1100. And I can't remember the last time one sold for under $1200.
    Last edited by philippes; 04-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    01 FFL, Gunsmith, and Prop Maker
    NRA Life Member - Benefactor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors