About 95% sure I got scammed on my Tigr purchase Update On Last Post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: About 95% sure I got scammed on my Tigr purchase Update On Last Post

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

About 95% sure I got scammed on my Tigr purchase Update On Last Post

Pretty sure I've been scammed because I'm an idiot.

Sorry about the long read...I needed to vent and it felt therapeutic.

Here is the back story...

I got out of the Marines back in 2010 (0311/infantry with one Iraq deployment as a "pig" in a battalion level scout/sniper platoon) but had a rough deployment north of Fallujah.

When I first got out I was doing sort of okay since everything was fresh/new but then my mother passed away 6 months later. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I dropped out of college, couldn't work, couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate, didn't want to socialize, and would spends months in a tiny bedroom at my dad's house. I even missed out on my kid brother's wedding because I was having an especially bad week.

I was told to apply for disability but I'm stubborn and wanted to figure it out on my own. I was seeing the VA mental health section all this time for various anti-depressants/sleep aids (I've taken every ____-tam in the book) and they basically had me maxed out with little effect (if you know meds, it is 450mg of Welbutrin and 120mg of Cymbalta).

So back in January 2016 I finally applied for disability and sure enough, they gave me 70% off the bat because of the severity of my PTSD (to get 70% for one thing is almost unheard of) and they were able to verify my statements regarding my deployment. They then bumped me up to 100% because of the severity and my inability to work (called TDIU).

I've lived very frugally for the past 4 years and couldn't even think of the last time I bought myself a shirt. I would just do odd jobs around my parents house for cash.

After I was awarded 100%, I got some backpay from when the claim started. I was really excited to finally have some money again...I still felt the same inside though. Money doesn't buy happiness.

When my claim was getting closer to being finished, I started looking at the few items I REALLY wanted. I would spends hours researching various guns, parts, optics, etc.. figuring out EXACTLY what I wanted.

Shooting gives me joy, I'm not a hunter but I love plinking cans while camping or hitting the range. So I decided the only big purchases were going to be an AR15 that's based on a military MK12 and the best of all, a Dragunov Tigr. I'm in my mid 30s and the Dragunov was always one of my favorite rifles every since I was a teenager. A local store had a Tigr and I fell in love...but it was out of my price range back then.

Having money in your pocket after living off Ramen for the past 4 years is a bit dangerous. I was REALLY excited and probably wasn't using the best judgment.

Well, excitement took over common sense and I've been royally burned. I've talked to various friends and they always had good luck with Armslist. I've sold a few things on there too and everything went smooth. I just figured I'll cover my bases and everything will work out.

I found a Tigr for $2800 that had a few flaws (threaded barrel) and it seemed like a good price. The seller was communicative, sent me FFL forms, and we would text each other daily.
    So I mailed off a cashier's check from Wells Fargo.

We (seller and me) would often end up talking about life stuff like family, what we were planning to do that weekend, etc.. He knew I was in rough shape in regards to my disability issues and was very empathetic.

So the past few weeks I've been stockpiling parts. I got my SVD front sight, new bulb/larger battery extension for the POSP, 5 boxes of Wolf white, 5 boxes of PRI, and have spent many hours sanding down/restoring an SVD stock set. I've been trying various stains on the handguards to replicate the stock (right now it's too dark).

A week had past since I mailed the check and the buyer was still waiting for the check to clear. I understand that cashier's check do take time to clear even if it's from a larger bank (due to fraud).

On Thursday (10 working days after sending check) he said my check will most likely clear and he can have it shipped out in a few days.

Now....silence.
    It's been two days of no text replies, I've left messages, emailed,...nothing. Zero communication.

I called the number on the FFL form and now it looks like the whole thing was faked.

To say this is devastating is an absolute understatement. From having nothing for many years and then knowing your favorite rifle is arriving in 2 weeks was making me giddy like a kid on Christmas Eve....and it hurts even more because I've been stockpiling parts and ammo in anticipation. I've been irritating so many of my friends because I couldn't stop talking about the Tiger that was coming.

Now that I'm searching around the internet, I see there is a lot of scammers on Armslist.

I've been slowly building up my AR15 using ar15.com and probably have 4-5 transactions for used parts. All went 100% smooth/easy. I think the ease of those transactions gave me false security in thinking my Armslist transaction will go smoothly too.

Now my anxiety is through the roof and I feel like absolute shit. I just want to crawl into a hole. Can't believe I'm so gullible and stupid.

I guess this is a warning but after doing some searching, it's seems everyone is already aware of the scammers on Armslist. Guess I live and learn.

I just need to figure out what I'm going to do now...just sell off all my parts or hunt for another one. It will take many months to save up again but I guess it's worth it in the long run.

Thanks for everyone's help on the forum for the short time I popped in. Take care.

I still have an SVD (Chinese) bipod coming in the mail too.

I just want to throw-up right now.

Last edited by Regulatori; 03-08-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    SixShooter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    60 times

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    He waiting until the cashier check cleared, pulled the funds, and THEN immediately stopped talking to me.

Cashier's check take about 7-10 days to clear...when you can actually access the full amount of the funds. Since the checks can easily be faked, banks take time to verify them before the customer can cash them out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    839 times
    1. Don't sweat it. We live and learn. You could have easily been taken for twice that if it were some other item or with tons of extras. I've made mistakes in business and lost that kind of money. It happens. Don't let it happen again and learn from it. It's absolutely not the end of the world.

2. Hope it still comes and keep up the comms. Try to research this guy. Someone had to have cashed it. See if the bank can get his info.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Wells Fargo is now saying it was cashed a week ago. They can't get the funds back nor can they tell me what bank it was cashed at. All I can do is take legal action which I have no money to do.

Sorry for whining, but for someone that was expecting to make one big purchase for the year (2017), it's significant.

I got decent back pay but I had to pay my father back so I'm back to living month to month. Again, sorry to whine. My just sick thinking about it.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    If anyone wants to have a go at him, I'm about 100% sure this is the same guy.
    ARMSLIST - For Sale: Russian Tiger Dragunov SVD

In the above it mentions a surgery...he mentioned that during the first email reply back.

He even mentioned during a phone call he was doing some pipeline work over in Texas.

Here is the original ad that I used...
    ARMSLIST - For Sale: Russian Tiger Dragunov

If anyone wants to try contacting him, he went by the name XXXXXXX (redacted)....I was making the check out to his wife supposedly. Looking back I was such a moron.
    Last edited by Regulatori; 03-08-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Regulatori,
    We have all been screwed at least once. I had a 07SOT flake out on me after getting $2k of my money. He went off the deep end and didn't come back from it. Could I afford to loose it, no. But, it wasn't the end. You will find another Tiger.

Member #
    Liked
    1524 times
    Go to YOUR police department ASAP. Bring all your information on him/her.

They will call his local PD. If he's still scamming, they might be able to nab him. DO NOT WAIT.

The police will be able to obtain where the check was cashed, subsequently acquiring an image of this person. Was it a physical address or a PO box?

If a physical address, check Google maps to see what kind of area it is.
    SYCABO, otus, Tankboy and 3 others like this.
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Member #
    Liked
    385 times
    Yes, you need to get law enforcement involved asap. If the money went out of state, it's something the guy could easily do prison time for.
    SYCABO and otus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I would think that faking a ffl license would be a serious crime. Good luck with tour ordeal
    otus and Leviathan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mga4848 View Post
    I would think that faking a ffl license would be a serious crime. Good luck with tour ordeal

Yes I think the agency would pop a few hard ones on that.
    otus, Tankboy and Leviathan like this.
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    I had a seller flake out on me one time (said he'd severely injured his hand at work and had me communicating with his girlfriend!). This went on for a while so I grew impatient and I googed his name and address, found out where he worked and called his boss and told his boss he had my money and hadn't sent the rifle yet. The boss was understanding and talked to him. Surprised the guy I went this route. Got on his Fakebook account and found pictures of his home, cars and big assed dog! Oh and the rifle was in a few images as well.

I also contacted the sellers local PD and told a helpful officer what this guy did to me. He paid a visit to his home and told me later he saw the rifle box on his kitchen table! The seller was real pissed because the cop came by when he was smoking a joint!

He did send me the rifle finally so it had a good ending for me.

Do not kick yourself about the deal gone bad at this point, you've learned your lesson. But I would take measures like I did to make his life miserable without threatening or hurting him physically. Get your money's worth out of him!
    otus likes this.
    "There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth ...
    not going all the way, and not starting."

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    There are a lot of fake listings on Armslist for Tigrs. I check occasionally to see if there is one near me. When I offer to meet face to face, I never get a response. I report the listings as scams but I see them pop up later with the same item info. I guess the scammers know a tigr at a low price is alluring enough to make people lose their judgement.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My wife had a recent issue with a photographer who had not provided her with her pictures. The better business Bureau website has several resources that might help. Some of them include the FBI Internet crime division and your state's attorney general. Might want to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Knowingly jerking a veteran around like he did after you told him your hardships should be a federal offense in my opinion.
    evolixsurf and BR7.62 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors