Liked
    959 times
    What happened?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    UPDATE

Sorry I couldn't update sooner, the case was still going on and didn't want to jeopardize anything before I knew the full details.

I contacted the local police and was put in touch with a detective. The detective was sympathetic to my situation and made it a priority.
    The detective had me explain the situation and then forward all of the contact info (texts/emails).

The detective then keep in contact weekly with updates but not revealing too much information.

Last week the detective told me they got a successful subpoena and the case will now be quickly moving forward. The department would be contact the local person within a day.

Skip ahead a 3-4 days.

Today the detective calls me to explain the whole situation.

-The whole time I was corresponding with someone totally different than the name given to me. This person could have possibly been out of the country.

-The phone number of the caller was spoofed so it gave the correct Kentucky area code.

-The actual person I sent the money to/cashed it (in Kentucky) was also scammed by the same person.

To make this less confusing from here..

Woman = person in Kentucky with the name/address my check was mailed to.
    Male/guy = actual scammer. No idea where he's located.

-This is the part that confuses me. It was some scam where he (main scammer) tells her (woman in Kentucky) a check is coming to her address with her name on it and she needs to send a different check to him (I don't fully understand it). I'm assuming he used my name.

-So this local woman receives my check and deposits the check at a local bank. I'm assuming this woman then sent money to the real scammer. I don't understand how this scam works but it really doesn't matter at this point.

-The detective didn't go into detail when asked "Why would someone deposit a random check from someone across the country and think it was legit. Why wouldn't they see that as odd and triple verify the name before cashing it....you know, just to be 100% sure before they cash a random $2400 check." The detective responded "yeah...uh.." and changed the subject. I'm a stupid-ass, the other person is mega-dumbass.

The person I sent the money to in Kentucky is now going to pay me back.

The detective tells me it's an older woman with a professional career that can afford to pay me back. Luckily it wasn't some deadbeat meth head. The detective is going to make sure I'll have a certified cashier's check (for the exact amount) sent to me certified mail in the next week or two. They're going to reduce the women's sentence/penalty if she's able to get the check out quickly.

So that's the condensed story. At least I'm getting my money back and learned a lesson not to be trusting regardless on the positive vibes, friendliness, etc..

If anyone has a Tigr they want to sell for a decent deal, let me know. It doesn't have to be immaculate...I just want a shooter, not a perfect collection piece.

I still have boxes of ammo, SVD front sight, extended battery, SVD furniture, SVD (knock-off) bi-pod, etc.. that I really want to put to use. The Dragunov is still one of my dream rifles. Thanks
    Last edited by Regulatori; 03-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    10Gauge, otus, fly and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Glad to hear this, but I still hope that SOB scammer gets his.
    otus likes this.
    America; We'll cross a frozen river on Christmas to kill you in your sleep. Not kidding, we've done it before.

WTB: Russian Izzy AK-74 type C "lazy" dust cover, Russian Izzy AK-74 type B cleaning rod, Russian Izzy AK-74 type A lower handguard retainer, and a Russian Izzy AK-74 type B selector. *PM if you have these or have seen a ad floating around*

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5068 times
    Glad to hear it worked out in your favor, many times situations like this don't.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1524 times
    Glad you put the effort in and straightened it out.

I have to wonder though... They way you described this woman, sounds like a "victim" but also having (possible) charges brought against her?
    evolixsurf likes this.
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponmark View Post
    Glad you put the effort in and straightened it out.

I have to wonder though... They way you described this woman, sounds like a "victim" but also having (possible) charges brought against her?
    I had this exact thought too at the time. I can't go into details but the way the detective described seemed like the woman may have doing something wrong when corresponding with police...like lied to the police about something or changed her story. I don't know the whole details. I'm assuming it's not major but enough to possibly go on her record.

Member #
    Liked
    694 times
    The part about the woman is absolutely fishy. Had to be up to something, unless she sells some product or performs some sort of services, no one just gets checks from party A, and receives instructions from party B. Strange

really glad you got your money back man!!
    Trade plus cash for:
    Need Izzy Rear sight leaf TK799
    Need Tula Rear sight leaf
    МЛ6218

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2108 times
    Sometimes it goes like this...,
    If the scammer is off shore (foreign country) and they want to hide that fact. And since a domestic Cashiers Check is worthless for international money transfer.

The scammer gets a US person to act as intermediary. They represent themselves as the seller and receive and cash the check from the buyer..

Then the US person gets an International Money Order or Western Union transfer. Now the deal is they (intermediary) gets to keep say $500 of the $2800 original amount and forward the $2300 by Western Union or International Money Order to the scammer.

Sometimes the intermediary is scammed as well into into believing they are merely performing a service for a reason the scammer gives them. The scammer does all the fakery work of documents & pics etc.

Not saying this is how the OP's went down but it is one of the scams.

I was almost caught in one similar that some friends narrowly escaped from when the scammer/intermediary got busted like in this case. So my friends transaction never took place but was only a day or two from sending the Cashiers Check and I was behind them if theirs went through and they received the items etc. Then I was going to purchase the same item as well.

Some bad people out there., especially if the money is in bigger numbers.
    otus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    That is some sketchy $hit there.
    otus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    709 times
    In another lifetime I worked in banking and we saw shit like this all the time.
    "God's away on business."

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Yeah, I'm really naive to scams. Some of these are so damn elaborate it's a bit mind blowing how much work people go through.

I did pick up another rifle in the meantime (An M24 sniper rebuild) so I may just end up selling off all of my parts/ammo for the Tigr build

Anyone want to take a guess on what this would be worth as a package?

-Front SVD sight (no lug) looks new.
    -Full SVD furniture w/cheek pad
    -PSO battery extension
    -160 rounds of 54R (148gr Prvi Partizan and Wolf, both non-corrosive)
    -SVD bipod (copy) but well made/never used

I don't even know where to begin. Would love to sell everything as a package. Thinking I'll be able to find even a well used/beater Tigr for $3000 is sounding more and more difficult. Like I said, if anyone has any leads on one, please let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    Not sure what a decent price is, but a gun store in town has one for sale for $5k :/

Glad this shitshow was able to end in your favor and the money returned.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    So let us know when you actually get the funds back.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Just got a cashier's check for the full amount in the mail today via Registered Mail. Went to my bank, got it verified, and will have 100% available by tomorrow AM.

Hell of an ordeal but it all worked out in the end.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2108 times
    Good outcome.. Ya dodged a bullet.
    ak737 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors