Didn't think I wanted this.....FPK - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Didn't think I wanted this.....FPK

Tia

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Was told it was modified by an outfit called Tennessee Gun. The barrel is threaded 5/8 x 24 and the gun has a 2 stage trigger (not sure if that is original) that seems very nice. Could not find much info regarding Tennessee Guns.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    Was told it was modified by an outfit called Tennessee Gun. The barrel is threaded 5/8 x 24 and the gun has a 2 stage trigger (not sure if that is original) that seems very nice. Could not find much info regarding Tennessee Guns.
    TGI is Tennessee Gun International. They imported many FPK/PSL rifles as did Century Arms. They are no longer in business due to some firearm violations.
    They built PSL's as well as importing them and built some of the paratrooper models as in the link posted above.
    They never produced a firearm on an FPK base like your pics etc. As far as I know. Looks to be one-off home or smith work.
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-21-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Tia

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    TGI is Tennessee Gun International. They imported many FPK/PSL rifles as did Century Arms. They are no longer in business due to some firearm violations.
    They built PSL's as well as importing them and built some of the paratrooper models as in the link posted above.
    They never produced a firearm on an FPK vase like your pics etc. As far as I know. Looks to be one-off home or smith work.
    Thanks for the info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    I agree with Akblue. There were a lot of TGI marked Romanian receivers that came in a while back. I have found that those receiver were out of spec and required a lot of work on the rails and a times had some pretty good warping with rotation of the long axis of the receiver clockwise looking from the back side of the receiver. The parts kits these were made with also, at times had scrubbed front trunnions which usually meant the front trunnions and barrel were from a different rifle. If you have access to a set of headspace gauges, check it. That's a medium round, not a light round and you don't know anything about the builder. Just because it's marked TGI doesn't mean they built it.
    Tia likes this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    Actually the receivers were from Nodak Spud (NDS). The optics rails on many of them were unfinished and about .020 too wide. This was a Romanian issue vs TGI or NDS who simply placed the rails on the receivers.
    I built a couple if those receivers without issue.

I built an AK54r with one of the receivers. It did require milling the optics rail with a 60 degree dovetail cutter as noted. No other issues with the receiver.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-21-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    Tia likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    Meh, so, I don't agree with everything akblue has said. Yes, there was a period when TGI built on nodak receivers, and yes, those photos of his are of a nodak square back receiver. Those were pretty uniform. The two rifles darkly photoed below are TGI guns built with Romanian receivers. The one on the left is a FPK paratrooper, the right is a standard ROMAK III imported by TGI, not built by TGI. These two are Romanina and not nodak. Remember, TGI imported, then built, then built crappily.

Last edited by docwade; 12-21-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    docwade., you are right. TGI had both Romanian and USA made receivers (NDS). I read right past that at the beginning of your thread above.
    The Romanian receivers were more troublesome from the issues reported by those who built on them. Some of the TGI rivet and other work was not top notch either.

In a related note I built a M76/PSL hybrid on a Wiselite/Patterson milled receiver using a partial PSL kit. It is a good shooter.

docwade likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors