Make this CB work (pics)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Make this CB work (pics)

I have a CB and scanner that I got from Ebay years ago. I have a long antenna for them. That is the base of the antenna in the pic. The CB has the large threads for the antenna and the scanner has a hole for a car antenna plug. The CB has power leads, but the scanner has a hole for a plug. I want to make a clandestine rig that I can just throw up when needed. I have a deepcycle 12V to run them. What pieces do I need for each to connect to my antenna? What plug do I need to power the scanner? I dont know where to look for these parts either. I was hoping to go some place local. Thanks!!

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any truck stop or Radio Shack will sell you an antenna cable.

The truck stop may have the scanner antenna, also, but RS will definitely have it.

You'll need two antennas.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The antenna looks like it is 3/8"-24. You'll need a mount that has a 3/8"-24 stud. The other end of the coax should have a PL-259 connector on it. That will mate up to the SO-239 connector on the radio.

For the scanner antenna, I bought a splitter that goes on the car radio antenna. One end goes to the radio, the other end goes to the scanner. It works pretty good.
    If voting changed anything, politicians would make it illegal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What connection do I need to use the scanner with the antenna that I already have?

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by southernpride72
    What connection do I need to use the scanner with the antenna that I already have?
    You will not do your scanner any favors sharing the antenna with the CB simultaneously.

They make adapters that will step down the CB antenna fitting to the scanner input.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /0748.html

This is the one I was talking about. You share the antenna that the car radio is using. This one is discontinued, but I have seen them elsewhere, mostly at hamfests and swapmeets.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK picked up the coax and adapters. Powered each one up independently hooked to the antenna. I just held the antenna for the test. I only got static I know the scanner works because I tested it in my truck. Ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There may not have been any CBers on the air at the time. No one to hear you talk, and no one talking for you to listen in on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by American_Infidel
    There may not have been any CBers on the air at the time. No one to hear you talk, and no one talking for you to listen in on.
    But there should always be a weather report on the scanner/weather radio right?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    True, there should be a weather report.. You're antenna may need to be grounded and securely mounted to the vehicle body in order to receive/transmit properly

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Holding it doesn't create a good enough ground plane.

You have to mount the antenne to your vehicle properly.

If you want a rig that you can pull-off without dealing with leaving a mount, use a magnetic mount antenna for the CB. They aren't great, and you're FAR better off with a real mount, but if your priority is covertness, then it's the logical choice. One advantage to using the magnetic mount antenna is it already has all the cable and connectors on it. So you just plug the radio into power, plug the antenna's cable into the back of the radio and put the antenna on top of your car. The disadvantage is it will cut your performance WAY down. It's the trade off for protability.

Use a "y" adapter for your radio antenna. Leave the free end under the dash, then you can just put power to the scanner, and plug in the cable. I don't know as much about scanners honestly, but alot of locals use the trunking stuff, and there just may not be anyone to listen too on the scanner if it only scans frequencies no one uses anymore. Here in Virginia Beach they simlucast all the new fangled digital signals on the old scanner frequencies so you can still hear everything with an old style scanner. I haven't heard of too many other cities doing that though.

Sponsors